Does the mail use edge/data plan?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
I'm thinking the answer to this question is yet, but I wanted to ask to be sure. Does the iPhone use the data/edge plan to check and download emails using the built in mail software?

I'm thinking eventhough a person would connect to a WiFi signal, the phone still uses the data plan to check emails. If this is true, it just seems like it's a silly idea since the signal strength could be poor where you are, but you could still have a good WiFi connection. I don't know why they would not have the mail software use a wifi connection if it was available. (if it works like I'm thinking ... not positive)

JKD

Bronze
Aug 16, 2007
I'm thinking the answer to this question is yet, but I wanted to ask to be sure. Does the iPhone use the data/edge plan to check and download emails using the built in mail software?

I'm thinking eventhough a person would connect to a WiFi signal, the phone still uses the data plan to check emails. If this is true, it just seems like it's a silly idea since the signal strength could be poor where you are, but you could still have a good WiFi connection. I don't know why they would not have the mail software use a wifi connection if it was available. (if it works like I'm thinking ... not positive)
Mail uses WiFi when connected to WiFi and EDGE when connected to EDGE

rrjr80

Jul 3, 2007
This was my guess as well, but are we certain of this? I'm going to be doing some tests on my home LAN with a sniffer just be sure...
I am personally certain of this because I have poor cellular reception in my home. When I have absolutely no cellular cignal and the Edge symbol is missing, I can still check my e-mail using my home wi-fi connection. My phone downloads the e-mail very quickly and I know that it switched to Wi-Fi since Edge was unavailable.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I am personally certain of this because I have poor cellular reception in my home. When I have absolutely no cellular cignal and the Edge symbol is missing, I can still check my e-mail using my home wi-fi connection. My phone downloads the e-mail very quickly and I know that it switched to Wi-Fi since Edge was unavailable.
+1 email is internet based like most stuff on iPhone so WiFi can take care of it unlike voicemail.