Does anyone know how many milli amps the iPhone uses an hour?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iloveiphones, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

How many milli amps does the iPhone use an hour? I'm creating a device that will have a 2600 mAh battery but I don't know how to calculate how many the device will use an hour. This is quite hard! So I'm using the iPhone as an example. Thanks!

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It will depend a lot on the actual usage of the device. As you've seen in the many battery usage threads around here different folks get varying mileage based on how they use their device on any given day. The iPhone 4 has a 1420 mAh battery. If one were to track their battery usage over the day on their iPhone 4 they could find their average usage per hour. For example, if after 8 hours of use the battery was down to 10% capacity this would mean that 1278 mAh had been used. Divide that by 8 and you get 159.75 mAh used per hour.

Keep in mind that there are many variables to consider. For example, the iPhone 4S has a slightly bigger battery (1432 mAh according to my search results) but its running a faster processor so that doesn't necessarily mean its going to last longer. Your best bet for coming up with hard data is to track your own battery usage on your iPhone and calculate your average mAh used per hour over the course of a week.

Any chance you can tell us what you're making? Or is it top secret FBI work? ;)

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Thank you! Couldn't ask for a better explanation, I don't think. But at least I know a lot more now!

And it's top secret, I haven't even told my best friends who know squat about computers.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Glad to help. :)

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you have a clamp meter you could physically, 'meter' the electrical usage. You'll need a decent Fluke, or something similar.

I use clamps all the time in my job (wireless energy management), you learn all types of crazy stuff.