Does JB slow down your phone?

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I am really interested in JBing my 3G S when it comes available but does it mess with performance? I love how fast my 3G S is moving and I really don't want to hinder that.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Some people have reported that Jailbreaking has slowed their phone down a little. I've noticed a little more lag then usual after doing mine 3G

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It modifies the firmware on the phone and adds more stuff then it's supposed to have so it makes sense that there would be a speed difference (even if its minimal).
The last time I jailbroke was on 1.1.4 and I did notice it being slower and crashing (phone would reboot by itself once a month).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Jailbreaking used to be flawless, but the new method that has existed >2.0 seems to always cause lag for me. Frankly, I'm not sure how people are doing it that claim to have zero lag. I think they're just not as sensitive to it, but I could be wrong.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Never had anything below 2.2 to play with, wish I could compare them. But my 3G was running pretty smooth this morning, and I did the jailbreak about an hour ago, VERY noticeable difference in the speed of it.

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah you see, I absolutely love the way my 3G S is running, when I want it do something... it does it

I'm not sure jailbreaking it would be worth it for me. I just jailbroke my v1 and I haven't had a jailbroken phone since back when I first got that phone... most of the good apps seem to be a pay for service now anyways? It was asking me for a donation just to dowload the "free" aps as well. I think I must be missing out on something... I need it for my v1 so my sister can use it... but I'm not seeing a major reason to jailbreak my new 3G S

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Jailbreaking slows down bootup and the opening of apps. I would have to restart my phone at least once a day. Sometimes I would literally wait about 6 seconds for an app to open. Still I couldn't complain cause I was able to have my phone the way I wanted.

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Jailbreaking slows down bootup and the opening of apps. I would have to restart my phone at least once a day. Sometimes I would literally wait about 6 seconds for an app to open. Still I couldn't complain cause I was able to have my phone the way I wanted.
I think I've been convinced... I'll leave the jailbreaking for just my v1 haha. Thanks

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've noticed a bit of a slow down with the new 3.0 jailbreak for the 3G. Nothing more than usual though. I like to have my iPhone look and sound different than everyone else's so it's worth it to me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm am reminiscing on my 1.1.4 ZiPhone jailbreak. I know there was a lot of controversy surrounding that particular program, but that was a solid jailbreak. Best of both worlds without consequence... there was zero lag. Things definitely changed post-2.0

Jul 23, 2007
my JB'd 3.0 slowed greatly with the installation of winterboard for me. the JB didn't noticeably slow anything.

the main reason I would JB a 3gs at this point would be to theme it with winterboard, so...

Revs9k01

Jul 2, 2007
Can anyone tell me if it's actually worth it to JB a 3G now that we have 3.0? I mean I never really thought about JB'ing my 3G but I have been throwing around the idea of doing it lately. Can anyone tell me what the biggest upgrades are to JB'ing?

Someone told me that they could supposedly go to the AppStore and grab any App they wanted to for free because once they JB their iPhone they had an additional link under the apps which would redirect you to somewhere you could get it for free. Is this true? Sounds like BS............

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I honestly never noticed any lag on my 3G. I used Winterboard and serveral JB apps. I always restored to factory settings in between FW updates and ran the phone stock just to see if there was a difference, but I never noticed one.

Revs, the pros still outweigh the cons for me. I use it for SBSettings toggles, theming, live video streaming, saving youtube videos, lyrics for iPod, rotation lock, tethering, live weather icon, and video ringtones.

There are many free apps in Cydia, just like there are in the app store. What you are referring to though, is cracked apps, and that is not something that I partake in. And just so you know, discussing it is against forum policy.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
after having been jailbroken on 2.2 and just recently upgrading to 3.0, i definitely noticed a speed increase especially from opening and closing apps

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Jailbreaking used to be flawless, but the new method that has existed >2.0 seems to always cause lag for me. Frankly, I'm not sure how people are doing it that claim to have zero lag. I think they're just not as sensitive to it, but I could be wrong.

I'd have to completely agree with this post.

Though I will say, despite the fact that it can get rather annoying, the lag has never been enough to deter me from continuing to JB.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Every update the dev team has to find a new hole to inject their code into so some firmware will be worse to JB then others.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
the biggest lag for me is moving my icons around the springboard. WOW that is bad i have to move and hold for seconds before the icon follows.....:(

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
for me is... slow after I reboot....
from the state after all the icons shows up... to start working...

other than that....

it might lag a bit, but it's totally do-able for me.

After I updated to FW3.0, I was on stock for a while, and all my other friends who are also iPhone user... it does get annoying when everyone's text tone are same... (well, they have like 4 different ring tones for texts..?)..

We were all like... looking at own phone to see who actually got the text.. (LOL).

That's when I thought I have to JB again!

Also, I kept swiping top bar to try to get SBsetting while I was on stock.. LOL