Does iOS 6 affect the ability to use speaker docks?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Irish76, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Irish76

Irish76 Member
    Bronze

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to IOS 6 recently. Shortly after, I discovered that my iPhone won't play through the speaker of my Sony clock radio. It charges fine though. Could IOS 6 have something to do with this? I've rebooted the phone both in and out of the dock.

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Mine Works fine with my Bose SoundDock. I also have an iPhone 4 on iOS 6.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

It will depend on the dock. Many docks communicate with the device to tell it to play audio, and the langauge it uses to communicate can change with new versions of iOS. It could have become incompatible, sending new messages that the dock isn't familiar with and doesn't know how to proceed, or iOS could have been made to ignore or reject certain older messages.

What's the model of the Sony clock radio?

Do you have any other docks you can try your iPhone on?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Seems like it's affecting various dockable units:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3405168?start=30&tstart=0

I know this doesn't provide a solution for you, but at least you can read about other folks' experiences.

Is your Sony clock radio still in warranty? Maybe you could reach out to Sony to see if they have anything to say about your situation. Good customer service on Sony's part would mean they would be willing to offer a replacement unit, but I admit that that's a lot to expect 0f them.

I would also write Apple about this. Since it's more than likely Apple's "fault" that this is happening to you (I like fury 's informative post, above); maybe they could do something to help you out. Again, these are excellent customer service expectations, but excellent customer service is something Apple excels at. Depending on how much that Sony clock radio means to you, you might even want to reach out to a higher-up at Apple directly via e-mail. (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/press-here/apple-CEO-Tim-Cook-Loves-to-Answer-Your-Email-128823808.html).

Good luck.