Does anyone else find the iOS 5 way of closing Apps clunky?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dex Pt'Chang, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

I had a iPhone 4 till I JB'd it & it went white when I deleted some Apps w/ a file manager. If you hit the home button it just shut down the app & one couldn't run apps in the background (unless one JB'd it).
    So I order the 4s (& yes I learnt my lesson so spare me the tirade (the depth of ppls Apple passions on this forum is amusing)), & I see now w/ iOS 5 if I hit home they go to background & I find the way one has to close them as clunky. Takes too long, too much input to just close an app. Add another step if you want to close an app you have open. That's un-intuative, if you know what I mean. At least we should have a choice to shut down an app (w/ just a single touch) or send it to background, when the app is open. Yes I'm glad they finally allowed us to run apps in the background or..ahem, "multitasking", but I hope they can figure out something else. Btw, after being told there was nothing I could do w/ my dead iPhone4 at two establishments, I figured how to get it to kick back to life & restore factory settings. My 16 daughter is most pleased.

2. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

Woops....iOS 4.3. Duh

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Jailbreak it, get SBsettings and the toggle called remove background. A swipe across the top of the screen (default activation method), tap the RemoveBG toggle and all apps will be closed. One of the best ways I've found, so far. :)

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Hey Scott.
    Where is the remove background toggle?

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Nvrmind, thought it was built in. Found it in Cydia.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Good deal. I use that toggle ALL the time!

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I had to uninstall SBSettings.
    It kept crashing. Never really found it too useful for the way I use my device anyhow, but was needing a way to kill multitasking. Did not like the way I had to go into SBSettings and activate it.
    I want to permantly disable multitasking.
    There was a useful tweek that worked via Winterboard with my old 3GS jailbreak, but alas, most of the Winterborad stuff is old and does not work with iOS 5

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Do you mean clear the multitasking queue or disable multitasking altogether?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The way it works makes it easiest for multitasking while preserving battery life. Having a pop up (asking if you want to close or background) every time you close an app or get a phone call while you're in app would slow things down. They are frozen rather than running so they use a negligible amount of battery.

If you jailbreak, you can install SwitcherMod. I prefer it over Remove Background. I don't think the all-or-nothing approach Remove Background uses is optimal. Switcher Mod will enhance stock multisaking. It shows you which apps are frozen and which are closed and adds the close app x by default so you don't have to press and hold.

10. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

So there's absolutely no apprehensions about jail breaking?

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sure, always apprehension for me;-)
    But once it's done it's so nice to be able to fully customize your device.
    With superusers around here like Europa, always willing to help, it's well worth the effort.
    This Absinthe JB was actually one of the quickest/easiest I have experienced.

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Thanks for the info, as always.
    For my use, I just don't see any benefit of multitasking. I need to squeeze every iota of battery life I can so I came to the conclusion that just eliminating that variable provided more benefit than any loss.
    Will I actually use MORE battery by continuously having to fully launch any app I use throughout the day than if it was just frozen or suspended?
    I'm sure that is up for debate.....

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

snowtropper, I think disabling stock multitasking is a waste of time because it uses an extremely small amount of battery power, but it's pretty easy to disable if you really want to do it. You just change multitasking from true to false on a .plist file. The benefit of keeping it enabled is being able to quickly switch between apps without having to restart them. It would be a waste of a great feature. The reason it took so long for Apple to implement it was that they refused to roll it out if it impacted battery life. So they worked on it until they found a way around that, which was freezing apps rather than keeping them running.

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Looking to disable, but interested in Europa's reply or my last post.

Thanks on the heads up on the app, I appreciate it.

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

And there it is....
    Interesting.
    Perhaps it's was just incorrect info I had. I was under the impression that they (any app in the multitask tray) were running in the background, active, but using much less power than when open. That was the benefit I thought, so that frequently used apps would launch faster.
    What I'm getting from your post is that the multi tray is just a glorified folder shortcut to frequently used apps.
    I know that's oversimplified......

Now altering a .plist file, that sounds like a good time. Haven't hacked into an iPhone OS since u helped me create custom ringtone files on my 3GS running 3.1.2 two years ago.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I tested it on 4.x. I disabled it from the phone itself with iFile. It was just a matter of navigating to the .plist and editing it so it said multitasking = false (the default is multiasking = true) and then respringing.