Dock Connector to RCA Cable

Nerdy

Jan 17, 2009
Hey everyone!

Has anyone stumbled across a dock connector to RCA cable accessory so I can connect my iPhone 3G to my home stereo system? I'm not interested in charging while connected, so it doesn't have to be a true "dock". I just wanna listen to my songs on my home stereo.

Thank you all!

Nerdy :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Why not just use an 1/8" stereo to RCA cable and come out of the headphone jack? I do this all the time and it works fine. Much cheaper than buying a dock (which is basically what you'd have to use to get RCA outs from the dock interface)

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey everyone!

Has anyone stumbled across a dock connector to RCA cable accessory so I can connect my iPhone 3G to my home stereo system? I'm not interested in charging while connected, so it doesn't have to be a true "dock". I just wanna listen to my songs on my home stereo.

Thank you all!

Nerdy :)
Actually - you can do both at the same time! Use the 1/8 cable Dave told you, from the headphone -> home system RCA + the change in the bottom....just play all night long! ;)

Nerdy

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks psylichon for the tip on using the 1/8" stereo to RCA cable out of the headphone jack to my RCA inputs on my stereo. I have seen these recently and they are usually retractable.

Picazzo, thank you as well. You're right, I can use the headphone jack for the audio out, and the dock port to charge while playing tunes!

Thanks! :D

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
A cleaner solution (albeit more expensive) is to buy the Apple Universal Dock. It comes with an iPhone insert. Also buy a 1/8" to RCA adapter which plugs into the dock... and a charger plug that powers the unit. Then, whenever you want to listen to music, just dock the iPhone and play. This can also be your home charging station for you phone if it is in a convenient location.

/Jim

bobbabe

Sep 7, 2009
Question- is it not possible to come out of the phone directly from the dock connector to a stereo input , without using 1/8" phone connector? I thought the sound quality might be better using this method. Maybe not. It owuld most likely have to go into stereo via rca or better input jacks but again, thought the sound quality might be better with the dock connection. ?!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The sound quality is better from the dock connector because it bypasses the volume amplifier and sends a unity gain signal.

Though honestly, the headphone amp is really pretty good in the iPhone. Mixing and mastering music is what I do for a living, and I don't mind the quality from the headphone output at all.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Did I read somewhere that the phone must be in airplane mode when playing music from a dock connector? Is that the caveat to dock vs headphone port?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, not at all. I use the dock connector to pass audio and charge in the car all the time. No airplane mode required.