Does Touch ID need to be enabled to use Apple Pay?

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Does Touch ID have to be turned on in order to use Apple Pay?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Does Touch ID have to be turned on in order to use Apple Pay?
And this is a good thing. If someone were to pick up your lost iPhone and guess your four-digit passcode (or worse, you're not using a passcode at all), you'd be in for a bad day.

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
Apple Pay worked, but its not any easier than swiping. Still have to confirm total and sign for it. Unless I did something wrong.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Apple Pay worked, but its not any easier than swiping. Still have to confirm total and sign for it. Unless I did something wrong.
I just used it at Duane Reade (Walgreens) and I didn't have to sign for anything. I held up the phone and confirmed the total and approval with Touch ID.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
That could be the least of your problems..

You card can be captured as it's scanned.. Otherwise known as a 'skimmer' or 'skimming'..

Also, look at all the store credit card databases getting hacked recently..

Another scenario is when you hand your card over to a waitress or a waiter and they go somewhere other than right in front of you to scan it. This is a golden opportunity to copy your card info..

Apple Pay will and should eliminate all of these scenarios..

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
That could be the least of your problems..

You card can be captured as it's scanned.. Otherwise known as a 'skimmer' or 'skimming'..

Also, look at all the store credit card databases getting hacked recently..

Another scenario is when you hand your card over to a waitress or a waiter and they go somewhere other than right in front of you to scan it. This is a golden opportunity to copy your card info..

Apple Pay will and should eliminate all of these scenarios..
I sure hope you're right.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I sure hope you're right.
The merchant never sees your card info, so there is nothing to be hacked and it can't be skimmed either..

100 times more secure in my opinion! Sadly, I can't use it because my bank does not support it.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The merchant never sees your card info and it can't be skimmed either..

100 times more secure in my opinion! Sadly, I can't use it because my bank does not support it.
That's unfortunate.

How will it work if I have two cards on it? Will it ask me which card I want to use?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
That's unfortunate.

How will it work if I have two cards on it? Will it ask me which card I want to use?
You will have a default card which appears first when Apple Pay is activated but you can choose another card if you wish.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I went through my cards tonight and only the Capital One supported Apple Pay. There was an extra step in downloading Capital One Wallet from the App Store. I really would like to see more support for banks and financial institutions.