Does restore actually restore?

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
I jailbroke my phone that was on 1.1.3 with ZiPhone about a month ago. I restored it soon after because I wasn't seeing the awesome benefits everyone else did. So long story short, I upgraded to 1.1.4 and rejailbroke with ZiPhone 2.5c because my buddy told me to check out some of the awesome apps on it.

The reason I am asking your advice is because when I installed Summerboard a month later, all my settings were the same. All my icon titles were still hidden and stuff like that. I was under the impression that a restore took care of all that stuff and put it back to stock. But if that's true how could Summerboard have remembered my settings?

And furthermore wouldn't Apple be able to detect a previous jailbreak if I sent it in?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
you can ssh into the phone and put everything back to normal. if you really wanted too. when it comes down to it, if you worked at it a little they wouldn't be able to tell.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The reason your settings were the same is because preferences are backed up in iTunes. This means that when you restored from your backup in iTunes, those preferences were put back on the phone, but they just didn't do anything. To prevent this from happening again, restore again, and when it s done, go into iTunes Preferences, click the iPhone tab, and delete your backup. Re-dock the iPhone.

- John

Aug 28, 2007
its because when you finished restoring you didn't set it up as a new iPhone but you backed up your old settings.

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
The reason your settings were the same is because preferences are backed up in iTunes. This means that when you restored from your backup in iTunes, those preferences were put back on the phone, but they just didn't do anything. To prevent this from happening again, restore again, and when it s done, go into iTunes Preferences, click the iPhone tab, and delete your backup. Re-dock the iPhone.

- John
Ok so, if I restore and choose set up as new phone, can I still get my contacts back onto the phone? Or will I have to reenter all of them?