Does anyone hate the fact that you have to update your apps all the time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yodeski, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Yodeski

Yodeski Member
    Bronze

Do you hate the fact that you always have to update apps? What do you think? I'd love to see what other folks think about that red update symbol that never seems to go away.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Oh how I hate improvements and bug fixes to apps.
    Laden heavily with sarcasm ;)

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most developers continuously look at their software and provide bug fixes, firmware-compatibility updates, security updates, improvements and enhancements as needed and upon request. The apps may not be compatible with major firmware updates, so they might become worthless if the developers don't update them for the new firmware. I don't mind it at all; I prefer to buy software and apps that aren't abandoned by their developers. You can stick with old versions if you like. Apple doesn't force you to update.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

No they don't. :)
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1329632257.789651.jpg

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Lol, that would drive me nuts! It's bad enough that iTunes always shows that I have five apps with updates available but when I click on the button to update it tells me there are none available.

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It used to drive me nuts. I also hate the email badge. I always open them to get rid of the badge. I show seven because my kids just emailed me good nights and I returned five redbox movies.
    I don't update them because I got tired of the changes that was being made. Unless I'm have a problem with the app I don't update. I will update when iOS 5.1 comes out or I jailbreak.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Me, too. I've had a couple of updates over the years that I regretted doing, but that was easy to fix. You just delete it on your phone and sync. The old version will be synced on when you do this. If you've already synced and have the new version on your computer, you just delete the app on your phone, grab the .ipa out of the trash can and drag it into iTunes and then sync. I'm not going to miss out on all of the helpful updates when there is a solution for the rare occasion that one sucks.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I do grab the files out of my recycle bin. Kevin taught me that trick.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Heh. I taught him that trick.

So why not update then? The only preventative maintenance involved is not emptying your trash until you've tested the apps. I'd rather have garbage in the trash than outdated versions of most of my apps. Most of them are either beneficial or neutral. The other option is to grab them all out of the trash can and hang onto them, but I'm top lazy to do that.

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Never thought about it. I also only sync once every month. If that. I don't have anything on my phone i would die without if I lost it.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you can get away without syncing at all since 5.0 and iCloud.

The first method I mentioned would work perfectly for you then. ;)

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I don't use the cloud. Just have never been one to sync often.
    I think now it is more of a let's see how high I can get that badge number. :)

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, we couldn't be more different there. I update the moment I notice them.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I used to be that way. Am that way with every thing. I had a run of bad updates that changed things that I liked. Or added thing I didn't like. So I stopped updating. Plus I have only not been updating since Xmas.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I get what you're saying. It's just that there is a workaround so you don't have to take an all-or-nothing approach and miss out on the good updates.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Very true. I hadn't thought of it like that till tonight.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

yeah that is me

18. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Updates can be a pain in the pattute but at least the iPhone makes it easy to select "Update All" and get it done quickly. If you're connected over WiFi when you do the updates it goes very fast, and of course you can continue to do other things while the phone updates your apps.

19. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I actually get excited when I see that updates are available!

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

20. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I look forward to updates because new features and tweaks are always welcomed.