Does iTunes backup my iPhone contacts when syncing?

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
is there a way to back up the contacts on the iPhone. for me i entered all my contacts by hand via the phone. is there a way to back that info up? i don't think iTunes backs up contact data.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
You sure? I dunno why people on these boards say no and then others yes..
Let me clarify...

iTunes allows you to Sync your Contacts to a host computer, via the Sync set-up screens.

This data is then stored on your computer should you ever loose it on your iPhone - and can hence be re-synced when the iPhone is next connected.

Syncing Contact Information from your Computer
If you’ve set up iTunes to sync contacts, iTunes automatically keeps your contacts up-
to-date—whether you make changes on your computer or on iPhone. iTunes supports
syncing with the following applications on your computer.
On a Mac: Mac OS X Address Book, Microsoft Entourage, and Yahoo! Address Book
On a PC: Yahoo! Address Book, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), and
Microsoft Outlook

Techydood

Jul 24, 2007
Let me clarify...

iTunes allows you to Sync your Contacts to a host computer, via the Sync set-up screens.

This data is then stored on your computer should you ever loose it on your iPhone - and can hence be re-synced when the iPhone is next connected.
Ok then riddle me this

I had contacts I had put into my iPhone. I then synced with Outlook which currently had no contacts stored in the account. It SHOULD have put the contacts that were on the phone into outlook. But it didn't, instead it removed all my contacts on my iPhone.

Anyone else had this happen to them or am I the only lucky guy out there?

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Ok then riddle me this

I had contacts I had put into my iPhone. I then synced with Outlook which currently had no contacts stored in the account. It SHOULD have put the contacts that were on the phone into outlook. But it didn't, instead it removed all my contacts on my iPhone.

Anyone else had this happen to them or am I the only lucky guy out there?
This exact thing happened to me AFTER a Genius Bar rep told me it wouldn't delete anything! I lost ~275 of my 300 contacts. All old contacts disappeared, only ~25 that I entered completely on the iPhone remained. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a program to back up the iPhone outside of iTunes, and without Outlook. I have many custom labels that don't exist in Outlook and the syncs don't match. I would pay $100 for an outside program that works SAFELY and lets me have more control than Apple products, which seem to have little faith in the computer abilities of their products' users. (If it would actually move my bookmarks onto my iPhone, I'd pay another $100 - iTunes doesn't sync my bookmarks either...) I'm using XP Pro SP2 with Full Office 2003. Nothing syncs but my music and photos.

I had originally been using a Windows PC with my iPhone. I then bought a Mac and decided I wanted to use it with my phone from now on. Doing this was a breeze, it let me simply merge everything I currently had on the phone with what I already had on the Mac so I didn't lose anything. It loaded all my contacts to my address book on my Mac and added all my outlook events to my iCal.

For you it should have added everything to your Outlook, I am wondering if you didn't check all the settings before you sinced in iTunes.

iTunes does back everything up. To verify this, I restored my iPhone on Tuesday meaning, I had iTunes, erase everything and the reset the phone to factory specs. It then reactivated my phone and asked me if I wanted to use my last backup for my phone, I selected that and all my contacts and SMS and calander events were back on my phone.

Techydood

Jul 24, 2007
You need to be careful which way you sync... so you don't delete your data.
care to be a little more specific.

I found an article about the custom labels thing and how Apple is saying it can cause a "glitch" (what an understatement). So I understand it deleting contacts that had custom labels. But out of 40 contacts I had put into my phone only 2 or 3 had custom labels. The rest were standard name and number with either home,mobile,work labels. Why were those deleted then?

And I am not an iTunes nor mac expert, im very much a novice to those products. I didn't see a lot of options on the contacts sync So it could be some setting I overlooked. So correct, Id love to be wrong here (whatever as long as this doesn't happen again :laugh2: )