Dock App

What's your opinion of the Dock App?

• Total voters
H

Hayesimus

This is also known by some as the sunburst app. Where you run your thumb up from the bottom right corner and a row of all your icons will pop up and you can scroll to the one you like. I really liked where this app ended up. but i don't keep it on my phone. I download it occasionally to take screenshots which is another of its talents. But i use summerboard and that suffices.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
This is also known by some as the sunburst app. Where you run your thumb up from the bottom right corner and a row of all your icons will pop up and you can scroll to the one you like. I really liked where this app ended up. but i don't keep it on my phone. I download it occasionally to take screenshots which is another of its talents. But i use summerboard and that suffices.
I love the Dock. I usually hide all my icons and use dock to access them.

H

Hayesimus

haha. great name and pic. well i like seeing my icons. cause i designed a lot of them myself.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
haha. great name and pic. well i like seeing my icons. cause i designed a lot of them myself.
Thanks Hayes...
Im very interested in designing my own theme but I don't even know where to get started. Hayes, do you know of a thread or how to guide, or anything that can get me started?
Anyway, I like to hide my icons for the same reason you like to show yours, because I designed my wallpaper. Check out Merlin below, I wanted it to look like the building was lighting him up!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
i had it and hated it....it got in the way sometimes and the only thing i really like about it is the screenshot other than that im good with Launcher... i wish some one would develope a stand alone screen shot app tho!
The problem with a stand alone screen shot app is that you would be limited to screen shots of the Springboard...you would have no way of accessing the app unless you were on the Springboard. With the dock, you can take a screen shot from anywhere.

Im sure someone can figure a way around that though.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The problem with a stand alone screen shot app is that you would be limited to screen shots of the Springboard...you would have no way of accessing the app unless you were on the Springboard. With the dock, you can take a screen shot from anywhere.

Im sure someone can figure a way around that though.
Yep, the usual technique is to delay the capture to give you time to get to the correct screen. Run the capture utility, bring up the app/screen you want a picture of, and wait for the snap.

You could probably do that now with a bash script, and say, snap2album.

--
Mike

at first i didn't like it, because i had a hard time bringing it up. also, back then, i was using summerboard to scroll down to my apps, which was fine. but since then, 1) i decided i really wanted to have only a row of apps and a doc, and 2) practice made triggering the sunburst a lot easier. so now i kind of love it. however, if there were some way to only have a row of apps and use summerboard instead, i would probably do that.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Yep, the usual technique is to delay the capture to give you time to get to the correct screen. Run the capture utility, bring up the app/screen you want a picture of, and wait for the snap.

--
Mike
yeah i had a nextel/motorola i930 and there was and app like that...i don't know why it wouldn't be able to happen similar with the iPhone...

p.s. Tinman you know a lot about this stuff....why arent you coding? just a question...you seem to know just about everything..HOOK IT UP!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007

--
Mike
That is exactly what I was thinking! Tinman, how hard would it be to write this bash script? I normally SSH into my phone to take a screenshot. (I have no use for Dock, so it would be a waste of battery and space just for the screenshot app). So it would be GREAT to be able to take a screenshot when I'm not at home.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yeah i had a nextel/motorola i930 and there was and app like that...i don't know why it wouldn't be able to happen similar with the iPhone...

p.s. Tinman you know a lot about this stuff....why arent you coding? just a question...you seem to know just about everything..HOOK IT UP!
I am afraid if I go down that rabbit hold, I may never get out. ;)

Seriously though, as I am an application/database developer I am considering it.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
That is exactly what I was thinking! Tinman, how hard would it be to write this bash script? I normally SSH into my phone to take a screenshot. (I have no use for Dock, so it would be a waste of battery and space just for the screenshot app). So it would be GREAT to be able to take a screenshot when I'm not at home.
Very simple to make this actually.

If Tinman doesn't make one, I will.

--

Also, I'm one of the people that voted that I hate Dock, because I do.

It's a great utility, I just think it could use a lot more polishing. I've run into miscelaneous problems that uninstallling Dock has somehow managed to fix in each case, so I don't keep it installed anymore for those times I might want to take a screenshot.

Furthermore it makes doing certain things more difficult with that starburst getting in the way when theres a button near it that you need to hit. I had about 15 snapshots of the programs I was using at the time while trying to hit a button near the starburst. Each time it brought up the menu and my finger somehow managed to slide onto the screenshot button. Other times it launches apps at the most inconvenient of times.

Oh yeah, I don't use an acrylic case either, so I don't hate Dock for hating my case, I just hate it in general.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

--

It's a great utility, I just think it could use a lot more polishing. I've run into miscelaneous problems that uninstallling Dock has somehow managed to fix in each case, so I don't keep it installed anymore for those times I might want to take a screenshot.

Furthermore it makes doing certain things more difficult with that starburst getting in the way when theres a button near it that you need to hit. I had about 15 snapshots of the programs I was using at the time while trying to hit a button near the starburst. Each time it brought up the menu and my finger somehow managed to slide onto the screenshot button. Other times it launches apps at the most inconvenient of times.

Oh yeah, I don't use an acrylic case either, so I don't hate Dock for hating my case, I just hate it in general.
I keep it installed, but to be frank I haven't used it in over a month. I only keep it in case I want to take a screen-shot on the road, and can't use SSH.

I do an Unload -w in UIctl when not using it. That solves the incompatibility issues (e.g., when it is loaded it screws up a lot of terminal commands

And I too, can't stand using it for launching apps. I have 4 pages of apps, and trying to navigate to them via Dock is harder than nailing jello to a tree. There really should be a configuration option, so one can specify what apps should appear. Then it might be useful to me.

But if that Stacks app ever appears I definitely am interested in it!

--
Mike

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007

--

That would be awesome if one of you guys could make this. I know it would make several people over at modmyiPhone happy too, as this issue has been brought up before.

I do an Unload -w in UIctl when not using it. That solves the incompatibility issues (e.g., when it is loaded it screws up a lot of terminal commands
Never thought to use UIctl...thanks!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well I had a go with the Snap2Album launcher, and I'm afraid I haven't gotten a handle on setting a delay in Bash before calling Snap2Album.

I tried a few different things like setting up counters or just using Sleep and a value, but I keep coming back to the same solution, and thats calling Snap2Album in the background with an "&
" at the end of the statement. Something I've noticed is that I cannot hit the home key and leave the bash script while its still being executed.

So basically, the "version" I have will snap a picture but you've only got about 3 seconds to do anything before it snaps. What this amounts to is basically a springboard picture taker, because there's really not enough time to switch to anything, lol. In example, if you had the picture snapping launcher on the 2nd page of your summerboard, it would snap the picture by the time you scrolled back to the first page. You can also launch it from Finder to take snaps as well, but again, its limited to your Summerboard :p.

If you've got any ideas for this novice, I'm all ears :)

I call it "Snapl" and I'll release it as soon as I give up on trying to add a delay, heh. I'll make sure to point out that it "takes pictures of your summerboard" as it's only function if thats the case, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Well I had a go with the Snap2Album launcher, and I'm afraid I haven't gotten a handle on setting a delay in Bash before calling Snap2Album.

I tried a few different things like setting up counters or just using Sleep and a value, but I keep coming back to the same solution, and thats calling Snap2Album in the background with an "&
" at the end of the statement. Something I've noticed is that I cannot hit the home key and leave the bash script while its still being executed.

So basically, the "version" I have will snap a picture but you've only got about 3 seconds to do anything before it snaps. What this amounts to is basically a springboard picture taker, because there's really not enough time to switch to anything, lol. In example, if you had the picture snapping launcher on the 2nd page of your summerboard, it would snap the picture by the time you scrolled back to the first page. You can also launch it from Finder to take snaps as well, but again, its limited to your Summerboard :p

I'm going to try and see what happens if one bash script calls on another and then closes itself. I'm hoping the script that was launched will still continue running, and not lock the home button until the script is done.

If you've got any ideas for this novice, I'm all ears :)

Oh, here's my icon :p

I call it "Snapl" and I'll release it as soon as I give up on trying to add a delay, heh. I'll make sure to point out that it "takes pictures of your summerboard" as it's only function if thats the case, lol.
Sweet! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! I did my own attempt at a bash script and using Snap2Album, but came across the same problem you did. Of course, my programming skills are extremely limited, so I gave up after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! I did my own attempt at a bash script and using Snap2Album, but came across the same problem you did. Of course, my programming skills are extremely limited, so I gave up after that.
Yeah, I haven't done anything like this since highschool, and that was perl :\ So um, you're stuck on the same bit? You can't add the delay either? I'm sure its possible, I just am not familiar with the syntax and I'm very rusty at programming.

My programming these days is limited to HTML, CSS and XML, if you could even call that programming. I think its more like painting by numbers actually now that I think about it.

Anyway I'm going to ask the lead programmar at work for some help on this, I helped him mod his phone so I know he'd be interested at having a go.

I've attached what I've done so far. If you want to try it out, upload it to your apps folder and give Snapl.sh 0755 permissions.

Attachments

H

Hayesimus

Oh oh! I want! I want! Shucks, just tell nate, creator of dock, to give it a whirl! :) i would love this app and i am loving the icon