Does Apple intend to offer GPS capability?

jrhtaylor

May 11, 2007
Does anyone yet know if the intention is to provide GPS functionality?
I can't see the use in providing traffic information otherwise (apart from a gimmick). Also, the addition of GPS would be the death knell for thrid party sat nav products.

JR

May 6, 2007
United States
Does anyone yet know if the intention is to provide GPS functionality?
I can't see the use in providing traffic information otherwise (apart from a gimmick). Also, the addition of GPS would be the death knell for thrid party sat nav products.

JR
I don't think there is any official mention of GPS at this point, but I would think it will likely appear in future versions.

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
Could this be something that can be downloaded? To me, if the phone could find its position on the globe, it should be able to function as a gps. There are the Boost moble phones "Where you at?!?" They can find another personon that network. My sprint phone has a free download that you could find friends and family... Why not?

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
T-HAN, I think what you are describing isn't GPS, it some other technology that uses which mobile tower your connected to to tell where you are, my phone displays which tower your connected to, and since each tower is labeled by their location, it displays whic suburb I'm in.