Does the iPhone have GPS built-in

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 6, 2007
United States
I apologize if this is a newb question :laugh2:, or if there is already a topic on this, but one question came to mind while I watched the calamari ad for the iPhone last night. I was wondering if the iPhone has a built in GPS, because without it, how would it know where you are related to the Google Maps. I can't seem to recall, and I don't feel awake :). Anyone want to help me out here?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I suppose it could use what it knows about you such as your address, or your location such as from the phone network. But I still do hope it has GPS eventually. :)

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
I apologize if this is a newb question :laugh2:, or if there is already a topic on this, but one question came to mind while I watched the calamari ad for the iPhone last night. I was wondering if the iPhone has a built in GPS, because without it, how would it know where you are related to the Google Maps. I can't seem to recall, and I don't feel awake :). Anyone want to help me out here?
GPS is not a feature yet. You punch in your zip code, that's how it knows where you are. But we are waiting for a GPS app, but you would need a sat. antenna for it to work. Maybe an iPhone 2 feature...

May 6, 2007
United States
GPS is not a feature yet. You punch in your zip code, that's how it knows where you are. But we are waiting for a GPS app, but you would need a sat. antenna for it to work. Maybe an iPhone 2 feature...

Ahh. Yeah, I thought of that but wasn't sure. But do you just program your zip code in the beginning or every time or what?

As you can see, this is not my area of expertise :D

Arrakis

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I think you put in your City or Area code/ZIP. And it shows you your city. Like the calamari showed San Fransisco.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Maybe you set a default location similar to how lets say on your YAHOO homepage it displays the weather and temp for you area.

May 6, 2007
United States
Maybe you set a default location similar to how lets say on your YAHOO homepage it displays the weather and temp for you area.
This is possible. I am hoping for something like this so I don't have to input the place I am at every time I use the iPhone.

And another newbish question from me :D. I can't seem to recall if the iPhone mail app will only support Yahoo! push mail or if there will be settings to allow you to get mail from other mail clients on the iPhone. Anyone?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
This is possible. I am hoping for something like this so I don't have to input the place I am at every time I use the iPhone.
im sure its a thing you put in the "settings" part of the phone. so that it knows your local area, and if your not at home, i bet you can quick change it like you can for a widget, maybe it will even flip around to the back of the widget like in the dashboard?

May 6, 2007
United States
im sure its a thing you put in the "settings" part of the phone. so that it knows your local area, and if your not at home, i bet you can quick change it like you can for a widget, maybe it will even flip around to the back of the widget like in the dashboard?
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I guess we will have to wait to know for sure, though. Got anything for my second question?

Lol I know, I am being impatient. That's what happens when it comes to the iPhone and questions about it, I get vicious. :laugh2:

Gonna go to a Cingular/ AT&T store tomorrow and see if I can find out anything new....

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I don't think its a GPS feature... If it did have a GPS system within it - why wouldn't Jobs have introduced it in the keynote? I guess it could be a pleasant surprise "One More Thing..." style, but locations of most cell phones are determined with tower triangulation. This method is getting more and more accurate as the proximity of three towers for any given carrier gets closer and closer. Currently accuracy for cell phone triangulation is up to 100 meters, which would be enough to tell you the closest place.

I'm sure you can still put your zip code in from home to get the time and weather from that location, but what if you're on the move in another state / city?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007

And another newbish question from me :D. I can't seem to recall if the iPhone mail app will only support Yahoo! push mail or if there will be settings to allow you to get mail from other mail clients on the iPhone. Anyone?
i don't know much about push email..... but i would think, if you have a data plan that whenever you connect to the internet to browse, it gets your mail.... or any time you get in a wifi access area it will get your mail.... i don't know enough about email to give you a good answer.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Pretty sure that only Yahoo's push mail will be initially supported, but you can do imap/pop to any other standard mail server.