Does the iPhone need more than 1GB RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by raqball, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Does the iPhone need more RAM?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I get the whole RAM argument. Some same the more RAM used by the system the better and I agree to a point. However, the iPhone skimps in this regard and only offers 1GB.

This is after a fresh reboot of the iPhone 6.

IMG_0002.PNG

IMG_0001.PNG

Does the iPhone need more RAM?

#1 raqball, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Check out my post in iphone 5S for your answer.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1415624501.314816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Trust me I understand how RAM works and I even acknowledge the fact that many will say using more RAM is a good thing..

I think you missed my point, but it's cool..

Sure iOS will do a stellar job of managing the RAM but if you are already close to being maxed out at boot then what happens when you start multi-taking? iOS will shut things down to free up memory for use in the other areas. If the iPhone had more RAM then it would probably not need to shut down these other processes. And it may shut down processes that would have been nice to keep running.

1GB of RAM is paltry in this day and age.

#3 raqball, Nov 10, 2014
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it needs 2 GB of RAM. Safari pages and apps wouldn't have to reload as much. Maybe Safari would be more stable and have fewer bugs if it had more RAM.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm still driving a 5s but I gotta think more RAM would help on this version of the os since it's running many more 64 bit apps now.
    YMMV

6. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i think that's just 1 reason why the iphone doesn't do multitasking. and no that double tapping the home button to get to the running apps is not real multitasking.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They'll keep it that way after they go to 2 GB RAM. They designed it that way to help preserve battery life. It opens back up to the same spot and doesn't drain battery, which is optimal for a lot of us. It's nice to not have to frequently force close running apps to try to save battery life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

well maybe one day apple will be able to fix it's force close and battery drain issues. cause it sure would be nice to do some real mutlitasking now that they have a bigger screen. android does it now without any FC and great battery. so i see no reason why apple is having problems. or maybe they are not having problems but just saving it for a later time who knows. i just wish they had it now.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

1GB of RAM is akin to selling a 16GB model. Clearly, they see the value in RAM, otherwise the iPad Air 2 would also have 1GB of RAM. For one, having more RAM helps with apps like Safari and not having to reload tabs. RAM is the single best investment for computers, so why not on a mobile device.

Having an operating system that manages RAM effectively is not a good enough reason to be stuck at 1GB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

IPad Air 2 owners have reported Safari constantly refreshing, so that problem may be a software issue rather than RAM.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They are doing too much at the same time. Hardware is only as good as the software it runs. My MacBook Pro retina is a powerful machine, but it can't stay online when using WiFi. It's like having a Ferrari with no gas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I agree 100%.

Apple really makes me scratch my head sometimes.. They finally updated the rMBP base model to come with 8GB RAM and this was long overdue in my opinion. 8GB on a modern PC is almost a minimum starting point in my opinion. I know the Macbook Air still comes with 4GB and I don't really know why this is..

The iPad Air 2 now has 2GB of RAM so why did they continue to skimp on the iPhones?

Another head scratcher, as you mentioned, is the 16GB storage option. In my opinion that size should have been scratched and 32GB should have been the new low end.

Maybe the 6S will have 2GB of RAM and a starting storage option of 32GB.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Being the admin and far from trolling, I'll say it. It's about profit margins. Most people buy the most inexpensive new iPhone. The better value is the 64GB or 128GB. Can some people get by with 16GB? Sure, but these phones are meant to just get by. And having storage stuck at 16GB doesn't hurt iCloud Drive upgrades.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

As I assume is the case on the 1GB of RAM thing..

Personally I'd gladly pay an extra $50 for the phone to come with 2GB of RAM and 32GB storage option.

I can get by on 16 but 32 would make me feel more comfortable. 64 and 128 is way more than I'll ever need on a phone but I tend to keep just about everything in the cloud..

15. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

The 1Gb and the price of the 128Gb were among the reasons I almost switched to something other than an iPhone this time.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Android apps that are fully running in the background use some battery power. Apple was trying to avoid that. We've had it on jailbroken phones for years and it wasn't bad, but Apple didn't want any battery drain at all from backgrounded apps. It's negligible if they are frozen, so that's what they went with.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

[Off topic a wee bit]

If I could create the ultimate phone it would be the iPhone design with iOS, slap Androids multi-tasking in there along with 32GB base storage & 2GB of RAM. Then just for good measure sprinkle in a little Windows Phone double tap and Glance features on the top..

Personal assistant? Cortana all the way.. It smokes Siri and Google Now..

Yeah, that phone would rock!

[/Off topic a wee bit]

#17 raqball, Nov 10, 2014
  18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would, too. I wish they had a pro version of the iPhone 6...without having to get a bigger screen. I'd pay extra for more RAM, optical image stabilization and a bigger battery on my 6. I don't need it to be this thin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. I think Apple withheld them so they would have selling points for the 6s. The 16 GB option is ridiculous on a 6. It was fine on a 3GS, but the size of the OS and better camera and video capabilities make it a constant battle to try to manage on a newer device. It's also not fair to give the middle and high range and storage space boost for the same price, but not the low range. 1 GB of RAM is even more ridiculous. Browser tabs and apps have to refresh all the time because it's insufficient.

I think they held out on Touch ID on last year's iPads and Retina on the first mini for the same reason (selling points the following year).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yup.. But as long as they keep selling 14 bazillion phones a year they won't change a thing..

Spec wise (I know specs mean nothing) the iPhone 6 would be considered a mid range device in the Android and Windows Phone world.

I couldn't resist and picked up a Lumia 830 on AT&T yesterday. Microsoft calls it 'The affordable flagship' but to everyone else it's a mid range device. It has a 720p screen (iPhone 6 has a 750p), 1GB RAM, 16GB storage (with 128GB SD card slot)..

Spec wise pretty similar phones. The 830 was $449 but it came with a Fitbit Flex (they sell for $100). I can care less about the Flex and I will just sell it which will bring down the price of the phone for me..

16GB of storage would be a-ok if the iPhone had an SD card slot.. Without it, Apple almost needs to make 32 the low option..

The RAM thing is a serious issue as well.. I hope Apple addresses these next year even if they have to bump the pricing up a little..

#20 raqball, Nov 10, 2014