Does it matter what brand dock connector to USB cord I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

The cord that is included w/ the iPhone is too short. At only 3 ft I cannot lay down and use my phone. I want one that is 6 feet, and found this cord -

http://www.amazon.com/iphone-Charge-Double-Length-Standard/dp/B0033BU0F8

Is that an ok company or does it not matter what brand cord you use as long as you use the Apple brand USB power adapter that comes w/ the iPhone?

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I would say no. I have some I bought of eBay. 6 footers. They look exactly like the OEM ones but are black. Work fine.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Is there any risk to damaging your phone or compromising charging time?

4. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I've never had any bad experience with 3rd party cables. Been using them for years on all of my iDevices.

5. richarddwyer10

richarddwyer10 New Member

At 6 feet it won't be 5 volts at the plug at 3 feet the voltage doesn't drop below 5volts

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

?
    I use a USB extender cable (3 footer) making it a total of 6 feet and have had zero problems charging the iPhone or iPad.

7. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Same as roofmonkey, I have always had a USB extender on my charger making it 6 feet. Charge my phone with either the iPad or iPhone charger. And have used third party wall chargers and car chargers. Have never had a problem before.

8. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I think Richard just meant it probably takes longer to charge with a longer cable?

9. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

oh ok. It might affect the time. I haven't really paid attention but it probably does a little bit.

10. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Yeah I haven't noticed a real difference either. I like the luxury of the long cable as far as being able to sit on the couch or lie in bed without pulling the cord out. :)

11. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I know, its weird that the cord they give you is so short. Pretty much good for nothing. If you need to use your phone while it's plugged in its almost impossible. Definitely nice with the extension.

12. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Which will be faster a 6 foot USB to doc connector or a 3 foot USB extension?

13. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I have 6ft total. I'm assuming the shorter the faster. But in my opinion. The overall difference is going to be very minimal and probably unnoticed. I would say get whichever one length wise helps you out more.

14. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I mean if both are 6 feet of cable, one a 3 ft USB extension combined w the 3 ft factory cable the other all one piece but aftermarket, which is faster?

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Guess you would need to put a Volt/ohm meter on them to find out for sure. If your using a shielded cable, I think the voltage drop is negligible and won't make a difference.

16. laughjimbo

laughjimbo Member
    Bronze

I use both original lead and I have also got a 2m and 3m leads, I use the 2m lead for tethering my iPhone to MacBook pro as I sometimes want to charge my iPhone whilst using Mac and I need the slightly longer lead as I use it is a lorry and want my phone up on the dash out of the way. I use the longer lead for charging my iPad and iPhone and have compared the charging times to standard length lead and both have been about the same. No problems using them in the past for syncing either.

Laughjimbo

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app