Do you think that Apple will allow us to upgrade our iPhones?

Will Apple allow us to upgrade to the 3G iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%

• Total voters

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Do you think that when Apple releases the 3G iPhone or whatever it may be, they will allow us to upgrade our phones while under contract? I know some phone providers allow people to do this; however, you have to pay full price. I really think that Apple will allow this since so many people already own the iPhone, and I don't think that they want to risk harming their consumer base.

So what do you guys think?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Its not possible to upgrade our phones to 3g unfortunalty.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
sorry. I missunderstood. We can only hope upgrade will be available on the same contract. I have a feeling the market will be flooded with used iPhone when the new one comes out.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I agree with the others that we should be able to upgrade to the 3G without having to reset the 2 year contract. The iPhone is not subsidized by AT&T. That is usually the excuse used to force a new 2yr contract.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I agree with the others that we should be able to upgrade to the 3G without having to reset the 2 year contract. The iPhone is not subsidized by AT&T. That is usually the excuse used to force a new 2yr contract.
Yep. Beat me to it.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I don't think he means physically updgrade the phone, but more like trade up to the 3G model without having to take on a brand new two year contract.

I do think that will be allowed ...
Yeah, that's what I meant. I just pray that they allow us to.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
all you will need to do is pop your current sim card in the new phone and that phone will be operable

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Knowing the way Apple works, I'm willing to bet they'll allow you to buy a new 3G iPhone with the condition you sign another 2 year contract.

That ensures that both AT&T and Apple make as much money off of you they possibly can.

cplape

Bronze
Jan 9, 2008
Kennebunk, Maine
www.chiplape.net
Knowing the way Apple works, I'm willing to bet they'll allow you to buy a new 3G iPhone with the condition you sign another 2 year contract.

That ensures that both AT&T and Apple make as much money off of you they possibly can.

Lets be honest.... the iPhone is a great product... the first buyers paid $200.00 more for the phone 2 months later and when the price dropped they got a 100.00 gift card to buy more Apple stuff !:)

when has AT&T or Apple ever done anything that was not about making more $$$. of course they will let us buy the new phone and have us pay full price f and AT&T will be happy to help us do a new two year contract but only after you have fufilled the current contract or 3/4s of it. AT&T dose not even know how to spell Customer Service and Apple is about the same but just polite about it LOL.:laugh2:

H

Hayesimus

yeah rest assured AT&T will renew your 2 year contract. Starting from the moment you buy the 3G model. This is however not a terrible thing. After all they are letting you upgrade period. That is what the subsidized price also affects. Normally they require you to wait at least 20 months before you are elligible for an upgrade. But since the iPhone is full price, they let you upgrade to it no matter your elligibility status. I had upgraded like 3 months before i got the iPhone so i wasn't supposed to be able to upgrade again for a while, but like i said, the iPhone is special. lol

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I misread the intent of the poll when I answered. I took the poll to mean will Apple do trade-ins to upgrade our existing phones to the 3G version at a reduced cost or something. Either way I still say no. ATT will want the contracts as if Apple releases the 3G in 3-6 months it will be in new contract turf for sure.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
When Apple released the 16 Gb device, AT&T did not require a new contract. I am assuming that the reasons included (1) device is not subsidized; (2) no new change in services requiring a plan change.

The 3G iPhone will require the 3G data plan which currently costs $15 more per month than the iPhone data plan. I wouldn't be surprised if going from 2.5G to 3G requires a new plan. But, is that sufficient for requiring a new two-year contract?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure the iPhone won't come with a discount for upgrading (just as they don't now). The new phones will also include the 2-year contract requirement.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
yeah rest assured AT&T will renew your 2 year contract. Starting from the moment you buy the 3G model. This is however not a terrible thing. After all they are letting you upgrade period. That is what the subsidized price also affects. Normally they require you to wait at least 20 months before you are elligible for an upgrade. But since the iPhone is full price, they let you upgrade to it no matter your elligibility status. I had upgraded like 3 months before i got the iPhone so i wasn't supposed to be able to upgrade again for a while, but like i said, the iPhone is special. lol
Hayes, to clear something up. You are allowed to change your phone WHENEVER YOU WANT. It comes down to how much you want to pay for it, and who you want to buy it from. A buddy of mine (on Cingular/ATT) changed his phone 9 times in 7 months. He bought his phones from eBay. If you go to ATT to get a subsidized phone, then yes, you are required to sign up for 2 more years. If I gave you my iPhone (or whatever) why wouldn't I be allowed to change/"upgrade" my phone?

H

Hayesimus

upgrade without additional charges. if you upgrade to anything on AT&T before its time they charge you an upgrade fee or something. Plus if you buy the phone from them then they make you pay full price. that's what i was talking about. Actually thats what I already said. SHEESH! lol

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
upgrade without additional charges. if you upgrade to anything on AT&T before its time they charge you an upgrade fee or something. Plus if you buy the phone from them then they make you pay full price. that's what i was talking about. Actually thats what I already said. SHEESH! lol
Maybe we're talking two different situations here. I'm saying that you can buy a phone (used) from someone/somewhere other than ATT and put your sim in, and you're good to go - no fee.

I agree that if you go through ATT to "upgrade" your phone, you'll have to re-up for 2 years, or buy the phone at full price.

Also - I just bought my wife an iPhone this past Friday, and we didn't have to re-up for 2 years - b/c it was subsidized....

So are we/were we talking about the same scenario?

H

Hayesimus

two sides of the same quarter i'd say.