Do your contacts not save to the SIM?

coolguy8621

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
Every other phone Ive had Ive had my number saved on the SIM card so I could get another phone and still have my number saved by switching them out. I need to do the restore to get the upgraded firmware but don't want to enter everything in again...do the contacts save to the SIM?

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
You can have iTunes back everything up, from contacts to text msgs and more, everything that is on your iPhone, also your settings. It automaticly does it when you sync, unless you turned it off.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
You can have iTunes back everything up, from contacts to text msgs and more, everything that is on your iPhone, also your settings. It automaticly does it when you sync, unless you turned it off.
yeah hes right just plug your iPhone in and hit sync and itll back everything up your contacts, all your recent text messages, calls, eveyrthing. then restore and itll ask you to restore from backup and click yes and then itll work and everything will be back to normal.

rmfnla

Bronze
The contacts do no save to the SIM, they save to the phone, unfortunately.
I don't think this is so unfortunate.

SIMs don't have much capacity; doing a periodic back-up makes much more sense.

What I think is unfortunate is neither iPhone has user-accessible memory. Think how cool it would be if you could pop in a micro SD card instead of being limited to 8 gig (or paying an additional $100 and being limited to 16 gig).

streborhcaz

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
Kinda sucks being in my current situation. I sold my V1 iPhone on ebay and was hoping to get the 3G by the time I had to ship the phone out. Of course no stores have the iPhone 3G so I am using a crappy old Nokia for the time. When I put my SIM card into the Nokia of no contacts are there. So for now I am using a crappy phone with no contacts. Hopefully my direct fullfillment order is fullfilled sometime soon...:oops:.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Is there anyway on the new 3G to save it on the sim?

My sim has 500 spots free, so capacity isn't a problem yet.

Let me know.

Thanks

My provider offers a sim contact back up but the 3g saves to the phone not sim, so its rather pointless

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Is there anyway on the new 3G to save it on the sim?

My sim has 500 spots free, so capacity isn't a problem yet.

Let me know.

Thanks

My provider offers a sim contact back up but the 3g saves to the phone not sim, so its rather pointless
Nope... doesn't matter if it's v1 or 3G nor how many spots you have free on your sim.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
ok, cheers

How do i sync my contacts to a PC?
I want to have them saved on my pc, just incase the iPhone crashes, i don't want to ask everyone for their numbers etc again.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Ok, when i sync.
(i use outlook express, not the other outlook), but i will make an outlook account or whatever, but if that address book is blank, will it clear my iPhone one or sync and send whats on the iPhone to the outlook?

Also, i read somewhere you can use the "address book" on PC.
Same question above goes for this.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
For contacts you can sync with Outlook, Google, Yahoo, or Windows Address Books. When I tried to sync with Outlook I ended up with duplicate contacts for some reason; I think I missed something in the configuration set up. It should not clear your iPhone unless you scroll down in the INFO tab to ADVANCED and tell it to Replace information on iPhone next sync.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008

Ok, which is the best one that will preserve them most accurately.
I read somewhere(again) that some services don't have 2 mobile numbers or home number sections etc.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Unfortunately none of them are perfect. I use Google as I feel they are inline with what Apple is doing and are making things iPhone friendly. In Google contacts you can create an iPhone Contacts group and use that group exclusively for your phone. That way you won't have numerous contacts on your phone that are random email addresses that you will never contact via your phone for any reason. You can also have multiple phone numbers and addresses for each contact as well as businesss info such as company and title, etc.

Hope this helps and You're Welcome mate!

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Ok, thanks for that.

By google, you mean Gmail? Or a paid google service?