Does Siri recognize voices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bams50, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I'm getting my wife her first iPhone for Christmas. I'll have it a couple weeks early, added to my AT&T plan. Can I play with it in the meantime, i.e. experiment with Siri, or does it require setup and will thereforee only recognize the first user?

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

It does adapt to an accent I believe, but I think you should be fine having a play around with it. Just don't set it up to call the user by your name ;) if I were you, I wouldn't play with it at all. Women ;)

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

No, it'll work with anyone that uses it... It'll even pick up voices in crowded places, or from a TV and come up with some odd stuff.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

4. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the answers. This will be her first iPhone, but she's very familiar with my 3gs. She thinks I don't know she has always wanted one:)

I'm debating whether to go to a 4S myself or wait for whatever/whenever the next version is. I feel like if I can spend a little time with a 4s actually in my hands it will help me finally decide. Just didn't want to mess something up for her...

As a side note: My local AT&T stores all say I have to order one. My usual guy at my normal store told me to go to the Apple store in the same mall and ask. I did so, and they not only had the white 16 in stock, they did not anticipate any problem with availability from here forward.

So I told the girl I wanted it for Christmas, but I wanted it ready to work on Christmas morning; yet it couldn't affect her current phone till then (surprise factor). She told me there was no way to do that, and I should wrap up a picture of an iPhone and give that! Dumbest idea ever, since this is her main gift! She said my only alternative was to set it up with my spare line and she'd have to change her number...

Well, I went back to my AT&T guy, who had the simple solution: Activate it with the extra line for Christmas, then just come in and have her number ported to the iPhone afterward. Simple as pie!

Just shows, sales people vary in quality...;)

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

You should be able to call AT&T morning of Xmas or that night when she is sleeping and get the number changed to the new phone.

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

If you activate it with an extra line, will you be stuck with it for the duration of the term?

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I already have the line as a backup for when I send an employee somewhere, so it doesn't matter.