Does Apple Store Take Cash?

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Since all AT&T stores are sold out, I'm planning on getting an iPhone from a NY Apple store. However, I heard Apple stores don't take cash for iPhones? Would it be possible for me to buy a $600 Apple Gift Card or something with cash then buy the iPhone with the gift card? I read somewhere that they allow this for customers who don't have a credit/debit card.

Can anybody confirm this? Thanks

Jul 21, 2008
Ya dude , I bought my phone with cash
All they did is transfer that money to a giftcard and then use that to buy it
Good luck man:)

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
When I bought mine they required you to have a credit card (or check card). It may depend on which store and which person at that moment.

rmfnla

Bronze
I was told by the Apple sales guy that they required a credit card for the V.1 as a way to track who bought how many. Apparently they had a limit to keep people from unlocking and reselling them, although when I mentioned that many people have multiple credit cards he just shrugged.

Since they activate the 3G when you buy it one would think this would no longer be an issue, but as aahitman says, it may depend who you are talking to and when.

jaeguyoon

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
why wouldn't they take cash? not being sarcastic just asking if they have a good reason not to.

cos I bought my macbook at a Apple store and I paid cash. it was a big annoying cos the guy had to check all the bills with that marker thing.

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
why wouldn't they take cash? not being sarcastic just asking if they have a good reason not to.

cos I bought my macbook at a Apple store and I paid cash. it was a big annoying cos the guy had to check all the bills with that marker thing.
It's not Apple, it's AT&T.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I'd advise you to buy the iPhone directly from Apple anyway. There are no excuses should you have to return it for any reason during the warranty period. I've heard horror stories of people that tried to return their first gen phone to AT&T. They always tend to blame the problem on an uncovered issue. With Apple, you make your appointment with the Genius Bar and they'll try to remedy the problem. If not, they will replace your phone without any hassles at all.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I'd advise you to buy the iPhone directly from Apple anyway. There are no excuses should you have to return it for any reason during the warranty period. I've heard horror stories of people that tried to return their first gen phone to AT&T. They always tend to blame the problem on an uncovered issue. With Apple, you make your appointment with the Genius Bar and they'll try to remedy the problem. If not, they will replace your phone without any hassles at all.
I've always said the SAME thing. It's "Apple's" product in "Apple's" store. If you have a Apple store near you, I'd get it from there, as will I when the time comes. Besides most AT&T employees here are part-time idiots with htc's on their hips looking for a sell.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've always said the SAME thing. It's "Apple's" product in "Apple's" store. If you have a Apple store near you, I'd get it from there, as will I when the time comes. Besides most AT&T employees here are part-time idiots with htc's on their hips looking for a sell.
LOL so true. I actually have a friend whos wife is a mgr at an AT&T store. They argued with me prior to the release of 3G that I was not eligible for the upgrade price since I hadn't had my first gen for the duration of my two year contract... seriously, no crap; Did anyone since they weren't out for two years and everyone signed a new two year contract when the first iPhone came out? Of course, he was the first one to see my new 3G on July 11th!

brian5

Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
I can confirm that the Apple store let the woman in front of me pay cash, by buying a gift card first, in Westchester county, NY.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I can confirm that the Apple store let the woman in front of me pay cash, by buying a gift card first, in Westchester county, NY.
yes if anything, if youre planning on using cash, suggest the gift card way when you get to the counter.:laugh2:

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey

They take cash for everything except iPhones, probably because they want to track how many they sell or something.

And anyway, I don't have a CC or DC so I'll try cash. If they won't let me then I'll just buy a gift card and use that.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Don't go with cash because it'll be a waste of time. They DO require a credit card. Just buy the gift card before you try it then.

rmfnla

Bronze
Except when my V.1 crashed the Apple people sent me to AT&T to have them check my SIM (?).

AT&T was no help (surprise!) and Apple finally replaced the phone, but what should have taken a single trip took three.