Does MobileMe support NON "...@me.com" email addresses?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I would suggest he check with his IT staff before switching to IMAP
well of course... unless you want the IT guys on your case... You would need to check with them anyway for the proper settings... just because a server is listening and responding for imap requests doesn't mean it will authenticate you... or even if your quota is enough to store messages on the server.

that said, if you use more than one computer or need to access your e-mail anywhere, it's hard not to use imap. it's certainly made my life easier.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Will there be an option to send from? in mobile me as there is in gmail?
Somehow I doubt it; that's what has kept me using Gmail for the last year, even though I'd prefer to integrate .mac with the rest of the service I use (backups, sync, web stuff). It has been GREAT being able have Gmail grab all my various POP accounts, and even reply AS those accounts, all from one web interface. Awesome.

Steve13

Jun 28, 2008
Somehow I doubt it; that's what has kept me using Gmail for the last year, even though I'd prefer to integrate .mac with the rest of the service I use (backups, sync, web stuff). It has been GREAT being able have Gmail grab all my various POP accounts, and even reply AS those accounts, all from one web interface. Awesome.
The thing that kept me from using gmail to manage my other email accounts is that it always sends emails "on behalf of" rather than from my actual third party account. In other words, if I'm using the gmail web interface, I can select which account to send fromm (the gmail account or a third party account, like from my domain). It handles those just fine. However, if I use my iPhone or Outlook to respond to message I picked up via IMAP through gmail, the sent from line will say something like From steve@gmail.com on behalf of Steve@mydomain.com. So the people I'm sending to know that it's going through gmail and not through my domain name email servers (which don't do IMAP).

If Mobile Me can solve this problem, I'd jump on board in a heartbeat!

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
The thing that kept me from using gmail to manage my other email accounts is that it always sends emails "on behalf of" rather than from my actual third party account. In other words, if I'm using the gmail web interface, I can select which account to send fromm (the gmail account or a third party account, like from my domain). It handles those just fine. However, if I use my iPhone or Outlook to respond to message I picked up via IMAP through gmail, the sent from line will say something like From steve@gmail.com on behalf of Steve@mydomain.com. So the people I'm sending to know that it's going through gmail and not through my domain name email servers (which don't do IMAP).

If Mobile Me can solve this problem, I'd jump on board in a heartbeat!
I agree completely. Unfortunately, I highly suspect that any message that we reply to will go out as our "me.com" address, at least from the iPhone.

It seems to me that on Apple Mail (and maybe Outlook--it's been so long since I used it that I don't remember how it works), when you reply to an email, you can choose the email address that you want to use to send the reply. But I can't imagine how they would work on the iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree completely. Unfortunately, I highly suspect that any message that we reply to will go out as our "me.com" address, at least from the iPhone.

It seems to me that on Apple Mail (and maybe Outlook--it's been so long since I used it that I don't remember how it works), when you reply to an email, you can choose the email address that you want to use to send the reply. But I can't imagine how they would work on the iPhone.
Yes, but only for accounts that you have set up as either an IMAP or POP. In my instance, I simply forward a number of accounts to my Gmail account. So, in theory, there is no IMAP or POP associated with said account. It really is more of an alias, except to the sender.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
MobileMe is just an IMAP server. So...you setup the email address you like to forward all email to your @me.com address. Within MobileMe, you setup an "alias" that will make all of the email you send from your @me.com address look like you've sent it from the email address you want to keep. You basically use MobileMe as a "clearinghouse" for your other email account.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
MobileMe is just an IMAP server. So...you setup the email address you like to forward all email to your @me.com address. Within MobileMe, you setup an "alias" that will make all of the email you send from your @me.com address look like you've sent it from the email address you want to keep. You basically use MobileMe as a "clearinghouse" for your other email account.
can you describe exactly how this is set up. I would very tempted to use mobile me if I was 100% certain this would work. But my. Confidence in Apple has been rocked lately and I don't want to fork out more money to them without knowing for certain that people can send me email to gmail and receive as if it's coming from my gmail.

Jul 12, 2008
It appears that the only "alias" you can setup in MobileMe is another "xxx@me.com". It doesn't appear like you can set up an alias of "xxx@mydomain.com" on MobileMe.

I may be mistaken, as I am still on the free trial and all options are not open, but the examples they give for alias' all end with the @me.com domain

Jul 12, 2008
I even went so far as to disable smtp.me.com (or whatever mobileme uses as an outgoing server) and used my personal domain SMTP as outgoing and it still showed up as an @me.com sender on any reply I sent.

Not looking good for those of use who want to forward to MobileMe for the push ability and reply back spoofing an @domain.com address.

Jul 12, 2008
I think I actually figured out how to do this...but its not as useful as it may seem, when the workaround is considered.

1) My Domain Email :

a: My domain.com email is forwarded to my mobileme account

2) iPhone Setup

a: MobileMe is checking Mail (and the other options, but those arent important)

b: I have the same POP domain.com email address that is forwarded to the MobileMe account configured on the iPhone as you typically would (setup as "Other Account")

NOTE: If you don't have option B, or the mail account is inactive...the FROM option will not work.

3) How to "Reply As" from MobileMe

a: When an email is sent to my domain.com email, its forwarded to my MobileMe account

b: The iPhone tells me when my mail has arrived via the MobileMe PUSH feature (anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes)

*** Here is where things get redundant ***

Because the same pop account is configured on the iPhone, as soon as you go into Mail to check your MobileMe account, it checks the redundant POP account and you get the same mail that was forwarded to your MobileMe account. However, it must be active to Reply As

c: Go into MobileMe and reply to the email. Touch the CC/BCC, From: field (it appears to be greyed out, but it CAN be selected)...and click the From area, a selection wheel will then come up allowing you to select to SEND via a different account.

Now, being that the POP account is also configured on the iPhone, you already know you have email via the MobileMe alert you already received. So, this isn't really all that useful, but it can be used as an impromptu alert you have mail in your regular POP or IMAP account before that account Fetches at its scheduled interval. So you can either change the FROM area in the MobileMe reply, or reply directly from the POP/IMAP account.

The problem with doing it this way is that you basically have 2 copies of every email you receive, one in MobileMe and one in the actual POP or IMAP email account inbox.

It really shouldn't be this difficult to get PUSH emails, and reply as a non @me.com / @yahoo.com address. This workaround is essentially a roundabout way of being alerted your non push IMAP / POP account has mail via the MobileMe mail alert.

cdgarcia87

Bronze
Jun 14, 2008
i probably missed it somewhere in this thread.. but how exactly would you forward a pop/imap account to a .me address?
i just purchased mobileme today and i'm having loads of fun with it!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
In your mobileme account you can go under preferences then other, there it has a place to set up to receive email from your other email addresses. I set up my gmail so I can check both at me.com. Any email you send out though will be your @me.com address.

Jul 12, 2008
That's the way I understand it. The issue for me is not being able to respond using my other email addresses; everything is sent from up10ad@me.com. ARRRGH

If it was really 'Exchange for the rest of us', it would address this issue.
You can reply from other addresses, that account just has to be active on the iPhone to appear in the "From:" drop down when you are replying to an email. If the account is active and is set to Manual Fetch, you wont get the redundant problem I mentioned above since the phone wont grab the email from that account until you actually go into it.

Go reply to an email forwarded to your MobileMe account via your main POP account and hit the From section, it should give you a drop down to select an account to send the reply from, IF you have more than the MobileMe account active on the phone.

This certainly isn't the ideal or most user friendly method to get "reply as" working, but its all we have for now I suppose

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Thanks for the clarification COD. I see how that works now, allows using any FROM address on the iPhone. But I really don't see any advantage for me since my other email accounts are all IMAP, and push to the iPhone anyway.

If I do the forwarding of my other email addresses to MobileMe, does MobileMe online also offer me the option to send replies FROM the other email addresses? That might be an advantage if I didn't have my iPhone wih me I guess.

Jul 1, 2007
I used to forward my gmail to my work address on my blackberry. That worked no problem. The only issue for me is what you do when you want to respond to the forwarded emails. Then your returning email from .mac/mobile me. Will there be an option to send from? in mobile me as there is in gmail?
There was this option in a drop down list on .mac so I expect it to be so on MobileMe