Do you use Bluetooth with your iPhone?

Do you use a Bluetooth device with your iPhone?

• Total voters

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just got the BlueAnt Supertooth 3 for my car and was wondering how many of you are using bluetooth with your iPhones. All types of bluetooth devices are included in this poll.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yep. Got a hands-free head unit in my car. It's awesome.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Absolutely. I have a built-in Bluetooth kit in my car. I have a Jawbone headset but I find that I rarely use it since I don't need it in my car. I have been thinking about getting a set of stereo headphones to make working out while listening to music a little less dangerous (I've yanked iPods off the treadmill by accidentally snagging the headphone cord :eek:).

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I only use it with the bluetooth that came built in my car. I'm looking for bluetooth headphones with a mic any suggestions?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do you guys leave bluetooth turned on 24/7 or only when you need it? I wish there was a toggle to turn off discovery (of unpaired devices) on the iPhone.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Do you guys leave bluetooth turned on 24/7 or only when you need it? I wish there was a toggle to turn off discovery (of unpaired devices) on the iPhone.
I leave it on 24/7. I used to try to turn it on and off when getting in and out of my car, but that was just too much of a hassle. I'll turn it off when I'm on vacation or know I won't be driving my car for several days or something.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, thanks. I'll probably do the same then.
Is the bluetooth car kit you use always on as well or just when the car is on?
I was worried about security more than battery life, but I guess iPhones are pretty secure.

Why do they always have to be searching for new devices though? It seems like they should be able to pair with one device and then give you the option to stop discovery of new devices until you want enable that option.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Ok, thanks. I'll probably do the same then.
Is the bluetooth car kit you use always on as well or just when the car is on?
I was worried about security more than battery life, but I guess iPhones are pretty secure.

Why do they always have to be searching for new devices though? It seems like they should be able to pair with one device and then give you the option to stop discovery of new devices until you want enable that option.
The car kit is always on when the car is on. Since it requires a passcode to pair with it, I'm not too worried about security.

I don't think the iPhone's Bluetooth is always in discoverable mode – I think it leaves this mode (and still stays on) a few minutes after you leave the Bluetooth settings menu. Bluetooth has been enabled on my 3GS for a little while today but my computer can't find it unless I go into the Bluetooth settings menu and see that "Now Discoverable" message.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The problem is that some bluetooth devices use default passcodes that cannot be changed.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
The problem is that some bluetooth devices use default passcodes that cannot be changed.
True, but my car kit has a designated code and the iPhone is not like that. Besides, even if someone could connect to your headset while it's connected to your iPhone, they couldn't get any data from it since the headset lacks the Bluetooth profiles to send data to another device, it can only pull. They'd need to pull data from your iPhone directly, and you'd need to enter a passcode for that to happen, and it's unlikely you'll accept a pairing request that you haven't initiated yourself.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right, I wouldn't accept it.

I'm just concerned about what JoeT said in my other thread , and how they can possibly activate the iPhone mic and listen in when your not on the phone. Is that possible without a pairing request or at least seeing or hearing something on either the iPhone or the bluetooth speaker phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I just ordered the Motorola S9-HD Stereo bluetooth headset from Amazon, Should get it next week, I'll follow up with my thoughts about it.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Right, I wouldn't accept it.

I'm just concerned about what JoeT said in my other thread, and how they can possibly activate the iPhone mic and listen in when your not on the phone. Is that possible without a pairing request or at least seeing or hearing something on either the iPhone or the bluetooth speaker phone?
I wouldn't think this is possible on the iPhone. While someone could spoof your headset and possibly connect to your iPhone, audio is only routed to Bluetooth when you're on a call or listening to music through a Bluetooth accessory. Other than this, the iPhone's microphone isn't active, to my knowledge, so someone couldn't just listen in to you randomly when you're not on a call or listening to music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Harper

Bronze
Aug 12, 2008
Springfield, IL
I don't use bluetooth and I don't plan on to at anytime. Earbuds work perfectly fine myself if I need to go hands free. I listen to a lot of music, so having another accessory on hand just doesn't seem practical to me. I am a minimalist at heart, so the less the better.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't use bluetooth and I don't plan on to at anytime. Earbuds work perfectly fine myself if I need to go hands free. I listen to a lot of music, so having another accessory on hand just doesn't seem practical to me. I am a minimalist at heart, so the less the better.
me too. that's why it's nice having it all built into your car.

Tim Harper

Bronze
Aug 12, 2008
Springfield, IL
me too. that's why it's nice having it all built into your car.
My 96 Monte Carlo is technologically disabled when it comes to that. If I could afford a new car, then I might make the upgrade. Sadly I can't even afford a used car at this moment. Job market is horrible where I am at, I am contemplating moving back to Chicago again.

Grrrrrrr!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does that have a mic and a speaker phone on the deck or does it route the call through the car speakers?

Does it have a changeable pairing code?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Does that have a mic and a speaker phone on the deck or does it route the call through the car speakers?

Does it have a changeable pairing code?
The mic is routed to wherever you want it. I also has a USB plug that you can do the same thing with. Calls go through the speakers. And it does have a changeable pairing code.