Do you think Steve Jobs lived up to it?

Aug 28, 2007
"Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. It's very fortunate if you can work on just one of these in your career. Apple's been very fortunate in that it's introduced a few of these."
- Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone.

what do you think of this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think he's right on the money.

Am I missing something?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Go, Steve, go!

What do you think? iMac, iPod, iPhone, iEverything....

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
simply put, i never belonged to a forum dedicated to Samsung TVs, Black & Decker drills or any other device or appliance. i think that says something.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hah that's a great way to put it, coasts.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
But, there have been forums established for PDAs (aximsite, Dave's iPaq), Pocket PCs (brighthand, PDA Phone Home) and now the iPhone. Nothing unique there. Steve capitalized on the weaknesses and failures of other devices, and built a winning combination of technology and software. Now, the rest are playing catchup to Apple.

Revolutionary: no. Evolutionary, hell yes.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Eragon, what I was trying to say was that no other device has moved me to the point of joining an online discussion about it. i've had both a Treo and a Blackberry before so it's not that i'm so new to electronica. the iPhone is revolutionary not for being a "smartphone" but for capturing an audience that wasn't short on choice. look at Starbucks. they found a way to dominate the breakfast/coffee market by selling the same products that their competitors were offering, and at a considerably higher cost. what did they bring to the table? a better atmosphere, an image, a brand that the public wants to associate with...apple is no different.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is by far the best ipod out there... there are still things that need to be done to to phone part of it... and the one and only "copy/paste" feature that is not there...
the iPhone did change the way we all activated the phone, iTunes and the way we buy music.. i use the iTunes store all the time, and soon the way that we buy games...

this phone has changed the way we do things..

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
You can always gage the impact of a device by how many copycats are out there. This year there are phones being release by almost every major providor including AT&T to compete with iPhone head on. So based on the industry's reponse, Apple hit a homerun.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
You can always gage the impact of a device by how many copycats are out there. This year there are phones being release by almost every major providor including AT&T to compete with iPhone head on. So based on the industry's reponse, Apple hit a homerun.
Like buzzards eyeing carrion. Competitors sense a market share vulnerability being filled by Apple. Copy cats are hoping that potential dissatisfaction with technology (3G vs. EDGE), lack of GPS, and other features are enough to sway customers. This is a good position for Apple to be in. See what the competition is struggling to develop, and roll out an iPhone update to maintain that lead.

xrayeyes1502

Bronze
Apr 10, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I think he's right on the money.

Am I missing something?
He is right on the money. The iPhone is revolutionary. But, they dropped the ball when it comes to SMS. The fact that one can't send a picture text with an iPhone is ridiculous. With the SDK and 2.0 update coming soon, lets hope this will not be an issue any more.