Does Mac Mail Do Folders?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hugely dumb question, but I just switched to a Mac 2 days ago so ...
I can't seem to find a way to create folders in the Mac mail application. Can anybody clue me in on how to?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
In the mail app, go to Mailbox-New Mailbox. You will get a drop down where you can name it. That's it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow, cool. I was thinking of mailbox in the Outlook sort of way, as an account.

Mailboxes / folders created that way will be get backed up if you manually copy the /Mail folder I take it (as with messages)?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Wow, cool. I was thinking of mailbox in the Outlook sort of way, as an account.

Mailboxes / folders created that way will be get backed up if you manually copy the /Mail folder I take it (as with messages)?
Nevermind...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Hugely dumb question, but I just switched to a Mac 2 days ago so ...
I can't seem to find a way to create folders in the Mac mail application. Can anybody clue me in on how to?
I have been wondering the same thing and thinking "The Outlook Way" instead of "Thinking Different!" :laugh2:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
it's kind of funny, it is actually easier to do things such as creating a mailbox on the mac but because we are used to doing things the microsoft way, it seems more difficult or confusing because we are not used to things being so simple.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
it's kind of funny, it is actually easier to do things such as creating a mailbox on the mac but because we are used to doing things the microsoft way, it seems more difficult or confusing because we are not used to things being so simple.
Yup, seems like 'terminology memory' may be a little like muscle memory. I am loving the MacBook in spite of my feeble brain's faulty muscle memory though :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i'm still getting used to cmd+[a, c, z, etc] as opposed to ctrl...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, i'm still getting used to cmd+[a, c, z, etc] as opposed to ctrl...
Same here - amazing that you seem to have so much 'muscle memory' or whatever the right term is - I am forever failing to paste something on first try because of the command key's position. Same with command-tab to switch between running apps. But I am getting quite used to control-arrow keys o switch between Spaces ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Same here - amazing that you seem to have so much 'muscle memory' or whatever the right term is - I am forever failing to paste something on first try because of the command key's position. Same with command-tab to switch between running apps. But I am getting quite used to control-arrow keys o switch between Spaces ...
i found an interesting trick... i have an extra button on my bluetooth mouse that i assigned to the "all windows" command (in expose'), which squeezes all the windows you have open, so you can see all of them, and then pick which one you want to go to. It's not exactly the same as cmd+tab ("hidden" apps won't appear), but it does look cool... and is handy to have on your mouse.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
i found an interesting trick... i have an extra button on my bluetooth mouse that i assigned to the "all windows" command (in expose'), which squeezes all the windows you have open, so you can see all of them, and then pick which one you want to go to. It's not exactly the same as cmd+tab ("hidden" apps won't appear), but it does look cool... and is handy to have on your mouse.

Sounds cool. Right now I'm just using the track-pad. Maybe I'll grab a mouse at some point ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
speaking of the trackpad... one thing that was VERY easy to get used to (and quite possibly my favorite feature of my mac... as simple as it is) is the TWO FINGER SCROLLING. it's so natural! and convenient!

when i work on other laptops at work now, i try to do this, and i ask, why doesn't everyone do this? Probably a patent, i guess...