Does the iPad 3 retina display blow you away?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I went from an iPad 1 to the new iPad and I feel I would have noticed a bigger difference a few months ago. Back then it didn't seem like my iPad 1 could run anything for more than a few minutes without quitting. I had given up on even getting Infinity Blade to run again.

But after I ordered the iPad 3 I tried Infinity Blade on my iPad 1... first time doing so on 5.1. Sure enough it worked. Other apps seemed to not crash nearly enough as much (what was I thinking with enough?!) either. Since I was getting an iPad 3 I went ahead and bought Infinity Blade II--and amazingly it ran fine on my iPad 1. With only 256MB RAM. Wow.

So even an iPad 1 has some life left in it. Probably not too much as apps switch focus to the iPad 3, but I am surprised how well my iPad 1 is holding up. So while I do love my iPad 3 I can't say it has blown me away--even coming from an iPad 1. Of course my iPad 1 is jailbroken and runs XBMC so maybe that is it.

Michael

Reactions: Bennyboy

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
So irritating forum rules stop me from expressing how I feel.
Thank god it's not like that in real life, I would've hanged my self a long time ago.

Reactions: RoofMonkey

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Well I did not get one. I have other priorities at the moment. Me and son are waiting for the new iPhones this summer (once we moved) and then maybe Santa has one in his bag (unless new iPad4 rumors have me wait for 3or 4 more month).

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
This is my first iPad, but not my first tablet. I've had the Windows Tablet PC and just came from the Galaxy Tab. Of them all, the iPad is the coolest and the most user-friendly of those.

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
This is my first iPad, but not my first tablet. I've had the Windows Tablet PC and just came from the Galaxy Tab. Of them all, the iPad is the coolest and the most user-friendly of those.
Aye, I had a Samsung Android tab, an hp touchpad (i thought both were perfectly) fine.....however I can without a doubt say, confirm, profess that this new iPad blows the my other tablets out of the water. The nicest thing is the "lag free" environment. Droid And webos were just constant lag outs.

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
Not worth the $500 more IMO. Would I like it? Yes. But do I think it's really worth it? No.
I couldn't agree more.
Went to look at the new iPad, very excited to see the vaunted new retina display... only to get that 'meh' feeling when I finally saw it. Maybe the sample photo that they had loaded in it was of low quality to begin with, but I felt that the improvement in resolution was unequivocally NOT worth spending that kind of money.

I can see being impressed with it if I was new to iPad. But I have an iPad 2, and this new iPad ... well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Reactions: Axne1 and fijiman

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
Of I had an iPad 2 I probably wouldn't have bought new one, luckily I didn't have an iPad 2 lol.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I actually regret that I returned an iPad 2 when they came out it as it was not "different enough" from my iPad 1.

To me every gram and millimeter counts on a tablet that is held for extended periods of time and in sometimes awkward positions (don't even!). I remember thinking the iPad 2 was "just" light enough to be OK. The iPad 3 has kinda crossed back over that threshold--for me.

Heck the only camera I used was the front one really for facetime. Never used the rear--same with my iPad 3 aside from a few first day test pics.

Maybe I need better glasses or something as the retina display is just not popping out to me like I thought it would. :D

Good gawd I sound like I could return my 3 for 2 (that one was for you Benny).

Michael

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I actually regret that I returned an iPad 2 when they came out it as it was not "different enough" from my iPad 1.

To me every gram and millimeter counts on a tablet that is held for extended periods of time and in sometimes awkward positions (don't even!). I remember thinking the iPad 2 was "just" light enough to be OK. The iPad 3 has kinda crossed back over that threshold--for me.

Heck the only camera I used was the front one really for facetime. Never used the rear--same with my iPad 3 aside from a few first day test pics.

Maybe I need better glasses or something as the retina display is just not popping out to me like I thought it would. :D

Good gawd I sound like I could return my 3 for 2 (that one was for you Benny).

Michael
don't give me wrong, I'm sure I would love the new iPad just as much, if not more, than my current iPad 2, I just can't justify losing over $100 to get a retina display or a better camera (used that once or twice on my iPad 2)
The iPhone is the one I HAVE to have the newest and bestest, everything else is more than plenty for me.
I encourage everyone to get the new iPad if you can afford it, if not, don't go out and basically give away the iPad 2.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
don't give me wrong, I'm sure I would love the new iPad just as much, if not more, than my current iPad 2, I just can't justify losing over $100 to get a retina display or a better camera (used that once or twice on my iPad 2)
The iPhone is the one I HAVE to have the newest and bestest, everything else is more than plenty for me.
I encourage everyone to get the new iPad if you can afford it, if not, don't go out and basically give away the iPad 2.
That's the key thing, if you can AFFORD, to get it.. Go for it. If you have the iPad 2, really think about it first.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Sold my iPad 2 and got the new iPad.. My main reasons for the upgrade:

1. LTE
2. Retina Dsplay
3. More RAM

Well worth the extra money I spent over what I sold my iPad 2 for..

My .02

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Totally worth it.

iPad blows.
me.
away.

I can not express in words just how much better it is. But of course, I'll try my damnedest. It's not just the 4 times the pixels. But the overall clarity. The illusion that there is no longer a screen there, but just whatever I'm looking at. Looking at it on the old iPad (same as with the old iPhone), I could very clearly see the screen door effect, and while it's perfectly normal (I grew up on far lesser screens), it was something that stayed in the back of my mind that was like "yo fury, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but the iPhone 4 has one of the best screens of all time".

I was spoiled by the iPhone 4 display and as soon as I saw it, I was imagining what it'd be like to have a large screen with that kind of clarity. I couldn't imagine, though, the greater sensation of immersion. Being connected to the content instead of looking at the content through a screen.

Especially in the games that have been updated, like Real Racing 2 and Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy. They aren't terrible-looking on the iPad 2, but I feel like I'm more in the experience on the new iPad 3 HD 4G LTE. Not seeing the jaggies makes a huge difference in those games