Do you pinch or do you tap?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which do you prefer: Pinching or Tapping

• Total voters

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
OK , color me stupid. What is pinching? and when do you use it? Only time I pinch is zooming back in after zooming out. I just tried some pinching instead of tapping and it was useless choosing anything, whatever the first pincher finger tapped got chosen.

100% tapper

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I have gotten more and more adept at tapping. At first I did a lot more pinching, but now by double-tapping multiples in some cases, I can usually get the zoom I want.

So only if I can't get what I want after a few doubles will I do a pinch.

My favorite thing about the iPhone is the browser. It is awesome. I find myself using it all the time pretty much everywhere I am.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I am surprised to hear this. Is not "pinch" the only iPhone input interaction that is based on famed multi-touch capability? :)
Yeah I am not sure why he said tapping does not work 100% of the time.

It does work when you do it. It just depends on where you do it though, as to what happens.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I pinch all the time. Hate tapping. Doesn't always zoom in to the scale I want.
I suspect a large number of users feel this way because they didn't really document very well how double tapping works.

First, to prevent selecting you need to tap quickly in the same spot. Make sure its a clear double tap.

I had a difficult time at first understanding why a double tap would sometimes zoom way in and other times it wouldn't zoom in much at all. It has to do with the column. Apple mentions this, but doesn't really play it up. But really, it's that simple. Look for a column or a field that if zoomed in will fill the width of the screen. Double tap on that field then scroll around if you need. This is very useful for zooming into the little 1 2 3 4 's at the bottom of the screen to move into another psge on the forum. Sometimes it's best not to double tap on the item you want to look at but instead a nearby smaller field or column.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I am surprised to hear this. Is not "pinch" the only iPhone input interaction that is based on famed multi-touch capability? :)
Now that I know how tapping is supposed to work I fwel that the ponchong is more of a workaround for frustrated users snd an excuse to show off the high technology behons Apple. Frankly, I find double tapping to be quite slick.

Now if u (wait that's supposed to be an 'I' nou a 'u' - iPhone didn't correct it.) figure out this aito correctibg spell chrcj thing everybody loves so much. Lol

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah I am not sure why he said tapping does not work 100% of the time.

It does work when you do it. It just depends on where you do it though, as to what happens.
Exactly. Sometimes when you tap in the browser, it does nothing. And that is why I said it does not "work" 100% of the time. And by "work", I mean zoom in as that is what the topic of the thread is.