Does it have to be Activated to Jailbreak/Unlock

Jun 15, 2009
To Jailbreak then Unlock an iPhone 3G, does it need to be active at the time of doing it, or can it be unactivated. I am gettin the 3Gs on Friday, and im going to Jailbreak and Unlock my 3G and sell it. But do i Do that while its still activated (AKA before Friday), or can i jailbreak and unlock, after its been unactivated?

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
To Jailbreak then Unlock an iPhone 3G, does it need to be active at the time of doing it, or can it be unactivated. I am gettin the 3Gs on Friday, and im going to Jailbreak and Unlock my 3G and sell it. But do i Do that while its still activated (AKA before Friday), or can i jailbreak and unlock, after its been unactivated?
I'm 99% sure that it does not have to be activated. Can anyone confirm this for sure?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Jailbreaking will activate them if they are not already activated.

Jun 15, 2009
So if Jailbreaking it Activates it, Then i should Jailbreak and Unlock before friday while my Normal 3G is still active. Cause when i go in to Apple to activate my 3G, im guessing they will de-activate my 3G. Am i correct on my approach and thinking?

OR Could i jsut Put my 3Gs Sim card in my old 3g After my 3G has been activated, and then just use that to make my 3g look activated, and just jailbreak/unlock it then? Sorry if im confusing, i am confused and trying understand it. thanks

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
So if Jailbreaking it Activates it, Then i should Jailbreak and Unlock before friday while my Normal 3G is still active. Cause when i go in to Apple to activate my 3G, im guessing they will de-activate my 3G. Am i correct on my approach and thinking?

OR Could i jsut Put my 3Gs Sim card in my old 3g After my 3G has been activated, and then just use that to make my 3g look activated, and just jailbreak/unlock it then? Sorry if im confusing, i am confused and trying understand it. thanks

Well here's how I look at it. When you Jailbreak/Unlock it has nothing to do with the Sim card. I'm pretty sure you can do both without the Sim card. When you unlock your phone, it just unlocks the iPhones software to accept other carriers. To my knowledge, it doesn't matter if there's a active Sim card inside or not.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm pretty sure both ways will work. I'd probably restore it to factory setting (to wipe your data) and update it to 3.0 Thursday night (but not sync any apps or media and not even put any settings or email accts in it), switch to the 3GS on Friday, and then wait for the Dev Team to release the JB and unlock for your 3G, I don't think it's going to take long at all for them to release it. Once you put 3.0 on it, it will already be activated (even if the SIM isn't working anymore because you since got the 3GS), so you should be able to just JB and unlock it at that point.

You can still use it for phone calls Thurs night and Friday morning if you want, it just won't have your stuff on it.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm pretty sure both ways will work. I'd probably restore it to factory setting (to wipe your data) and update it to 3.0 Thursday night (but not sync any apps or media and not even put any settings or email accts in it), switch to the 3GS on Friday, and then wait for the Dev Team to release the JB and unlock for your 3G, I don't think it's going to take long at all for them to release it. Once you put 3.0 on it, it will already be activated (even if the SIM isn't working anymore because you since got the 3GS), so you should be able to just JB and unlock it at that point.
Exactly. :cool:

Jun 15, 2009

You can still use it for phone calls Thurs night and Friday morning if you want, it just won't have your stuff on it.
THAT is exactly what i was thinking i wanted to Do. I was just confused if i could still jailbreak/unlock after i switch over to the 3GS, Since my 3G would be de-activated. So just didn't know if i should Jailbreak/unlock before i switch to 3GS or After i switch.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You could do it before, but I don't know if the JB and unlock for 3.0 will be available on Thur night. If it is, go for it. I just think the phones will go for more on eBay if they are unlocked on 3.0 than if they are unlocked on 2.2 or 2.2.1. It should work fine without the SIM or with an unactivated SIM, but if it doesn't, you could always pop the 3GS SIM in it.

Jun 15, 2009
You could do it before, but I don't know if the JB and unlock for 3.0 will be available on Thur night. If it is, go for it. I just think the phones will go for more on eBay if they are unlocked on 3.0 than if they are unlocked on 2.2 or 2.2.1. It should work fine without the SIM or with an unactivated SIM, but if it doesn't, you could always pop the 3GS SIM in it.
Ya my thinking exactly, i was gonna do 2.2.1 but then i saw yellowsn0w is doing a demo tonight to show off it working on 3.0. So i don't mind waiting another week or something for the 3.0 jailbreak and unlock to come out. I do think it will be a way nicer plus if i have it at 3.0 and unlocked. Again thanks to everyone, you all really helped me out, and now im hella stoked to get my 3GS.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
So everyone agrees if selling a v1 on eBay to wait and upgrade to 3.0 and then unlock/jailbreak?

Can I upgrade to 3.0 software, do a full restore, and still keep the 3.0 software?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes.

You can restore to 2.2.1 right now and then upgrade to 3.0 in a few hours, or you can wait for 3.0 and restore at the same time.

Here's the order; Restore (only if you are already JB right now), upgrade to 3.0, jailbreak, then unlock.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Perfect. Not jailbroken now. Just going to do it to sell the phone.

I'll upgrade to 3.0, use it until I get my 3GS, then jailbreak and unlock and sell $$$$$ ! :)