Does it make sense to use an OLED display for iWatch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, Jan 20, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There's a report today floating around (mentioned here at eiC) that Apple is going to use LG to produce the display panel for their upcoming wearable device or iWatch. That sounds feasible, along with the July-September production timeline. That would make iWatch the must-have holiday give. The source says Apple will use OLED for their displays. While OLED offers incredibly vibrant colors and deep blacks, it appears that it's not great in sunlight. To me, that sounds like it would be a less than ideal display for a watch.

appleiwatch130210.png

Thoughts?

#1 chris, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

100% Agree with this statement. I better start saving my gambling winnings. I netted $20 on squares this weekend during the conference championship games.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Some form of LED or S-LED would be better for use in direct sunlight.

4. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Because they are Apple, whatever they end up using will be a result of countless R&D hours that will yield a product of perfection that will operate well in all environments. That's why we choose Apple over the rest, correct?

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

They better hurry with whatever they are doing, my watch is on the brink of breaking.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm sure Tim read your post last night and is moving up plans to release the iWatch ASAP.:D