Do you recommend mobileme?

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
I'm trying to decide whether or not to sign up for MobileMe. I'm well aware of its features, but would love know if any of you would recommend for or against it based on your own experience. Thanks!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
If you want relatively seamless sync with Macs and iPhone/iPhone touch, I'd recommend it. It does keep my two Macs and iPhone synced, and I have really gotten to love the push e-mail. It has some rough edges, but they're getting smoothed out. It's the best seamless solution out there. It also has been conceived very well. After a rough start in July, all the sync services have now worked 100% for me during the last few weeks. Check out this series for a good technical overview of the service as well...

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...eme_secrets_of_the_cloud_and_mobile_push.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...me_mac_and_pc_cloud_sync_and_mobile_push.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...pples_push_vs_exchange_blackberry_google.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/12/inside_mobileme_iphone_mail.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ge_alternative_for_contacts_and_calendar.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/15/inside_mobileme_web_3_and_web_client_server_apps.html

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I've been a .Mac/MobileMe subscriber for 5 years now, and I really liked it up until the MobileMe roll-out. I didn't lose any emails during the transition, but the web apps are not at all what was promised and I'm very disappointed with them. However, I do like the push email and the automatic syncing of my contacts and calendar between the "cloud" and my iPhone is great. I may be a little stuck since my primary email address is a .Mac one and I want to keep it, so I'll continue to renew my subscription barring anything terrible. iDisk has come in quite handy for me with work files I've needed to work on at home.

If you get it, just use it to the max - push email, contacts & calendar syncing, the iDisk space, everything - to make it worth the $99/year (though you'll get a better deal on Amazon or eBay to get it for around $69 - I never pay full retail for it anymore).

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I've also been a member for quite some time. Up until they rolled out MobileMe, I've thought it was a waste of money. The only reason I kept it was to support Apple and for the 10GB iDisk. It's gotten a lot better. I was part of the 1% that didn't have email for a week. Thankyfully, I use Gmail as my primary email. If I had it on MobileMe, I'd have left already. I really like the personal domain hosting and the slick interface. I also use it on my iPhone to separate my personal and work email/calendar/contacts.

Joe

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I would say go for it. MobileMe has been working great lately. As others have mentioned it did not start out well. Check out the link in my signature and you will see the web pages I built with MobileMe..I still use .Mac as my email address. So much more sexy than me.com. Mark

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I echo what's been said. Syncing was wildly inconsistent at the outset, but has been working beautifully for quite some time now.

My wife and I sync contacts and calendars across our two Macs and two iPhones. It works perfectly now.

And I second what was said about buying it through Amazon. No reason to pay the full freight through Apple, when you can buy a perfectly legit license via Amazon for quite a bit less.

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
I would be syncing an iPhone and a PC at home. Any experience with mobileme on a PC?

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I love Mobile Me ... I have 5 Macs in my household ... It is nice to keep them all in sync, and I love the fact when I bookmark something it shows up on my iPhone and vice versa. I do have mobileme on a Windows XP laptop that I have and it works fantastic. The only trouble I had was with the formatting of my contacts in Outlook, other than that it was flawless.

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
Were you able to resolve the problem with formatting contacts in Outlook? This would be pretty important to me.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Were you able to resolve the problem with formatting contacts in Outlook? This would be pretty important to me.
Look, sync with Outlook/Windows is not very good. It does work, but two-way syncing with Windows is troublesome. It works well with all Apple products, but I've had nothing but trouble with my Windows XP machine at work with Outlook 2007. I do one-way sync in the mornings to load up my calendar updates and it works pretty well. It's important for me to have updated calendar information at my work machine. However, I had to move everything off the Exchange server onto a .pst file (probably not an issue for you at home) in order for MobileMe to support it.

If you're doing sync with Windows XP/Outlook, I'd say just ease into it and take it easy, see if it's good enough for you, before diving in.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
If you're unsure about using with Windows, you can always do the free trial. Just make sure you back your stuff up, so that if you hit some kind of self-destruct button, you don't lose your data, and give it a whirl. At least you don't have to risk the cash up front.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I echo what's been said. Syncing was wildly inconsistent at the outset, but has been working beautifully for quite some time now.

My wife and I sync contacts and calendars across our two Macs and two iPhones. It works perfectly now.

And I second what was said about buying it through Amazon. No reason to pay the full freight through Apple, when you can buy a perfectly legit license via Amazon for quite a bit less.
Do you and your wife have 2 or one mobile me account(s)?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Do you and your wife have 2 or one mobile me account(s)?
We have one MobilMe account. I think it's actually much more complicated, and maybe even impossible to share contacts and calendars with two accounts. Plus, this works just great.

The downside of one account is that it comes with only one e-mail account, but neither of us really uses the .mac (or .me) address, so that's not an issue for us, though it might be for some.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
NO! I would not pay $100/year for an email address and some online storage that you can have for FREE somewhere else. As far of the syncing capability, yes it's nice, but come on, is it so vital for you to sync your contacts over the air. Certainly not worth $100/year...

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
NO! I would not pay $100/year for an email address and some online storage that you can have for FREE somewhere else. As far of the syncing capability, yes it's nice, but come on, is it so vital for you to sync your contacts over the air. Certainly not worth $100/year...
Haters love to suggest that there are free alternatives to everything...but most people want a turn-key solution...and although not perfect in any sense, MobileMe is more than e-mail and online storage. It may be I can get free e-mail from Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., and some provide limited push capabilities---but none also provide push contacts, calendars, and sync of bookmarks and all my two Mac's settings for $99/year. Nor do any offer 20GB of storage for that amount. Not without a huge infrastructure in place to support, such as with Exchange/BlackBerry. None offer the single-dial solution MM does.

Read this: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...pples_push_vs_exchange_blackberry_google.html

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I love Mobile Me now that it's up and running well and I have a Mac. There's some issues that I've had syncing between my Mac, Windows laptop and my iPhone. The Mac & iPhone are great...but the calendars in Outlook for my Windows Vista Ultimate machine can get a bit...hairy...let's say. I've decided to stop syncing calendars on my Windows machine and just sync contacts. No problems there whatsoever and not a big issue for me as I use my Mac and iPhone most of the time. I do have to note, however, that before I had my Mac the Windows machine and my iPhone seemed to really like Mobile Me once all the "kinks" got worked out in the first weeks of MM. I signed up on release day! So...I've been through ALL of the junk and now it's running GREAT!

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
I've been a .Mac/MobileMe subscriber for 5 years now, and I really liked it up until the MobileMe roll-out. I didn't lose any emails during the transition, but the web apps are not at all what was promised and I'm very disappointed with them. However, I do like the push email and the automatic syncing of my contacts and calendar between the "cloud" and my iPhone is great. I may be a little stuck since my primary email address is a .Mac one and I want to keep it, so I'll continue to renew my subscription barring any terrible. iDisk has come in quite handy for me with work files I've needed to work on at home.

If you get it, just use it to the max - push email, contacts & calendar syncing, the iDisk space, everything - to make it worth the $99/year (though you'll get a better deal on Amazon or eBay to get it for around $69 - I never pay full retail for it anymore).
i know the software package wont work on a winblows machine, but can i order the discounted package and just use the included subscription to register on the mobileme.com site and enjoy a year of service for only $39-69?

i was just about to pull the trigger on the mobileme site for $99 but i'm glad i found your post first before i had done that.

claygreenberg

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
excellent question! I would love to know the answer, too.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I love Mobile Me now that it's up and running well and I have a Mac. There's some issues that I've had syncing between my Mac, Windows laptop and my iPhone. The Mac & iPhone are great...but the calendars in Outlook for my Windows Vista Ultimate machine can get a bit...hairy...let's say. I've decided to stop syncing calendars on my Windows machine and just sync contacts. No problems there whatsoever and not a big issue for me as I use my Mac and iPhone most of the time. I do have to note, however, that before I had my Mac the Windows machine and my iPhone seemed to really like Mobile Me once all the "kinks" got worked out in the first weeks of MM. I signed up on release day! So...I've been through ALL of the junk and now it's running GREAT!
With all the problems people have had, it's good to hear some good news to counterbalance the bad. I too have had issues with Outlook 2007 on XP Pro, but once I moved all the contacts and calendars off Exchange and onto a .pst file, I just do a one-way sync from the cloud to Outlook at the beginning of each day, and that way I have an updated Outlook calendar for that work day. The one-way works--two way doesn't have my confidence. But like you, all Apple products sync beautifully!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i know the software package wont work on a winblows machine, but can i order the discounted package and just use the included subscription to register on the mobileme.com site and enjoy a year of service for only $39-69?

i was just about to pull the trigger on the mobileme site for $99 but i'm glad i found your post first before i had done that.
Actually, MobileMe will work with PC's as well. It's not software, per se - there's no disc in the box when you buy it, it's just the registration code. It will sync your data (on Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Contacts) from your PC to the "cloud" and you can set up the push syncing with it on your iPhone. Here's Apple's page on how it works with PC's. I think this would be your best bet - once you're set up, you can update your contacts or calendar on your iPhone, PC, or through the .Me web apps and everything will get in sync automatically. It's a great set-up I'm sure you'll enjoy! :)