Does 'Stopwatch' run in the background when you 'home' it?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I was using the phone a few weeks ago as a stopwatch for running.

I felt like using the GPS for a bit to see how accurate it would be on my trail.

So I am curious as to whether or not the stopwatch actually runs in the background while in another app?

I think so because even in Airplane mode the stopwatch works which means it doesn't use cell towers to estimate elapsed time when you close and then reopen stopwatch. Or is the stopwatch actually completely shutdown, and then elapsed time synced with the phone's system clock?

I know Apple has stated that they don't love the idea of background processes.

So, any thoughts?

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I was using the phone a few weeks ago as a stopwatch for running.

I felt like using the GPS for a bit to see how accurate it would be on my trail.

So I am curious as to whether or not the stopwatch actually runs in the background while in another app?

I think so because even in Airplane mode the stopwatch works which means it doesn't use cell towers to estimate elapsed time when you close and then reopen stopwatch. Or is the stopwatch actually completely shutdown, and then elapsed time synced with the phone's system clock?

I know Apple has stated that they don't love the idea of background processes.

So, any thoughts?

no all it does when u start it it saves a time it was started and next time you open it it loads the time it has been off of that saved time.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Yes the Stopwatch stays on while in other apps. Hit the start button and then leave the app. Come back a few minutes later and it should still be running. I use it on my runs all the time.