Does it matter what brand dock connector to USB cord I get?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Same as roofmonkey, I have always had a USB extender on my charger making it 6 feet. Charge my phone with either the iPad or iPhone charger. And have used third party wall chargers and car chargers. Have never had a problem before.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
oh ok. It might affect the time. I haven't really paid attention but it probably does a little bit.
Yeah I haven't noticed a real difference either. I like the luxury of the long cable as far as being able to sit on the couch or lie in bed without pulling the cord out. :)

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Yeah I haven't noticed a real difference either. I like the luxury of the long cable as far as being able to sit on the couch or lie in bed without pulling the cord out. :)
I know, its weird that the cord they give you is so short. Pretty much good for nothing. If you need to use your phone while it's plugged in its almost impossible. Definitely nice with the extension.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Which will be faster a 6 foot USB to doc connector or a 3 foot USB extension?
I have 6ft total. I'm assuming the shorter the faster. But in my opinion. The overall difference is going to be very minimal and probably unnoticed. I would say get whichever one length wise helps you out more.

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
I mean if both are 6 feet of cable, one a 3 ft USB extension combined w the 3 ft factory cable the other all one piece but aftermarket, which is faster?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Guess you would need to put a Volt/ohm meter on them to find out for sure. If your using a shielded cable, I think the voltage drop is negligible and won't make a difference.

laughjimbo

Bronze
Aug 2, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I use both original lead and I have also got a 2m and 3m leads, I use the 2m lead for tethering my iPhone to MacBook pro as I sometimes want to charge my iPhone whilst using Mac and I need the slightly longer lead as I use it is a lorry and want my phone up on the dash out of the way. I use the longer lead for charging my iPad and iPhone and have compared the charging times to standard length lead and both have been about the same. No problems using them in the past for syncing either.

Laughjimbo

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app