Do you think it will get fixed?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by MDiPhone, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MDiPhone

MDiPhone New Member

Well I am new to this forum and just wanted to say it seems to be really helpful.

My specific question is regarding the color I should get for my iPhone 5. I have always had the black models but I have started to consider buying the white with this one because of the scratching issue. I like to not have cases on my iPhones because I like the feel of them more that way and they look really sharp. I am worried that if I get the iPhone 5 it will get really beat up in the back with the reported issues of scratching and denting when I use it and put my keys in my pocket and what not.

Do you guys think if I wait a month or so they will fix the scratching issue they way they fixed the reception issues on the iPhone 4, or do you think that it will just be a continuous issue because of the new backs?

Thanks

2. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

It'll be longer then a months before the issue is resolved. I'm sure Apple is looking into the issue because they are a company of perfection. They won't let customers down.

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

What phone have you used in the past that you could put your keys in the same pocket and not had any issue? :D

I would say its OK to purchase a black/slate i5 now.
    If Apple finds that there are units out there with substandard cosmetic issues, I am confident they will replace them....

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I doubt it's going to get "fixed"...

If it's that much of a concern you better go with the white phone of be prepared to use a case.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am not concerned at all.
    For everyone complaining there is a YouTube video out there showing of the durability

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

7. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah but there's a difference between putting your phone in your pocket with keys and being nervous about setting it down on a table without a case! ;-)

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I personally think the flaking or scratching concern is a non issue. Bottom line is: be careful with your expensive items. I can respect your wanting a naked phone, but understand their are consequences if you put your phone in the same pocket with your keys. It's gonna scratch, no matter what phone it is.

I've had iPhones for 5 years. I've always been careful with my phones, but accidents happen. I've had a few dents, scratches, and my wife even broke her screen. You know who I blame: me. The new iPhone 5 uses a softer material that scratches a bit easier, so as a consumer: adjust accordingly. I've had a case on my 5 since Friday. No scratches, no flaking.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I can't stand all the "gates" and this is the stupidest, most contrived one yet.

News flash: keys scratch cell phones. End of story.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

snowtrooper1966 flashback
    I can not even remember what phone it was 3G I believe
    I had it 1 maybe 2 days
    Yep Keys and phone in same purse !
    OMG and not much later I dropped the replacement !

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

First, I agree. Except on the 4 & 4S. They were pretty tough. Second, most of the "scratches" on the aluminum will rub right out. I have done both. Either get a nice case or, like my 3GS, just figure the wear gives it personality!

12. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Why didn't he scratch the sides too? Why just the back? He might as well have gone all out and done the sides too.

13. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Considering this video appears to be shot at an Apple store, I don't he wanted to press his luck. Actually, I'm surprised an Apple store employee didn't notice this and kick him out...

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

He probably is one of those employees, shot video after hours....

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll copy and paste this from a post I made on another forum on Saturday (I'm using an ifrogz case with no screen protector):

"So far I've hiked in two national parks, slipped on gravel and fell on the pocket holding my iPhone 5,
    and used it pretty much most of the day yesterday and today. No scuffs."

It's a phone, not a newborn baby. Go outside and have fun.

16. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Go to Amazon and look for iPhone 5 bumper from photive. Nice and inexpensive. $10. Then get a screen protector for the front and back and your done with no worries.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I got two iPhone 5 bumpers from Monoprice for less than $5.00 each. They look pretty good.

G1U0Y.jpg

CIp8O.jpg

zLImW.jpg

18. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I usually sport a bumper with front and back clear protectors. I do like to go naked occasionally to show of the natural beauty of the phone. :)

19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I really think waht Schiller said there is just common sense. We all want a "wow" looking "cool" looking device. Apple delivers but it goes without saying that care has to be taken otherwsie it's going to show wear.

Would Apple Fan be happier if they just made it out of cheap plastic and called it a day? I doubt that seriously.

Not sure there is anything to "fix".