Does frequent "powering down" hurt your iPhone?

sunstorm

Oct 11, 2007
Call me paranoid, but I'm still not comfortable with keeping my phone on while it's in my pocket, next to my unmentionables, emitting small doses of radiation.

...So, for the most part, I power up only to make calls and check my messages and email, & power back down (all the way off, not "sleep") before carrying it in my pocket.

Given the time it takes to power down & boot up, I'm sure that this wasn't the way Apple intended the phone to be used... But I'm wondering: does all this booting up & powering down (once or twice a day) hurt my phone?

Any info appreciated.

btw, this is an amazing device. Kudos to Apple for coming up with it. Apple iPhone is a little taste of the future, right in the here and now. I'm not surprised that people with other carriers than AT&T are thinking about suing to be able to use this baby...

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
It just defeats the whole purpose of having a phone. Might as well get a beeper and then turn your phone on to respond back.

Okay, depends maybe on how often you turn the radiation on and off...

:rolleyes:

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Call me paranoid, but I'm still not comfortable with keeping my phone on while it's in my pocket, next to my unmentionables, emitting small doses of radiation.

...So, for the most part, I power up only to make calls and check my messages and email, & power back down (all the way off, not "sleep") before carrying it in my pocket.

Given the time it takes to power down & boot up, I'm sure that this wasn't the way Apple intended the phone to be used... But I'm wondering: does all this booting up & powering down (once or twice a day) hurt my phone?

Any info appreciated.

btw, this is an amazing device. Kudos to Apple for coming up with it. Apple iPhone is a little taste of the future, right in the here and now. I'm not surprised that people with other carriers than AT&T are thinking about suing to be able to use this baby...
Obviously, the iPhone uses much less power when it's turned off than when it's sleeping. But I imagine that cold booting it every time you want to use it would be very frustrating. I also think that the risk to your unmentionables, be they testes or ovaries, is too small to worry about. :) I would just leave it on and enjoy it.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I can't see how turning the device off would harm it. I would assume that it is a situation where the startup is the "harshest" on the device of all the uses, but then again it is not a platter HD in there, so that might be a non-issue. Like others pointed out, I am sure your jublies are going to be just fine, stop putting it in your pants pocket and move it to a hip holder or something. At least this way it is a little further from your - stuff.

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
I'm sorry, but if you're worried about radiation from your phone... then I'm not sure how you are living on this planet.:p There are much worse things. Plus, your phone is in your pocket, doing no harm to you asides keeping it warm.

Not so sure also if it's "healthy" for it to boot every... let's say... hour. Better to keep it on and in the sleep mode.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Considering on any given day you are surrounded by electronic devices emitting some kind of electromagnetic, radio frequency, radiation, waves and zippity-zaps, I wouldn't be worried that you'll get testicular cancer from your iPhone. Between smog, polution, radiation and various poisons from other sources, it seems mild in comparison. Just turn your phone on and enjoy it.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Simply sitting at the oppsite end of your monitor is considerably more harmful to your health than carrying a cellphone in your pocket, but that is neither here nor there.

To answer your question, the only harm you'll be doing is adding to the "daily wear" of your power button. Although I have no doubts about it's quality, the formfactor would imply its not meant to be used as often as say the Ringer slider button.

I think the worst that could happen is the resistance in the button slowly gives out, lowering the buttons profile but not affecting its functionality.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007

Any info appreciated.

Just put it in airplane mode. Shuts off all the stuff that would cause harm to you tadpoles...me I strap it right to my... Insert some object that holds things..i don't want any kids...great free birth control. :) and forpeople without a sense of humor that was a joke.