Does anybody else's 6/6+ crash their router?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by fury, Dec 24, 2014.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I have an old D-Link DIR655 router from some time in the era when 802.11N was still in draft stage, and it would randomly reboot when my iPhone 6 or 6+ was connected and downloading stuff. There's times when it'd do it every few minutes, to the point I'd usually just shut off wifi and let it slog through the download with my bad cell signal (at least it was consistent).

I have reset the router entirely (factory settings), and it has the last firmware, and this has happened with two different phones, so I dunno what else I could try.

Haven't had this problem with any other router. None of my other phones/tablets/computers did that. I decided to replace the router for other reasons anyway (never did get a 300mbps link out of it, and it's time to join this decade), but I thought I'd check in and see if anyone else has had this happen.

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I have that router. I don't have any issues like you're sharing. I have way too many devices on it's well. Do you use the wish settings or have you tried QoS for your idevice?

3. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

Why not get a newer router especially now everything is pretty much on sale during the holidays

Sent from my iPhone

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

None of the settings I changed had any effect. I wasn't using any of the features of the router, really, just stock wifi and Ethernet. Before I reset it, I had some port forwarding for my IRC stuff, and some QoS stuff on there for trying to improve AirPlay performance. I don't know if QoS actually even works on local network traffic.

Maybe my router was just plain fried. There was a mystery event some time ago that killed the Ethernet port on my Mac--maybe that same event screwed up my router just enough that it dies with certain conditions that just hadn't happened before I got an iPhone 6. Power surge or brownout or something

I did go ahead and upgrade to a Netgear R8000, because I wanted AC and better range and all that.