Do you need LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Afkamp, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

Seriously do I really need LTE if I'm already getting 5-6 mb/s down on my iPhone 4s with AT&T, or is LTE gonna be a game changer. I personally can't think of anything that I would benefit from with a download speed faster than that on a phone. What about you guys and girls, what do you think?

2. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

if you are getting 5-6mb/s I don't really think you do, but hey that's only my idea

3. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Well AT&T's lte network is so small, no currently you don't need it since the current iPhone 4s supports HSPA+ which enables you to get the good speeds. However, Verizon has a huge lte network blanketing many areas and since Verizon is a CDMA network, it does not benefit from HSPA+ so the 3G speeds on Verizon are manageable but not 5/6 mbs like AT&T so yes lte is a worthy feature to add to the next iPhone. Sprint however is the loser with no currently deployed lte network, they will gain nothing from lte at the moment.

4. Kevin1270

Kevin1270 Member
    Bronze

What about battery life it's a big problem on LTE my CDMA Verizon iPhone battery is worse than my old AT&T iPhone (just my 2 cents)

5. bikerboy

bikerboy Member
    Bronze

To my current knowledge and correct me if I am wrong please but Verizon iPhone 4s is a global phone with both gsm and CDMA support and antennas so sure it will use more battery but is still awesome to have a phone that can work on every network in the world , oh and on Verizon you can get your unlock code after 90 days from getting your iPhone 4s activated which is a huge deal to me. So the cost of little bit of life battery isn't much
    Back to the subject lte 4g if and when iPhone comes up with 4g is when I will go that way again , so far unstable , more battery usage and god it made me hate Android phones even more, that's why my Samsung charge is turned off and I went and bought the iPhone 4s 3G works just fine with no breaking up

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Biker boy you are correct that the iPhone 4s is a world phone but it is on every carrier, for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. And because both antennas are never at work at the same time, that doesn't decrease battery life.

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Rogers is now pushing LTE at 40MB. At those speeds I'd pay a premium for a 60GB cap and have it replace the home ISP, for a net savings of course.

Sent from Tapatalk

8. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Shazam!

9. daddyd302

daddyd302 Member
    Bronze

I got LTE on my Galaxy Nexus and it's freaking amazing. I also have my iPhone 4S on Sprint and it's so freaking slow..... I thought about switching to Verizon's iPhone until I realized that Verizon's 3G is as slow as Sprint's. Well at least it's pretty slow here in Milwaukee.

I usually use my iPhone 4S for calls and gaming but for surfing the web, netflix, watching a movie or streaming, I go with my Galaxy Nexus. There's no going back once you're on LTE, it's just so fast. I average around 10-20M, but fastest speed I've seen is 34M. Upload is between 5M and 19M.

10. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Sprint is #3 in regards to data speeds. They have an overloaded infrastructure. Verizon is #2, at data speeds. AT&T is #1 because it uses GSM.

11. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

My iPhone 4s

Attached Files:

12. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

You're right about that! After experiencing LTE on my iPad, I really don't use my 4S much. It's just as fast as my home connection. I would almost consider dropping my data plan down on the 4S but I'm still grandfathered for unlimited data. Guess it's just a matter of what suites your needs.

13. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

What is LTE? !

14. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

15. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

Nope, there are no LTE networks in NZ and there won't be for at least 5 years. Even the 3G coverage with my current carrier (Vodafone) is a bit woeful, so will be switching later this year.

16. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

What is LTE?

17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I'm on Sprint. My data speeds are either tragically bad or hysterically bad. I can't decide which one, but I do know that it makes me want to both laugh and cry at the same time. Here's one that's actually pretty decent for Sprint in my area:

238445557.png

I occasionally see a full 1MB upload but never download. Back in December I was getting single-digit download speeds consistently. That's 56K dialup modem speed! I can't begin to describe the inhumane things I would do for LTE.

18. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

wtf.jpg

I would go crazy with those speeds! Time to consider a new carrier...

19. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah, this definitely blows. I looked at AT&T and it will add almost $100/month to my bill. I thought I could get it done for only $50 more per month but I miscalculated the data fees. For now I'm staying put and hoping that the Network Vision upgrade program gives me some relief. If not I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pony up the extra $$.

20. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

And not in a positive life affirming way! :ROFLMAO:

Yikes! $100 more a month will definitely add up quick. What about Verizon?