Do You Now Feel Screwed by Apple?

Did You Need Steve Jobs/Apple to Choose Your Cellular Company For You???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
:(Quote:
Originally Posted by daziPhone
Go to: freetheiPhone.org it's a organization to stop exactly what you are talking about. I agree 100% and you could not have said it better.

DaziPhone,
I thank you for the wonderful information you provided. I went to the site and added my name. I hope this site's (Everything iPhone) admin don't see this as complaining. The exclusive contract is a very important (iPhone) issue. I feel like such a fool for buying into the iPhone madness. I have sat back and given long hard thought as to how we were all "Corporately Screwed". I already had/have a contract with Sprint on three lines. I did not need another contract. It would have been more financially sensible for me to upgrade one of my Sprint phones to the iPhone. Unfortunately, that was not an option due to the Exclusive Contract.

I finally added up the true cost of the iPhone with the minute plan. 79.99 dollar plan x 24= 1919.76 (higher with tax) plus the cost of the iPhone 8GB 599.99 + 1919.76= 2519.75 (not including tax or). The iPhone is a wonderful device, but is it worth 2519.75++? I must have been crazy, to fall prey to Apple & AT&T's marketing blitz. I admit, I did not figure the entire cost of the phone before buying. I am not so much complaining about the dollar factor, as I am the way I was bamboozled into spending such cash. I know other companies are watching this businesss model closely in hopes of duplicating it. Next it will be that you can't buy a certain shirt without buying the pants that the company has decided you will buy. How would you like to buy a quart of milk, and the company specifies what glass you will buy and drink it out of? I know it sounds crazy, but that is exactly what took place with the iPhone.

The only way that we as consumers, can stop this trend is to return the iPhone and cancel our contracts with AT&T (if we were not already a customer pre-iphone). I saw a bumper sticker the other day that made a lot of sense. It read, "Stop Bitching and Start a Revolution". Well, I'm starting mine. I am returning the iPhone and cancelling my service with AT&T tomorrow. If Steve Jobs/Apple one day realizes my (our as consumers) right to choice, then I will buy another one. If He/They don't, then I can live without Apple's products. There are a lot of things in this world that we can't change (I.E., High Gas Prices). I can change being manipulated into a contract with a carrier, by a company with whom I chose to buy a device. Stand up now and let Apple/AT&T (and more specifically Apple) know how you feel about this, or don't cry later when other companies are doing it also...Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Cellphone exclusivity is nothing new. With Apple and AT&T, it's the length of the exclusivity that raises eyebrows. As consumers, you do have a choice. You can choose to purchase an iPhone with AT&T service or choose another product. If you want a Treo 755p, then you'll have to go with Sprint. If you want a Dash, then it's nothing but T-Mobile. Feel like a Blackjack, then hope back on board with AT&T, because they are the only ones who sell it. You see where I'm going.

As far as the plan goes, it's cheaper than competing smartphones/plans. Is it more than a pedestrian cellphone -- sure is, but look at the feature set. Again, not everyone needs to check email, surf the web and converge their iPod into their phone. Ultimately, those who want those features must make a choice. Are these features worth the price of the hardware and service costs. For me, it's a definite YES. You've made your decision and voted with your wallet. I'd hesitate to say you're starting a revolution. In fact, I think it's quite the contrary. The iPhone is a revolutionary device and it will change how we perceive cellphones going forward.

In the words of this great site, "The Revolution has started...and people are talking.":cool:

Best of luck with your cellphone pursuits. If you go back to Sprint, I do highly recommend the Treo 755p. Great phone and the data package won't dent your wallet too much.

-Chris

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
BTW, I'm not voting because there is no "correct" answer. The poll should read, "Do you think cellphone manufacturers have the right to exclusive contracts with wireless providers?"

Yes or No.

You might find me voting "No", but that still doesn't change my opinion on their businesss practices. Apple is simply playing ball the way Motorola, Samsung, LG and Palm have done for years...only smarter.

-Chris

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Ok I don't usually post on senseless topics, but I absolutely hate it when people make things out to be so much worse than they really are. Thats exactly what this thread is.

Do you honestly expect people to believe that the iPhone costs over $2500 to own? If you do then shame on you. Thats not the cost of your iPhone, thats the cost of owning something that requires a service. Are you returning your TV because it will cost you about $3360 (avg cable bill of $140/mo) to watch your favorite TV shows for the next 2 years. While your at it call Sony or Panasonic or whoever your TV make is and tell them how they ripped you off because your going to have to pay $2000 for their TV on top of the cost of cable which comes to over $5000. Maybe some people don't have cable? I would guess those are the same people that didn't want to buy an iPhone either.

While your at it go a head and sell your house and car if its financed because your going to pay finance charges. Take a simple $100,000 home. Whats the payments on that? $625 roughly plus insurance which will make it like $800/mo. For 30 years at 6% rate you will have paid back about $288,000. WOW thats almost 3 times the cost of the home. Since your such a great American and looking out for our best interest over a silly phone. Why don't you start a petition to do away with finance charges on our house's, cars, etc. and SHUT UP ABOUT THE iPhone!

It is their/your CHOICE to buy or not to buy. But DON'T come in here and start some BS thread about how Steve Job's is screwing everyone that bought an Apple product. Which by the way does exactly what he said it would do. The product didn't fall short upon arrival. It was your preposterously high expectations that fell short. You must have seen the movie "Click" with Adam Sandler one to many times.

So please do us all a favor and go as quickly as possible to the Apple store to return you iPhone before the grace period is up. I would hate to think that you are going to be stuck with a great product that has nothing but great updates coming down the pipeline. Plus all these wonderful hacks these great people here are coming up with.

Thank you Chris for pointing out the obvious. That this whole thing is nothing new and companies have being doing this for years. It really funny because when its just another regular smart phone like say the Sidekick or Blackjack or Dash, no one even raises an eyebrow. That goes to show just how good the iPhone really is.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
BTW, I'm not voting because there is no "correct" answer. The poll should read, "Do you think cellphone manufacturers have the right to exclusive contracts with wireless providers?"

Yes or No.

You might find me voting "No", but that still doesn't change my opinion on their businesss practices. Apple is simply playing ball the way Motorola, Samsung, LG and Palm have done for years...only smarter.

-Chris
Now I regret the way I voted. I said yes, because I'm ok with Apple choosing one service provider to power up iPhone. Let's never forget that Apple is in businesss to make money, and I am totally cool with that. I'm in businesss to make money too. Making a businesss decision that leaves one in a position to make more money is what all of us in businesss do. It's my choice to have an iPhone, and part of that choice is to use ATT. (moot point for me, I was already an ATT customer). Resenting this is like resenting PGE because if I want gas/electric in my home I have to use their company because no other company offers that service to my address. I DON'T need Steve choosing my carrier for me, but I'm ok with ATT being the one company that sells the service I need for my excellent new iPhone. Things we have a "right" to are life. liberty, religious or gay/straight freedom and the persuit of happiness. Which service provider you want to power which specific phone and what cost you want to pay for it are not on that list in my opinion.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Give up Your Choice, I'll Keep Mine

Ok I don't usually post on senseless topics, but I absolutely hate it when people make things out to be so much worse than they really are. Thats exactly what this thread is.

Do you honestly expect people to believe that the iPhone costs over $2500 to own? If you do then shame on you. Thats not the cost of your iPhone, thats the cost of owning something that requires a service. Are you returning your TV because it will cost you about $3360 (avg cable bill of $140/mo) to watch your favorite TV shows for the next 2 years. While your at it call Sony or Panasonic or whoever your TV make is and tell them how they ripped you off because your going to have to pay $2000 for their TV on top of the cost of cable which comes to over $5000. Maybe some people don't have cable? I would guess those are the same people that didn't want to buy an iPhone either.

While your at it go a head and sell your house and car if its financed because your going to pay finance charges. Take a simple $100,000 home. Whats the payments on that? $625 roughly plus insurance which will make it like $800/mo. For 30 years at 6% rate you will have paid back about $288,000. WOW thats almost 3 times the cost of the home. Since your such a great American and looking out for our best interest over a silly phone. Why don't you start a petition to do away with finance charges on our house's, cars, etc. and SHUT UP ABOUT THE iPhone!

It is their/your CHOICE to buy or not to buy. But DON'T come in here and start some BS thread about how Steve Job's is screwing everyone that bought an Apple product. Which by the way does exactly what he said it would do. The product didn't fall short upon arrival. It was your preposterously high expectations that fell short. You must have seen the movie "Click" with Adam Sandler one to many times.

So please do us all a favor and go as quickly as possible to the Apple store to return you iPhone before the grace period is up. I would hate to think that you are going to be stuck with a great product that has nothing but great updates coming down the pipeline. Plus all these wonderful hacks these great people here are coming up with.

Thank you Chris for pointing out the obvious. That this whole thing is nothing new and companies have being doing this for years. It really funny because when its just another regular smart phone like say the Sidekick or Blackjack or Dash, no one even raises an eyebrow. That goes to show just how good the iPhone really is.
First of all, you need to understand as well as respect the fact that everyone's views are not yours. If you want to live in a country where the government and corporations make all the decisions for you. Why not move to China (or any other communist country)? I'm sure that they will gladly, think and make decisions for you, since you have no mind of your own.

I did not just crawl from under a rock. I know that exclusive contracts are nothing new. I only mentioned Steve Jobs and Apple because guess what? This is an iPhone forum! What I am saying is, whichever company is using these "Exclusive Contracts" it is taking consumers in the wrong direction. I will explain my point. Lets use the 1 & 2 year contracts mandatory by the cellphone companies. I recently had very bad service from Nextel. I complained about it month after month. Nextel even gave me a 20% credit (basically admitting that there was a problem) for the loss of my signal. I finally (credit or no credit) cancelled my service due to their weak signal. Also my inability to use the phone when I needed it. Long story short, even though they admited there was a problem. There is a small section on page 100 of their contract that states "we do not guarantee service". I thereforee, had to pay the early termination fee, even though the problem was caused by Nextel. How that ties into my point is this. Say at some point, At&t's service becomes subpar for some reason. You cannot just take your iPhone and move to another carrier (You have a 600.00 paperweight). Say at some point another company comes up with a much better and cheaper minute/data plan. You as a consumer cannot choose what is best for you, because the iPhone is exclusive.

When you purchased the television that you used as a point in your reply. Did the maker of the television dictate to you what cable provider to use? NO THEY DIDN'T! Guess what, in the future they will. Do you think that all makers of products that require monthly service aren't watching the cellphone industry right now. Well they are! How would you like to buy a car and the automaker dictates to you which gas station you will use to fill that car? You speak about one having the choice to buy or not buy the iPhone based on the exclusive contract. Don't you know that once corporations see that they can get away with this, there will be no choice. Every company will be doing it.

It is people like you that have been "Corporately Brainwashed" into thinking that you need the corporation. I understand that it is the corporation that needs me (us, the consumer) to continue to thrive. Be assured that if no one had bought the iPhone due to the exclusive contract. Apple would have opened the iPhone to other carriers so fast it would have made your head spin. I have no problems with Apple or any other corporation making money. I feel like this though, make the product, offer it for sale and let the consumer choose how it is used.

I am a photographer, I mostly use Nikon products. Sure Nikon has a brand of lenses (Nikkor) that are exclusive to Nikon cameras. I also have the choice of many other lenses from other manufacturers also. It is that choice that I want to retain.

By the way, before you start calling ones thread senseless, BS and telling people to shut up. Reasearch what an open forum/discussion is all about. You might not always agree with what is being said, but at least agree to disagree in a respectful, intelligent manner. Don't show your ignorance by thinking everyone should think as you do. I respect the fact that you feel you need others to think and make decisions/choices for you. Please respect my opinion, that I can think and decide for myself what is right for me...M

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
iPhonian... I agree in principal that it would nice if all phones worked with all providers. Perfect world type scenario. I take issue with stance based upon the current state of the wireless world. Again, if you choose a Blackjack, Treo 755p or Dash, then you must choose AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile for those particular phones. Most phones are exclusive.

Now, here's why the iPhone is revolutionary and perhaps you should give the folks in Cupertino your $600. You are an admitted advocate of positive change for consumers. In the past few years, manufacturers have not included WiFi in their smartphones. Palm Treo's, Motorola Q's and so on did not include WiFi. The manufacturers blame this on battery life. Truth be told, it's the wireless providers that drive the manufacturers. WiFi reduces data plans -- which reduces revenue. End result, every Treo I've owned doesn't have WiFi. Enter Apple. How come they were able to include WiFi? I guess battery issues aren't that the issue? They are one of the first manufacturers to build a smartphone with WiFi because customers want WiFi. You don't find any AT&T apps on the iPhone. No annoying splash screen ads for the wireless provider. They went to all of the providers and offered them a chance to carry the iPhone under their conditions. "They would build the iPhone the way they want to build it". (I'm paraphrasing). Given the history of these wireless providers, I'm guessing most told Apple that's not how we do businesss. That is, until they happened upon the doorstep of AT&T. I'm sure there are other revenue sharing factors that went into the decision, but I applaud them for standing up to the big bad carriers. In the end, they built a phone for consumers. For that, I'd gladly open my wallet and did for the amount of $1200 plus assorted fees and breakage of an existing Sprint contract.

When your next smartphone has WiFi, remember to send a "Thank You" card to Steve.

-Chris

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
It's like you said. If you don't like what you get or have then you can move to China, or where ever else you may want to move to because that is the choice you have. You can buy the iPhone and deal with the parameters laid out, or you can not buy the iPhone and do as you wish.

There are literally hundreds of other forums/threads out their bashing the iPhone. Why can't you go and hang with the other bashers. There I will respect the opinions of likewise bashers because thats what that forum is all about. We know there are issues with the iPhone. We know people are not happy or wish it could do more or other stuff. But we deal with it. Why do you have to come here and dirty up this great iPhone loving community. This is a place for people with problems to talk about a resolution to those problems, and to share ideas. If your going to just complain and then return your iPhone anyway then do so at your own loss and leave us out of it. If/when they start putting those stickers on the TV's like you responded about, and I don't want to buy the TV then guess what? I won't buy that TV. Just like you probably shouldn't have bought this specific phone.

There is hackers that are opening up all kinds of avenues to include unlocking for other carriers just for people like you. Instead of complaining you should be thanking those guys for helping you out. Maybe starting a collection to pay for their expenses to further their efforts for you. Do you not think Steve Jobs knew way before you thought of your point that people would want other carriers? Also he knew it was just a matter of time before our fellow hackers opened it up to other carriers. Then guess what. He sells more iPhones. Hence the genius mastermind that he is. Heck if he could he would probably fund the hackers himself. I'm not a Steve Jobs groupie, but there's no way anyone can deny the success he brings to Apple.

Well good luck with your revolution. HAHA ironic that your trying to start a revolution against a revolutionary device. Sorry, thats my closed minded "corporately brainwashed" warped sense of humor coming out. I also want to apologize that my ignorance can't see that this device is going to do more for the cell phone industry than all the other carriers combined (yes thats my opinion).

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Musical Carrier

iPhonian... I agree in principal that it would nice if all phones worked with all providers. Perfect world type scenario. I take issue with stance based upon the current state of the wireless world. Again, if you choose a Blackjack, Treo 755p or Dash, then you must choose AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile for those particular phones. Most phones are exclusive.

Now, here's why the iPhone is revolutionary and perhaps you should give the folks in Cupertino your $600. You are an admitted advocate of positive change for consumers. In the past few years, manufacturers have not included WiFi in their smartphones. Palm Treo's, Motorola Q's and so on did not include WiFi. The manufacturers blame this on battery life. Truth be told, it's the wireless providers that drive the manufacturers. WiFi reduces data plans -- which reduces revenue. End result, every Treo I've owned doesn't have WiFi. Enter Apple. How come they were able to include WiFi? I guess battery issues aren't that the issue? They are one of the first manufacturers to build a smartphone with WiFi because customers want WiFi. You don't find any AT&T apps on the iPhone. No annoying splash screen ads for the wireless provider. They went to all of the providers and offered them a chance to carry the iPhone under their conditions. "They would build the iPhone the way they want to build it". (I'm paraphrasing). Given the history of these wireless providers, I'm guessing most told Apple that's not how we do businesss. That is, until they happened upon the doorstep of AT&T. I'm sure there are other revenue sharing factors that went into the decision, but I applaud them for standing up to the big bad carriers. In the end, they built a phone for consumers. For that, I'd gladly open my wallet and did for the amount of $1200 plus assorted fees and breakage of an existing Sprint contract.

When your next smartphone has WiFi, remember to send a "Thank You" card to Steve.

-Chris
Chris,
Thanks for your intelligent and educated opinion. I think that some of you guys/ladies are missing my point though. I am NOT bashing Apple. I love Apple's products. I also believe that Apple's products are years ahead of Microsoft.

This is my problem plain and simple. I am a gadget junkie. I cannot live without the latest, greatest technology. I have had probably every PDA phone (and many other electronic devices) ever made. I am just tired of playing musical cellphone provider. Companies seem to not understand the HUGE burden to customers that exclusive contracts offer. Everytime a hot phone comes out. I have to cancel a contract (Pay early termination) move to another carrier, and start a new contract. I just wish that cellphone makers would just produce a product that works with all carriers. The cellphone makers have got us all wanting the latest technology, but look what we have to go through to get it. I was thinking about getting a contract with each cellular carrier. That way, when something hot (like the iPhone) comes out. I only have to upgrade and not cancel one carrier and start with another. It's a great idea to do that, but should I have to have 3 or 4 active accounts with different carriers, just to keep up with technology? That is my whole gripe. I'm sorry that other R (whatever) Kid poster can't understand that. I spend upwards of 4000.00 a year buying phones. I don't need the added expense of early termination fees.

If you think about it, the exclusie contract actually hurts the cellphone maker. If you have Sprint, but At&t comes out with a hot phone. You may be willing to pay the full price of the phone, but are you really going to want to pay the price of early termination also? Plus, all the switching back and forth, must be a nightmare for the cell companies. It would just be a lot easier if ALL phones worked for ALL carriers. The consumer could then have the phone they choose on the network they choose. That and only that is my whole point...M

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'll make this final point and be done with it. According to your last post, your only point is that... "It would just be a lot easier if ALL phones worked for ALL carriers. The consumer could then have the phone they choose on the network they choose. That and only that is my whole point...M" And on that single point I will agree that would be a great and welcomed change. Then I too would not have had to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. So your point is well acknowledged and agreed with.

If you would have come in here and made that point I never would have posted because there are plenty of people that feel the same. Only they are not returning their iPhones trying to make a point.

My problem with all this is that you come in here posting links to free the iPhone org's like your trying to recruit signatures because Apple is doing mutational experiments on Ape's or something. Telling people to "Stand up now and let Apple/AT&T (and more specifically Apple) know how you feel about this". Like people are going to all of a sudden start returning their iPhones because things didn't go the way a small group of people wanted. If it was a crappy product then I'm sure they would do just that. But it is not and thereforee they will not join this little "revolution" as you call it.

Even still not even that made me want to post a response. What threw me over the edge is you tried to make an extremely strong case that the phone actually costs over $2500! And you talk about me showing my ignorance. Like my earlier point; is that $100,000 house worth $288,000? Nope, or that $20,000 nice car worth over $25,000 over a 5 yr period at 7%. Again no would be the correct answer. I posted a response even though you belittle me and my "ignorance", because I am so sick of (mostly journalist) people blowing the $499 & $599 price tag to the most ridiculous extreme. Nothing meant to you personally, but its posts like this that will keep future products like the iPhone from coming out or being extremely delayed for fear someone is going to scream monopoly (something similar) or start a "revolution" on how they got "Corporately Screwed".

Side note: Is this really a big deal to someone that spends over $4000 a year on cell phones ($8000/2 years wow!). After all $4000 would be like a little over 4 years worth of an AT&T contract at $79.99. I see nothing but savings in your future. That Thank You card to Steve Jobs can't come quick enough.

Let me apologize up front because your personal finances is none of my businesss, but you put it out there. It just seems like the ones that always start this sort of thing isn't the one's that saved up for the phone for months and months. Rather the one's that can toss the money down on a whelm and never miss it.

Cellphone exclusivity is nothing new. With Apple and AT&T, it's the length of the exclusivity that raises eyebrows. As consumers, you do have a choice. You can choose to purchase an iPhone with AT&T service or choose another product. If you want a Treo 755p, then you'll have to go with Sprint. If you want a Dash, then it's nothing but T-Mobile. Feel like a Blackjack, then hope back on board with AT&T, because they are the only ones who sell it. You see where I'm going.

As far as the plan goes, it's cheaper than competing smartphones/plans. Is it more than a pedestrian cellphone -- sure is, but look at the feature set. Again, not everyone needs to check email, surf the web and converge their iPod into their phone. Ultimately, those who want those features must make a choice. Are these features worth the price of the hardware and service costs. For me, it's a definite YES. You've made your decision and voted with your wallet. I'd hesitate to say you're starting a revolution. In fact, I think it's quite the contrary. The iPhone is a revolutionary device and it will change how we perceive cellphones going forward.

In the words of this great site, "The Revolution has started...and people are talking.":cool:

Best of luck with your cellphone pursuits. If you go back to Sprint, I do highly recommend the Treo 755p. Great phone and the data package won't dent your wallet too much.

-Chris
I agree with everything you said. Everyone has a choice. That's what living in a capitalist society is all about. Consumers have the power to investigate for themselves if the iPhone is worth it or not. If you are not into iPods and the ability to check email or surf the web on your phone, then the iPhone will not be for you and your lifestyle to put simply. For me, I don't always have my computer with me, but I get hundreds of emails a day. So for me, it's nice having this capability on the road. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not. Like someone else said, businesss's are in it for the money. Apple and AT&T are for sure. AT&T approached Apple and pleaded to be exclusive for the iPhone. For those of you who want to wait for another provider, well, you will just have to wait for a few years.

Personally, I love the iPhone. No problems with it except for a small screen problem which Apple replaced my phone for same day. I also love AT&T. I have had great customer support with them. Frankly, it's been better than Sprint/Nextel. I also had better coverage in the Upper Peninsula in MI. I did not roam at all! I had full signal at my cottage in the middle of nowhere compared to 1 - 2 bars on my Treo 650 Alltel and no signal with Sprint/Nextel in the U.P. I had nightmares with Sprint! Alltel had great customer support and no complaints. I do like the fact that AT&T is GSM so I can take it around the world. Before you say T-Mobile is GSM...My friends who had it had terrible service coverage and customer support or all tell me to stay away!

My point is - everyone has a different experiences. It's great that everyone here is open about their experiences. But remember - businesss's are in the businesss of making money. They are going to do things that benefit them. But they know you have the power of choice. If you think the iPhone is not for you, then don't get it even though you may think it's cool. It's your fault if you bought it and did not consider all the options brought up here. Like someone said, cell phone providers and manufacturers always have a product which is exclusive to a specific carrier/provider. I don't hear those people complain. Sure, they may wish that said exclusive phones were offered on other providers, but how is that different from this topic here? It isn't.

I will not vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
My Last Response to This Thread

I'll make this final point and be done with it. According to your last post, your only point is that... "It would just be a lot easier if ALL phones worked for ALL carriers. The consumer could then have the phone they choose on the network they choose. That and only that is my whole point...M" And on that single point I will agree that would be a great and welcomed change. Then I too would not have had to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. So your point is well acknowledged and agreed with.

If you would have come in here and made that point I never would have posted because there are plenty of people that feel the same. Only they are not returning their iPhones trying to make a point.

My problem with all this is that you come in here posting links to free the iPhone org's like your trying to recruit signatures because Apple is doing mutational experiments on Ape's or something. Telling people to "Stand up now and let Apple/AT&T (and more specifically Apple) know how you feel about this". Like people are going to all of a sudden start returning their iPhones because things didn't go the way a small group of people wanted. If it was a crappy product then I'm sure they would do just that. But it is not and thereforee they will not join this little "revolution" as you call it.

Even still not even that made me want to post a response. What threw me over the edge is you tried to make an extremely strong case that the phone actually costs over $2500! And you talk about me showing my ignorance. Like my earlier point; is that $100,000 house worth $288,000? Nope, or that $20,000 nice car worth over $25,000 over a 5 yr period at 7%. Again no would be the correct answer. I posted a response even though you belittle me and my "ignorance", because I am so sick of (mostly journalist) people blowing the $499 & $599 price tag to the most ridiculous extreme. Nothing meant to you personally, but its posts like this that will keep future products like the iPhone from coming out or being extremely delayed for fear someone is going to scream monopoly (something similar) or start a "revolution" on how they got "Corporately Screwed".

Side note: Is this really a big deal to someone that spends over $4000 a year on cell phones ($8000/2 years wow!). After all $4000 would be like a little over 4 years worth of an AT&T contract at $79.99. I see nothing but savings in your future. That Thank You card to Steve Jobs can't come quick enough.

Let me apologize up front because your personal finances is none of my businesss, but you put it out there. It just seems like the ones that always start this sort of thing isn't the one's that saved up for the phone for months and months. Rather the one's that can toss the money down on a whelm and never miss it.
Since this is turning more into an argument, than a discussion. I am going to bow out. Before doing so, I want to leave everyone, with a few thoughts.

1). I did as the rules, of this forum asked. I first mentioned my gripe, then went into great detail, as to why I feel the way I do.

2). In this world, there will always be, two kinds of people. The weak, that say and do nothing, to bring about change. The other type of person, is strong and speaks his/her mind, about things they feel, need to be changed. The sad thing is, the strong person does all the work, to bring about the change. The weak person (who has done nothing), then benefits from the change, brought about by, the strong person who spoke up.

3). If you remember back, a couple of years ago. Apple released an iPod with a battery, that discharged very quickly. Apple, refused to admit, that there was a problem, or do anything about, the problem. Two teenage brothers decided that, Apple's response, was not good enough for them. The two brothers, produced a short video clip, in reference to the iPod's short battery life. The brothers, then circulated the video, on the internet. Their actions, (two Teenaged boys) made Apple stand up, and address the battery issue. Which by the way, benefited Everyone (even the weak people) who said nothing, but had a defective iPod.

4). Mostly everyone in this thread, that has responded, says I'm wrong. You all have gotten, so caught up in the fact that. I mentioned Apple and more specifically the iPhone. Yes, I used Apple/iPhone as an example because this is an iPhone forum. The point, you all have missed is, this is about one's freedom to choose. Yes, I made a choice, to buy the iPhone. I love the iPhone and wanted the iPhone. I just don't believe that, if I buy an Apple, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Nokia or any other phone maker's product, it should be attached to a cellular carrier. I want to be able to choose, the best plan for me. I also have no problem with At&t. I think their service (signal) and customer service is head and shoulders above Sprint/Nextel (of whom I also currently have). Like I said, it is not about a specific company, it is about a trend of taking away my freedom of choice.

5). What about people, that live in areas where there is no At&t? Should they be denied, this wonderful device (The iPhone), just because they live outside, of At&t's coverage area? What ever happened to, "ALL" technology for everyone? We as Americans, can go to remote locations, around the world, and install the internet, for developing nations. Yet people who live, outside of At&t's coverage area, in America, can't even get an iPhone.

6). R1 Kid, the true price I laid out for the iPhone, is correct. You can go on and on about the amortization of a mortgage and so on. You had a choice in choosing which lender offered you the best deal. You also had a choice to pay cash, and have no amortization schedule. The two year contract with At&t is mandatory. So the price of the contract must be added to the iPhone. You may be paying in monthly increments, to make it easier for you, but it's still 59.99 x 24=1439.76 or 79.99 x 24= 1919.76 . You only get to choose which of those figures, you can live with. I don't understand how you can't understand that. It's a no brainer, it's mandatory, dude. You can't even choose to opt out of the data plan and simply use Wi-Fi. Since you are FORCED to pay that cost, you have to look at it as the hard cost of the phone. Think of it like this, you buy the iPhone with a down payment of 499.99 0r 599.99. You then pay the remaining balance, over a 24 month period.

7). R1 Kid, you have have bashed me, throughout this whole thread, for speaking about freedom of choice. Yet you admit, that had not the iPhone been exclusive, you could have kept your current service, (T-Mobile). You further went on to describe, that freedom of choice, as "a welcomed change", had you of had, the choice. Which side of the fence, are you on? Don't you understand, that, that "welcomed change", will never come, if you sit there, and say or do NOTHING! The only way, to invoke change, is to stand up for yourself. There is an old saying, that says, "People will only do to you, what you, let them do". In this case, coporations will only do, to us (consumers), what we (consumers), let them do.

8). R1 Kid, if instead of, bashing me all day, you had taken the time, to read, the free the iPhone site. You, would have seen that, the site, is not just about Apple, or the iPhone. It is about, open technology, and the consumer's, freedom of choice. It's about, waking up tomorrow and deciding. I no longer want this service, without having to pay, a hefty early termination fee. It is getting out of hand, with the cellular companies, and the government, is currently looking into, the long contract commitments, and exclusive contracts. You spoke of people like me, hindering innovation of new products. You are, absolutely wrong. It is people like you, that stifle innovation. If a cellular carrier, has a captive customer base, due to long service contracts, and exclusive contracts. There is no need, to further innovation, to please and keep customers, because they already have you, "Locked In". If everyone could walk away today, from their current carrier, with no early termination fee. Believe me, you would see, far more innovation, than what is availible today, to keep customers. You would not get poor service (signal), and customer support, from the likes of Sprint/Nextel. You would be, treated as if, your dollars spent, were appreciated. You would see, phones capable of, doing things you never imagined. When a company/person has you captive, they can treat you however they choose.

9). In this time that we live, in America (a, hmmm democracy), where all of our rights/privileges, privacies and so forth, are slowly but surely, being taken away. Are you really prepared, to relinquish even the smallest of personal choice, (your cellular provider)?

10). To me, and this is my thinking only. It is a sad day in America, when so many Americans, jump on the band wagon of accepting, or just out right give up, their freedom of choice. I am truly sicken by all of this, while also respecting, everyone's right to disagree with me.

11). Even though I do not agree with, everyone's view here. I do appreciate the fact, that we have all voiced our opinion, openly and honestly. Thank You All...M