Does MobileMe support NON "...@me.com" email addresses?

Jul 12, 2008
OK, I think I finally have this working where its no longer redundant, AND you don't have to use the drop down list to "REPLY AS". Here is what I did

* I would suggest deleting all email accounts off your phone so you can start from scratch, but its not necassary *

GMAIL

1) Create a dummy address at GMAIL. For reference I created "cakeordeathpush@gmail.com".

Inside the Settings for cakeordeathpush@gmail.com you have to change the following:

2) In FORWARDING and POP/IMAP section do the following

• forward all mail on the dummy account to your MobileMe (cakeordeath@me.com) account
  • enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
  • enable IMAP

3) In the ACCOUNTS section do the following (in the "Send Mail As" sub-section)

• add and verify the account you want clients to see as the sending or replying email address (the one in the domain.com email step noted below)
  • set that account as the default "send as" account
  • set gmail to "always reply from my default address"

DOMAIN.COM Email

1) Forward your wanted "reply as" address to your dummy gmail account (NOT your MobileMe account)

iPHONE

MobileMe Setup 1st Step

• Setup and configure your MobileMe account as you normally would

Gmail Setup

• Setup and configure your dummy GMAIL account as you normally would.
  • Once you verify the GMAIL account, DISABLE IT

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

• Go BACK into your MobileMe account (Settings > Mail, Calendar etc > Mobile Me > Account Info > Outgoing Mail Server
  • DISABLE the outgoing server SMTP.ME.COM

• Now, in the list of "Other SMTP Servers" you should see smtp.gmail.com (since you set up the dummy gmail account on the iPhone above..yes it CAN be disabled) , ENABLE this as the outgoing server on the MobileMe account, and MAKE SURE ITS THE ONLY SMTP SERVER ACTIVE
If done correctly, the address your recipients will see is the one you setup as the default "send as" in your dummy gmail account.

I have tested this and my replies now say exactly what I want them to say, no mention of @me.com or @gmail.com as the replying address.

Good Luck
CoD

Jan 29, 2007
well got this

well when I did your suggestion it does work...but when I send a test to my outlook work account I got this in the header:

SurfCityEd [myholdingaccount@gmail.com]; on behalf of; SurfCityEd [ed@p****.com]

where p****.com is my domain name....

so it still shows gmail in some ways.

Jul 12, 2008
well when I did your suggestion it does work...but when I send a test to my outlook work account I got this in the header:

SurfCityEd [myholdingaccount@gmail.com]; on behalf of; SurfCityEd [ed@p****.com]

where p****.com is my domain name....

so it still shows gmail in some ways.
Guhh, thats what I get for checking email in webmail and not Outlook...I get the same now that I have checked outlook...oh well

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
So say I have gmail and I want to purchase mobileme, I currently don't have anything being forwarded to my gmail account. So if I buy mobileme I can have gmail forwarded to it, and then pushed right to my iPhone correct?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
So say I have gmail and I want to purchase mobileme, I currently don't have anything being forwarded to my gmail account. So if I buy mobileme I can have gmail forwarded to it, and then pushed right to my iPhone correct?
Yes, exactly. But you will not be able to reply from mobileme using your Gmail alias. It will look like it's coming from your @me email address

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Although I'm currently using MobileMe and it's working ok for now, I'm interested in getting an Exchange account. So how do I go about this? Do they offer Exchange to individuals, is it costly. Where can I find it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Although I'm currently using MobileMe and it's working ok for now, I'm interested in getting an Exchange account. So how do I go about this? Do they offer Exchange to individuals, is it costly. Where can I find it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
nuevasync.com

Lets you sync everything through exchange for free.

davpel

Jun 22, 2007
Yes, exactly. But you will not be able to reply from mobileme using your Gmail alias. It will look like it's coming from your @me email address
No, you CAN make replies look like they are coming from gmail. Just set up a new SMTP server (not an e-mail account) on the iPhone, deactivate the MobileMe SMTP server, make the gmail one your primary outgoing server and you are all set.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Switching the outgoing SMTP to your domain.com outging server makes the email look like it is coming from your computer. That was my issue and davpel is right. No one can tell the difference (unless you leave the "sent from my iPhone" on the signature.

I also set mine to BCC me on my responses as that was my secondary issue, keeping records of what I responded to work emails with since I was answering from my iPhone and my Outlook would not have it in the sent folder.

I almost think I might not need the MobileMe.

The only drawback, when I go back to my computer, and Outlook checks my mail, all those messages I read on my iPhone appear unread requiring me to mark them as read.

With Gmail, messages read on the iPhone appear read in the gmail web browser inbox. However, if you have your computer email program (Outlook in my case) and it checks the gmail, they will appear unread in your email program.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
No, you CAN make replies look like they are coming from gmail. Just set up a new SMTP server (not an e-mail account) on the iPhone, deactivate the MobileMe SMTP server, make the gmail one your primary outgoing server and you are all set.
Could you please write a more detailed explanation for the non geeky (like me)?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Go to Settings
Mail
Pick the email account you are using
scroll the screen down and find the "Outgoing Mail Server"
press the SMTP
select each smtp server and mark OFF except for the one that is the email that you want to show in your reply

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I have read through the thread and still cant gather if mobile me truly supports non mobile me addresses. Sorry to appear so stupid but this moby me stuff is new.

Here's a suggestion I have that might help a little for those users who primarily use their phone to reply to emails?
First
Forward all emails from gmail (other account) to mobile me.
Make sure your gmail (other) account is set up on the iPhone

Ok now that your emails are going to gmail and then mobile me you should receive push notification on your iPhone. If you open the email from your mobile me account on your iPhone and want to respond as if its coming from gmail. Just press reply and when the reply message comes up press the 'from box'...then select your gmail account to reply from. The recipient will receive the message from the address chosen.

I know this is only an iPhone work around but for me that's where I respond to the majority of my emails from. Its no seemless but its not difficult either.

tonybish

Jun 17, 2009
Here's really simple solution to the non @me.com address problem

I wandered around this one for a while and eventually went for this relatively simple solution

1. Redirect all incoming mail for your non @me.com addresses to your @me.com account
2. Sign up for a basic account with AuthSMTP.com - cost is only 20$ [£14] per year.
3. Add all your non @me.com addresses to the authorised address section in your AuthSMTP account
4. Add your non @me.com addresses into the email address box in Mail > Prefs > Accounts. Separate each with a comma
5. Add the AuthSMTP server to the outgoing server list and select as the default server

From that point sending an email from any of the non @me.com addresses by selecting it in the 'From' drop-down list

As the meerkat says.....Simples!

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Tony

Does the recipient see the from on the email as being from the non me.com address?

Gmail lets you do the forward and send from your other address, but it says "onbehalf of xxx@x.com by gmail" or something.

Here is where my big thing is, I have had my non me address for YEARS. Thus, it gets more damn spam and junk. However, Outlook does a damn good job of filtering that all out before it gets to my inbox. So when I open Outlook, I only see the real mail. All the junk is gone (I believe a lot has to do with me doing the old right click "block sender" for the little bit that gets through).

On the iPhone, when I let it receive the email from my non me address, I get tons of spam and junk as it has not gone through the outlook filter.

Is there a work around for that? It is not worth having to clean out the junk on my iPhone. I would guess having outlook forward might work, but I do want the trail of having the email in Outlook for reference. Sometimes a quick response happens on the iPhone and then I do a more detailed one when I get back to the office from Outlook.

tonybish

Jun 17, 2009
Yep, all you see is the non @me.com address

As for Spam, all I do is adjust the spam filtering at the ISPs for my non @me.com addresses. Not ideal but seems to keep back the deluge.

tonybish

Jun 17, 2009
..............and I've also got it working on the iPhone too!

Set up a new account as type "Other"
Name and address should be as it needs to be for your non @me.com address
Incoming mail server is same as for your @me.com account
Outgoing server is the AuthSMTP server [see earlier post]
Once set up, you need to go back into the settings to adjust the Outgoing Server parameters to the ones for AuthSMTP [MD5 Challenge Response / Port 2525]

What you end up with is a number of identical inboxes on your iPhone - 1 for @me.com and 1 for each non @me.com address set up. You just have to remember to be in the correct inbox when replying.

Simples!:cool:

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Tony - I think you can touch the "FROM:" field on any email and select which account you want the email to send from. Regardless of which inbox you are in. When I touch FROM i get a scroll of the 3 email inbox's that I have set up on my iPhone.

clerici79

Feb 25, 2008
Tony - I think you can touch the "FROM:" field on any email and select which account you want the email to send from. Regardless of which inbox you are in. When I touch FROM i get a scroll of the 3 email inbox's that I have set up on my iPhone.
This is exactly correct. Just remember that you have to have your other email accounts active in the iPhone or you won't even get the option for the pull down menu to reply/send it from your other email address(es).

C

CaliforniaMike

I investigated this sort of thing recently because I have my own Domain too. And an iPhone, macbook and imac. GoogleAps was free and worked really well. I did actually pay for instructions on how to do this. I bought an eBook for about 15 bucks at REMOVED SPAMMY WEBSITE and it did save me a lot of time trying to figure out all the angles. It really is awesome to have all 3 computers with the same email completely in sync all the time. Especially the sent mail.