Do you still use your computer to sync iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by robinhooddaffy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. robinhooddaffy

Bronze

I have been using Android for a while now. I tried an Iphone 6 Plus but it seemed that I always had to attach to my laptop. was I doing something wrong? do you still use your laptop for syncing your iphone?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Unless you're syncing via Wifi. Wifi syncing works great with a Mac, but hardly works at all on a Windows PC.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I very rarely have to sync. Pretty much just once a year when I get my new phone or when I restore. I think the main reason you are having to sync so often is because you're downloading music from websites and then wanting to get them in the stock music app. I download from iTunes on my phone and it goes right in the app. If you download from a website, you have to sync with iTunes to get them in the right location for the stock music app. If you use a third party app to download them from the website, you can play them from those apps.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I still sync my iPhone and iPad almost daily as I make changes on either device or the PC to contacts or notes. I know I can do this in iCloud and have tried it once but didn't like the way it works compared to what I was used to. I'm sure that at some point I will have to make the transition to cloud based data storage but for now I'll stick with what is familiar.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Whaaaa? I've been syncing contacts over the cloud through iCloud since 2009 (it used to be called MobileMe back then). It works great. I love using it to syncing notes, contacts and bookmarks, etc. over the air. So much easier than syncing with iTunes. You don't have to do anything as it's all done instantly without any action on your part. Have you considered giving it another try?

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I know, I should have made the transition months ago and did try iCloud again about a month ago but just did not like having to learn new processes for doing what I was already able to do so easily. Excuses all, I know but that's all I have. I'm sure that I'll need to make the change sometime in the future and will be kicking and screaming all the way but for now I'll happily stay in my own personal Stone Age. Don't ever stop chiding me however or I'll stay here forever. Thanks

7. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Only when I have to restore. Once a year or so.

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I still use my Mac to sync music occasionally. Since my entire iTunes library will no longer fit on my 64GB device, I sometimes have to remove some music/media to add new music/media. I'll be upgrading to a 128GB 6s so that won't be as much of an issue.

Even though I sync contacts, calendars, notes and backup a few other apps via iCloud, I like to do a full backup to my Mac every few days or so. With the price of iCloud storage going down, I'm thinking of upgrading from the free 5GB so I can backup more stuff that way, but I will still maintain a regular local backup.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have the same plan you do. I still have the free 5 GB, but will be upgrading that to 50 GB for 99 cents per month when that pricing plan becomes available next week. I'm already pushing the 5 GB mark and it's going to be too difficult to stay under it with bigger pictures and videos on the 6s.

10. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Do people really use all the stuff they stick on ICloud DropBox and other far off servers?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. It's easily accessible and it's a great way to access your media and information from all of your devices. When you update contacts, bookmarks and notes they immediately sync and update on each device without any action on your part. Why wouldn't you use it?

12. radtechy01

radtechy01 Member
    Bronze

Is there a 3rd party app that will play music stored in iCloud then I can move down to the 64 gig. I have the 200 iCloud plan

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iCloud is the only one that will play cloud music through the stock music app. DropBox or other cloud services will play them through their own apps.

14. ofy54

ofy54 New Member

I use Airblue Sharing tweak to send the music (or other documents) to my iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I use my computer to put my ringtones and music on, and to back up / restore occasionally (partly because it's faster, partly because iCloud backup is not a complete backup). I use iCloud and Exchange contacts/calendars (home & work).

I tried iTunes wifi sync, but it kept breaking, like, making full backups of my phone (80+ gigs) every time, and it'd kill all other wifi traffic on the network until it finished. I must have a curse or something.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

WiFi syncing works great on Macs. For some reason, iTunes just doesn't work as well or as fast on PCs, even if the hardware is good.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, this was with iTunes on my iMac. iTunes has never worked very well for me, PC or Mac.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure. I've never had problems with it on a Mac.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Works great on my Mac as well. The Mac version of iTunes is so much better than the Windows version.

20. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

I do use it myself now, but I was hesitant. I still feel that once my private information is out there, it is out there for anyone to find and access. Nothing is hack proof. The idea that my private notes, contacts and photos could potentially be viewed by some miscreant really bothers me. And it's not like I have anything to hide, I would simply feel violated to know that someone has been looking at my stuff. Not to mention any safety concerns that my arise out of a possible sick-o hacking into family photos and contact information.
    I only synced to my laptop for the longest time, but the magic of technology sucked me in.
    One day SkyNet will doom us all.