Do you think it's possible they could fix the battery issues with another software update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Dec 9, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I am strongly considering switching to a 4 if my battery isn't fixed by the next update. I honestly don't use Siri or my camera enough to justify the pathetic battery life. When are they supposed to release it? How much could it actually help?

2. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I am doubting that it is a software issue.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Ya me too. Then what could it be? The battery is supposed to be better than the 4

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Absolutely. I think it's firmware-related and an update can/will fix it. 5.0.1 fixed mine. I know some others are still experiencing problems, but they will likely be fixed with the next update. If this is not the case and it is found that it is hardware-related, Apple will replace the phone free of charge. Hopefully, the next update won't be too much longer.

Can you post details about your usage and battery stats?

5. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I'm on a 4 and my battery life has been horrible since the iOS5. I have to bring a charger with me every where I go just in case. I charge it at least twice a day and I'm teaching. How much do I really use my phone?

Yesterday, just from using the timer my battery dropped 10% in 45 minutes. I have never had that kind of usage problems on any of my iPhones. So, given that I'm on a 4 and am experiencing problems I never experienced before, it has to be a firmware-related issue.

6. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I haven't been keeping numbers but I am at about 10% an hour w minimal usage

7. Heacon

Heacon Member
    Bronze

I have put my iPhone in airplane mode in thailand, as I don't got service here. I lost like 20% every 5 hours, it kept searching for service... So yeah it loses like 1% every 3 hours i airplane mode:) just take it off when on wifi

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

8. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

How can they fix it w a software update exactly?

9. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

The only way a software patch can fix the issue is if there is something with the software that is running too much/constantly that is sucking the juice. Like there is a background app running that doesn't need to run and it's eating battery, or something to that effect.

The only other way software updates could solve the issue is throttling down the performance of the phone because of a processor sucking up the juice.

I am in no way saying that either of these examples are what is wrong with the iPhone's battery life, they ate just examples.

10. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

So in short u think it is probably a hardware issue

11. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

If battery life got worse going from iOS5 to iOS5, then it can definitely be fixed with another software update. If software broke it, software can fix it.

12. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Wow, battery life's getting worse:
    4S, 32 Gb, iOS 5.0.1. Blue tooth off. Do have GPS enabled but no apps running which are using it. (all pointers are gray, not blue, under location services). On 3-bar wifi. (only 2 bars on my 3G as live in boonies, but that didn't eat my 4's battery like this).

Just email, safari this morning; started 8am at 100%; now it's 65% and I'll be bottom feeding at 2-10% by 11 pm. Any tips about where to poke/experiment?

I'm a good boy Apple consumer (bought 5 iPhones, an iPad, and 2 iPods in my time and maintain two old style unlimited AT&T data plans (grandfathered). Some of you guys are dedicated Apple bosses, I guess. Could you wiggle Apple into putting some widgets on the home screen tool bar so we could 1-2 tap quick access network/GPS/cell features, avoiding 'Settings Diving'? Puhleez, powerful persons!

Thanks for advice!

13. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

There's a discussion about home screen shortcuts around here somewhere. It gives you widget-like icons for one touch access to settings like GSP, bluetooth, WiFi, etc.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

#14 RoofMonkey, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  15. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Anyone else lost hope in the battery actually being a software related issue?

16. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

#16 Jmbaker429, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  17. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

You talking to me?