Do you think Siri will become self aware?

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
The whole Siri thing kind of creeps me out a little deep on the inside. I think because it actually has a personality and can learn from its users, even when I first saw it in action I was still a little disturbed lol but that's just me. I would never use the functionality I anticipate, but I'm worried how it will advance in future editions of the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
"It's?"

My Siri would not like that.

Michael
Oops! The iPhone doesn't look at context; it automatically puts the apostrophe in regardless if it's needed or not. I forgot to fix it that time. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish Siri worked for initiating local tasks such as playing songs/playlists and creating notes/reminders when we don't have a data connection. I tried to play a playlist in my car today while I was in a remote area and it said I needed an internet connection to do that. Voice controls on the 3GS and iPhone 4 allowed us to control the iPod when we didn't have a data connection so I don't see why we can't at have limited capabilities like that on the iPhone 4S as well.

I'm going to request this feature right now.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Reactions: Hillbilly

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I wish Siri worked for initiating local tasks such as playing songs/playlists and creating notes/reminders when we don't have a data connection. I tried to play a playlist in my car today while I was in a remote area and it said I needed an internet connection to do that. Voice controls on the 3GS and iPhone 4 allowed us to control the iPod when we didn't have a data connection so I don't see why we can't at have limited capabilities like that on the iPhone 4S as well.

I'm going to request this feature right now.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
I'm guessing the AI is a bit too complicated to do locally on the phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm guessing the AI is a bit too complicated to do locally on the phone.
This feature worked fine on the 3GS and 4 without a data connection.

We gain many new features with each new phone, but we also lose a couple. On the iPhone 4, we lost double-tap for favorites and on the 4S, we lost voice activated iPod controls when in a no service area.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
While you are no doubt correct there still needs to be access without a net connection... Having Siri shut down totally is unacceptable IMHO.

Michael
you took the words right out of my fingers. I agree.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I asked someone the same question earlier this week and they said you can turn voice command on if you turn Siri off. I guess it's not true than.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I asked someone the same question earlier this week and they said you can turn on voice command on if you turn Siri off. I guess it's not true than.
Hmm. I didn't think about disabling Siri. I was driving so I wouldn't have done it anyway, but now that you mention it, I'm sure that would have worked.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Hmm. I didn't think about disabling Siri. I was driving so I wouldn't have done it anyway, but now that you mention it, I'm sure that would have worked.
I never checked on my girlfriend's phone so I don't know.

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
If you disable Siri, the phone defaults to normal voice control, the same vc that has been in our iPhones for years.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
If you disable Siri, the phone defaults to normal voice control, the same vc that has been in our iPhones for years.
ok thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Even thou it's useless to me since it never recognizes anything I say.

Reactions: imutter

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish Siri would automatically deactivate itself and default to Voice Control when the data connection is dropped. Now that would be AI-like and it would solve the problem with no iPod controls in remote areas. Or at least let us use a voice command to deactivate Siri and fall back to Voice Control.

Reactions: Bennyboy

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, but that's not a hands-free option while driving. You have to go into settings to do it after you lose your signal.