Does FaceTime include audio?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

maximo916

Bronze
Sep 17, 2009
There is sound.
The people in the advertisement are communicating via sign langauge. They are deaf, so sound wouldn't matter to them anyway. It's actually pretty cool if you know someone who is deaf, and who is able to make a phone call now.

Sravanikishore

Bronze
Oct 31, 2011
Is it only possible to connect to Facetime when we are connected to wifi using iPhone 4?

Last edited by a moderator:

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yes, as of right now FaceTime only works when connected to a wifi network. Perhaps one day we can use FaceTime with cellular data. I'm guessing they are worried the quality of the experience would be greatly diminished if people used FaceTime on a slow network connection.

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
As far as using FaceTime goes, yes you are correct. You may want to look at Tango. It's a free app and will work off 3G and wifi.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Yes, as of right now FaceTime only works when connected to a wifi network. Perhaps one day we can use FaceTime with cellular data. I'm guessing they are worried the quality of the experience would be greatly diminished if people used FaceTime on a slow network connection.

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app
In all fairness. FaceTimes quality is pants over 3G and WIFI. I have used it on both via 3G Unrestrictor. I had 5 bar 3G signal and it was crap. FaceTime over WIFI is still laggy at best. Video calling will never catch on anyway. Why would I want to see my friend on my screen during a call? I already know what he looks like lol, But I can understand it would be nice for people in certain circumstances.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
In all fairness. FaceTimes quality is pants over 3G and WIFI. I have used it on both via 3G Unrestrictor. I had 5 bar 3G signal and it was crap. FaceTime over WIFI is still laggy at best. Video calling will never catch on anyway. Why would I want to see my friend on my screen during a call? I already know what he looks like lol, But I can understand it would be nice for people in certain circumstances.
We had a baby a few weeks ago and my parents in Hawaii were able to see her right after she was born in the hospital via facetime. I know she was loving her iPad then! I use it occasionally with my parents and sometimes even with a friend in the same city. It's a fun alternative to use sometimes. I doubt anybody uses it as their sole way of communicating, but like most things on this amazing device, it's nice to have when you want it!

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
We had a baby a few weeks ago and my parents in Hawaii were able to see her right after she was born in the hospital via facetime. I know she was loving her iPad then! I use it occasionally with my parents and sometimes even with a friend in the same city. It's a fun alternative to use sometimes. I doubt anybody uses it as their sole way of communicating, but like most things on this amazing device, it's nice to have when you want it!
And they are the circumstances I meant :)