Do you NOT use iMessage?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm curious, as an iOS user, do you happen to NOT use iMessage?

Ps: I looked for an iMessage forum section, but couldn't find one. Hence I posted this here...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The only reason I can think of for disabling it is if you constantly switch your SIM back and forth between an iPhone and a non-iOS device. Having to disable it each time you remove it from the iPhone might become tedious and some people might forget.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
My elder son is a youth minister of a fairly large church. He has to use a 3rd party group calling app that requires iMessage be off. He forgets to turn it back on or just doesn't bother to do so.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My elder son is a youth minister of a fairly large church. He has to use a 3rd party group calling app that requires iMessage be off. He forgets to turn it back on or just doesn't bother to do so.
How does iMessages affect the third party app?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There are times I wish it was a separate app. I also find it a bit confusing with how contacts work. For example, iMessage between my wife and I uses her iCloud email. I think this has to do with her default outgoing send preferences, but I could be wrong. With SMS, you have the consistency of a phone number being the contact point.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Sending a photo or video to my mother I have to be on cellular only, with WiFi off. Other times I try to always use iMessage. I don't have many people that have other phones separate from the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There are times I wish it was a separate app. I also find it a bit confusing with how contacts work. For example, iMessage between my wife and I uses her iCloud email. I think this has to do with her default outgoing send preferences, but I could be wrong. With SMS, you have the consistency of a phone number being the contact point.
That disadvantage you mentioned is needless and preventable. She could still have the consistency of her phone number being the contact point. To fix it, have her remove her email from the iMessages settings. She doesn't need it since she has an iPhone. After she removes it from iMessages, her phone number will be the only contact point. If she doesn't want to remove it, she just needs to have you (and everyone else who texts her from Apple devices) start a new texting thread with her by texting her phone number rather than her email address.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sending a photo or video to my mother I have to be on cellular only, with WiFi off. Other times I try to always use iMessage. I don't have many people that have other phones separate from the iPhone.
That's not normal. You should be able to send photos and videos through iMessages. It sounds like there is something wrong with your phone.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
That's not normal. You should be able to send photos and videos through iMessages. It sounds like there is something wrong with your phone.
I wasn't clear enough I suppose. She's not on an iPhone anymore. AT&T told me because of that, I need to be on cellular only to send her a video or photo. Messages are fine on WiFi.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That disadvantage you mentioned is needless and preventable. She could still have the consistency of her phone number being the contact point. To fix it, have her remove her email from the iMessages settings. She doesn't need it since she has an iPhone. After she removes it from iMessages, her phone number will be the only contact point. If she doesn't want to remove it, she just needs to have you and (everyone else who texts her from Apple devices) start a new texting thread with her by texting her phone number rather than her email address.
I agree, but you're relying on non-techies to do this. Sure I can do it for her, but most don't take the time to set their default contact, conversation starter. It all ends up feeling a bit muddled in my Messages.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wasn't clear enough I suppose. She's not on an iPhone anymore. AT&T told me because of that, I need to be on cellular only to send her a video or photo. Messages are fine on WiFi.
You are mistaken. It doesn't matter if you are on WiFi or not. WiFi doesn't disable your cell signal. As long as the cell signal is still active, you can send pics and videos to non-iOS devices. You don't have to disable WiFi, which is what you said in your original post. I think you misunderstood AT&T. What they were saying was they wouldn't go through your WiFi like an iMessage would.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There is a lot of misunderstanding about iMessages in this thead. I think the only valid reason we have seen so far is the one I brought up.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You are mistaken. It doesn't matter if you are on WiFi or not. WiFi doesn't disable your cell signal. As long as the cell signal is still active, you can send pics and videos to non-iOS devices. You don't have to disable WiFi, which is what you said in your original post. I think you misunderstood AT&T. What they were saying was they wouldn't go through your WiFi like an iMessage would.
Ok well when I try to send a photo or video to my mother when on WiFi it doesn't work. When I turn on cellular it doesn't work either because it's still taking the WiFi I'm on. It only works when I'm off WiFi and on cellular. I spoke to AT&T for a little while regarding this.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok well when I try to send a photo or video to my mother when on WiFi it doesn't work. When I turn on cellular it doesn't work either because it's still taking the WiFi I'm on. It only works when I'm off WiFi and on cellular. I spoke to AT&T for a little while regarding this.
I've told you why this is happening to you before. It's because you turn off cellular data. Stop doing that and you'll be fine. You should never need to disable WiFi to send pics and videos to Androids. It uses cellular data. WiFi is irrelevant. This is a problem you are creating by disabling your cellular data and it has nothing to do with iMessages. She has an Android. You're derailing the thread.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I've told you why this is happening before. It's because you turn off cellular data. Stop doing that and you'll be fine. You should never need to disable WiFi to send pics and videos to Androids. It uses cellualar data. WiFi is irrelevant. This is a problem you are creating by disableing your cellular data and it has nothing to do with iMessages. You're derailing the thread.
My bad. I'll get the train back on the track.

A photo just successfully got sent to my mom while on WiFi and cellular at same time, but a few days ago when on both I tried sending a video to her and it wouldn't send period until I went off WiFi and only on cellular.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My bad. I'll get the train back on the track.

A photo just successfully got sent to my mom while on WiFi and cellular at same time, but a few days ago when on both I tried sending a video to her and it wouldn't send period until I went off WiFi and only on cellular.
I just told you why this is happening. You're not reading my posts and you're still derailing the thread. It has absolutely nothing to do with iMessages. Again, this problem you are having sending picitures to Androids is because you disable cellular data. You need to stop disabling cellular data to fix this problem. Please start a new thread if you need more help.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I definitely don't think it should be a separate app as you suggested @chris. I think that would just be a bandaid for those who don't know how to use it or understand why it's sending messages from their email when they want it to be sent from their phone number. This is completly within our control. Don't add an email address if you don't need it or just tell people to send messages to your phone number rather than your email. Making it a separate app would be disadvantageous for the bulk of users. It's nice to be able to fall back to SMS if there is a problem with sending iMessages (you don't have to load up another app and copy and past the message over) and it's nice to consolidate messages with iOS contacts and non-iOS contacts in one app.

Skuya65

Apr 12, 2015
South Dakota
I have NO issues with sending iMessages... whether it be to an Android... Blackberry.. or another iPhone users.. or... some other cell phones.. I can send video.. photo's and the like... if I send it to an iPhone user the bubble will be Blue... all others are green... also.. I never disable anything...

Sent from a very sexy device.... Rawr...