Does the US (Verizon) iPhone 4 work in Europe?

CodeHead

Jul 13, 2011
If I take my phone with me abroad, will it work? Has anyone done this, and if so what kind of bills will be rung up?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
80% of the world uses GSM, so depending on where you go you may not be able to get a signal on your Verizon iPhone and be able to roam.

This is one of the huge advantages of the AT&T iPhone. But roaming is very expensive and although people who have AT&T phones have a signal in most countries, it's much, much cheaper to unlock it and buy prepaid SIM cards in each country they travel to.

A couple of options you have are to use Skype on WiFi or get an unlocked GSM phone before you go and buy prepaid SIM cards.

Vonwachtstain

Bronze
Jan 2, 2011
CT, USA
Little of topic but: can you take the US version of iPhone 4 to Europe and call one of their providers and ask them to unlock it for a fee? I know it's probably not that easy otherwise there would be no problem unlocking but I am curious why it wouldn't work. Is it because of different model numbers?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Little of topic but: can you take the US version of iPhone 4 to Europe and call one of their providers and ask them to unlock it for a fee? I know it's probably not that easy otherwise there would be no problem unlocking but I am curious why it wouldn't work. Is it because of different model numbers?
That will not work with the Verizon iPhone. It will work with the AT&T iPhone, but I'm pretty sure you have to sign a contract with them (O2 in England does this) first. I doubt they would do this to before selling you a prepaid SIM.

Vonwachtstain

Bronze
Jan 2, 2011
CT, USA
Thank you for info. My wife will be in France, Germany, and Poland in mid September. I figured I will give her my emei number and see if she can unlock it. Oh well.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There is generally a condition for them to unlock it, like paying off your subsidy early. But since you aren't their customer, it's probably not likely.
But if it is, it will cost roughly 200 USD to do it. ( hell, they won't care, so long as you pay $200, right?)