Does syncing two playlists copy songs twice if they appear in both?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I'm new to the iPod (specifically, I have the iPhone 3G) and have a question about playlists.

Let's say I have 100 songs on my PC and I sync them all to my iPhone. Let's say I create two playlists on my PC from these 100 songs Both playlists are Smart Playlists. Playlist A contains 75 songs, Playlist B contains 50 songs. I choose only these two playlists to sync to my iPhone...

I'm still only sync'ing/copying 100 songs to my iPhone, right? No more, yes?

The reason I'm asking is that I have about 3 GB of songs. That, along with everything else on my iPhone, leaves me with about 10 GB free. I just created three Smart Playlists and it is currently sync'ing to my iPhone. My free space is now down to 7.5 GB is dropping as the sync continues.

Any insight on playlists would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm new to the iPod (specifically, I have the iPhone 3G) and have a question about playlists.

Let's say I have 100 songs on my PC and I sync them all to my iPhone. Let's say I create two playlists on my PC from these 100 songs Both playlists are Smart Playlists. Playlist A contains 75 songs, Playlist B contains 50 songs. I choose only these two playlists to sync to my iPhone...

I'm still only sync'ing/copying 100 songs to my iPhone, right? No more, yes?

The reason I'm asking is that I have about 3 GB of songs. That, along with everything else on my iPhone, leaves me with about 10 GB free. I just created three Smart Playlists and it is currently sync'ing to my iPhone. My free space is now down to 7.5 GB is dropping as the sync continues.

Any insight on playlists would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
yes, you are correct. You can have a bunch o'playlists, but it won't sync more copies of the same song to yer phone.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Correct, you're only syncing the total number of unique songs in those playlists. You can have one song in eight different playlists but it is still just using one copy of that particular song.

Apr 19, 2010
The playlists that I created will no longer sync. Is this something new or did I do something wrong? I only see the smart playlists in my music playlist for syncing.