Does AT&T honor a iPhone bought from eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boulonman, Dec 15, 2009.

1. boulonman

boulonman New Member

Hi guys, I am new at this and trying to learn fast, I bought a 3G 8G jailbroke,unlocked iPhone from ebay and it works great, however if I ever decide to upgrade to the newest 3GS will ATT credit me anything for my old iPhone or am I stuck trying to sell it again? thank you for your help, alan:)

2. RossMc

RossMc Zealot
    Gold

You will have to sell it more than likley

Im not in the US so I don't know about AT&T but I know O2 or Orange in the UK wouldn't.

3. Pggylb

Pggylb Member
    Bronze

Are you asking will they let you upgrade when it's time?

Yes, they should. I bought a Motorola Pebbl unlocked from Motorola when another phone bit the dust. And AT&T still honored me with an upgrade option when it came time.

I hope this answers your question.

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I have found that AT&T has a very weird policy on phone purchased outside of their stores. I bought a nokia 6620 from them, and 2 years later, I bought another off ebay, as I crushed the screen on the first one.
    I had to call in and activate the IMEI to be able to get on the net, but other than that, it was a continuation of my original plan.
    When I started looking at other phones, I talked to them about upgrading and I was told I was not eligible because I didn't buy my phone from them. I said that I bought the original one from them and haven't upgraded from that purchase and contract, and they said it didn't matter because I activated a new phone on the network since then.... bastards. That is the only problem I can think of that I have ever had with AT&T.
    But to answer your question in short form, yes, you will need to sell the existing one after you get the new one. There is not a trade in from the previous model to the next, just a subsidized price for new contracts.

5. Pggylb

Pggylb Member
    Bronze

Ok. Maybe the difference with me is I didn't get online? Idk. All I know is I was still eligible for an upgrade when the time came. But, this was about a year ago.

6. cuflatwi

cuflatwi Guest

Hi everybody,
    I finally got my iPhone 3G 8G unlocked, jailbroke from ebay after saving for a long long time !
    I got a prepay T-mobile sim card and it works fine to make calls, no frills.

7. boulonman

boulonman New Member

Ditto!

Hi sounds like you and I did the same thing, I bought a 3G 8gig from EBay for around 500$ and stuck a prepaid T-Mobile sim in it and it works fine, however I only can make calls since I didn't pay for extras like hotspots and texting.
    I was told by a Tmobile rep that I can get a monthly plan for my Ebay iPhone that would give me wifi coverage and texting and 500 minutes a month for around 60$ not bad when some people are paying around 100$ for the same thing except maybe more minutes, I don't know if the free evenings and weekend minutes apply to all cells or landlines or just Tmobile customers, does anybody know? regards, boulonman:cool:

8. asctony

asctony New Member
    Bronze

If you live in the US, you can get T-Mobile Unlimited Talk and Text for $60.00/month without a contract (no 2-year commitment.) Then you can add Unlimited Internet for an additional $10.00/month. That is $70.00 plus the taxes and fees. T-Mobile will not want to give you the $10.00/month Unlimited Internet if they know you have an iPhone. They will tell you that the iPhone will not work with that plan. NOT TRUE. I have it and others do too. Just go to T-Mobile.com and check it out.

I have been using T-Mobile for years and have not had any problems. Hope this helps you. Happy Holidays.

T-Mobile uses a SIM card and thus any phone that takes a SIM card does not need to be activated by T-Mobile if the SIM card is a T-Mobile SIM card. I have used the same SIM card in 5 different phones (MDA, WING, OMNIA I900, and now my iPhone 3G and never had a problem. T-Mobile has never questioned where I got the phone from (did not buy any of those phones from them.)

9. asctony

asctony New Member
    Bronze

I forgot to add that T-Mobile also gives a 12% discount on your phone bill, excludes taxes and fees, if you have a AAA membership. That adds up. An AAA membership is $45.00. A 12% discount on a plan of $70/month equates to $8.40/month * 12 months = $100.80 - $45 = $55.80 savings/Year.
    Happy Holidays.