Docking problem?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 3, 2007
Hi all,

I've had a problem with my iPhone the past couple of days and wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar.

When I connect the iPhone to my iMac via the dock, the iPhone syncs just fine, but after a few minutes the phone chirps as if it's just been connected again and repeats the sync. This will continue for as long as the phone is connected to the computer. Sometimes the phone disappears from iTunes, most often, not.

Happens with no one in the room, not something with disturbing the iPhone's seating on the dock. I have replicated the behavior with two different docks, as well as plugging the cable directly into the phone. The USB cable is plugged directly into the iMac and is secure at both ends. iPhone software is 1.1.1, no modifications. iTunes 7.4.2 (4).

Seems to me the dock connector on the phone is shot. I have an appt at the Genius Bar for tomorrow night. Just curious if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks,
Dave

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While I haven't had this problems myself it's likely that one of the metal receiving prongs on the inside of the iPhone could be bent and would affect the connection you're getting. Have you dropped your iPhone at all or accidentally hit the bottom?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
hmm can't say i have had this exact problem but i did have an issue with my last iPhone.

when i plugged it into the wall at first, it would completely lose signal. later when i plugged it in, the screen would jumble and go completely insane. and later after that when i plugged it in, i heard a crackling/sparking noise so i took it back to Apple(also fiery-like over heating).

and just a re-cap on my return status: the "genius" took a look at it for a few seconds, this included plugging it into a computer and then after seeing what i described, he pulled out a small box, in which held my new friend:)

good luck with your visit to the store tomorrow

eric325

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Mine is the opposite. Everytime i undock i lose my internet connection on both 1.02 and 1.1.1 . ( 80% of the time ) I have to restart the computer all over again. Something i just can't figure. Btw have check and read almost all the post for at least a month but could not find another person that have the same problem.

Oct 3, 2007
While I haven't had this problems myself it's likely that one of the metal receiving prongs on the inside of the iPhone could be bent and would affect the connection you're getting. Have you dropped your iPhone at all or accidentally hit the bottom?
No, no trauma. I dropped it once back in July but this problem just cropped up in the last week. I have noticed that I can (gently) wiggle the connector back and forth, front to back. Not much play there, but some, and of course I don't know if it was always like that or not.

I think you are correct, I think something's not quite connecting and it's just wear and tear.

Oct 3, 2007
and just a re-cap on my return status: the "genius" took a look at it for a few seconds, this included plugging it into a computer and then after seeing what i described, he pulled out a small box, in which held my new friend:)

good luck with your visit to the store tomorrow
Nice! I'm hoping that's how my experience is tomorrow but I'm afraid my problem is just subtle enough that I will end up with a loaner for a week or two.

Thanks,
Dave

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
No, no trauma. I dropped it once back in July but this problem just cropped up in the last week. I have noticed that I can (gently) wiggle the connector back and forth, front to back. Not much play there, but some, and of course I don't know if it was always like that or not.

I think you are correct, I think something's not quite connecting and it's just wear and tear.

Oh just thought of something. Do you have a case or just keep the iPhone in your pocket? It might be pocket "sludge" that's wiggled it's way into the acceptor. You might want to try blowing some air into the iPhone to see if any little pieces of lint comes out. Maybe you can buy those compressed air cans for desktop keyboards and try using that. It's definitely worth a shot because mine doesn't wiggle much either so I woulnd't think that the dock was necessarily bad.