does Apple store clean screens?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
i think i heard someone went to Apple store and had some dirt or dust behind the screen, and took it to Apple and they cleaned it up in about 15-20 mins for free, my fiance went to Apple and she was told they don't clean under the screens, seems like Apple would, but im not sure, what you guys know?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a 3G replaced because there was dust/grit under the screen. They don't take the phone apart in store so I can't possibly imagine them removing the screen.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
They should swap the phone if there is dirt under the screen

I went into the Apple store a few days ago to try and get my iPhone replaced due to dust underneath the screen. They politely told me no..

The phone isn't a sealed unit so they said warranty didn't cover it- i called BS obviously but he stood his ground and said no (so i'm going to a different store :) )

They also said to me even if it could be replaced we couldn't because my warranty was voided due to 3.0 beta FW installed on the handset. They genius type bloke said i officially can't even touch your phone. I got a really ****y comment stating 'Your dev should have told you that'

I still have urges to go back in store and puch him the mouth.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Just restore your phone and go to another store. Here in the states they seem to just swap out phones with dust/dirt under the screen.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Your warranty is not void...he is BS'ing. However, having 3.0 installed means that you cant go into a genius until the retail version is released. He should have told you where to report faults with 3.0 installed, its like a dev repair centre you have to send your phone to!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Your warranty is not void...he is BS'ing. However, having 3.0 installed means that you cant go into a genius until the retail version is released. He should have told you where to report faults with 3.0 installed, its like a dev repair centre you have to send your phone to!
I went to te Glasgow store whilst traveling. He stated that my FW wasn't official so my phone was void until i had the official FW installed. I thought he was talking crap.

I'm going to try the Manchester store(s) too see if i get any further with this. I'll wait until the 3.0 fw update comes out, then if he starts arguing I'll know where I stand. It makes me laugh when you go in and ask for a replacement and they get all defensive- they act like it's there actual iPhone there giving away.

I'll be polite and if it doesn't work I'll just smash the shop up. Then you'll see me all over crime watch

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
I went into the Apple store a few days ago to try and get my iPhone replaced due to dust underneath the screen. They politely told me no..

The phone isn't a sealed unit so they said warranty didn't cover it- i called BS obviously but he stood his ground and said no (so i'm going to a different store :) )

They also said to me even if it could be replaced we couldn't because my warranty was voided due to 3.0 beta FW installed on the handset. They genius type bloke said i officially can't even touch your phone. I got a really ****y comment stating 'Your dev should have told you that'

I still have urges to go back in store and puch him the mouth.
well im on 3.0, and the guy i just dealt with yesterday was cool. i tried to cover it up a bit, by moving icons that are noticeable to pages 4 and 5. but je still noticed when he went to check my serial number. he goes "so, is this you personal phone?" i say yes and kind of smirk cause i knkow were this is going. then he says "Are you a Dev?" i say no a buddy of mine is, and he has me helping him....

But he still replaced the screen for me even though it is void, because #.0 has nothing to do with dirt upder the screen. your guy was just a d*ck.

here is my suggestion:
1. go back and hope you don't get the same guy.
2. try a diifernt store.
3. wait a few days till the official release, and then go back. your warranty should still be intact, even if you bought the phone on the release date, 7/11/08.

Good Luck!:laugh2:

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
so let me get this straight, we can't clean the screen because we will void the warranty, they can't clean the screen because it's not covered, sounds to me like a bunch of poop!

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
so let me get this straight, we can't clean the screen because we will void the warranty, they can't clean the screen because it's not covered, sounds to me like a bunch of poop!
no, the screen does not just get cleaned, it gets replaced. the warranty is "void" because some of us are on 3.0 early. i sau void in "" cause as you can see above that i got mine done at Apple store, and mine is on 3.0.....

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I had dust under my screen and I got a new/refurbished phone via Apple. It took 2 weeks and they had forgotten about my phone for thefirst week and I called them up and they gave me a free iTunes $50 gift card after about half an hour of me wasting time jus trying to get someone and then another hour trying to sort the problem out.

colberjs

Jun 15, 2009
So I should be able to take my phone to the Apple store in Tulsa and get the whole phone replaced because of dirt under the sreen? My original purpose for getting on here was to get some info on buying a kit to replace the screen myself.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So I should be able to take my phone to the Apple store in Tulsa and get the whole phone replaced because of dirt under the sreen? My original purpose for getting on here was to get some info on buying a kit to replace the screen myself.
Yep, they'll replace it for free as long as it's less than a year old (standard warranty time).