does triangulation only work with AT&T?

umurs

Jan 20, 2008
It may sound stupid, well when you don't know anything about it, you sound stupid...

i use my iPhone with tmobile and i just updated to 1.1.3...i try to use triangulation...i cant get it to work, any suggestions? is there patch or something for this?

thanks to u all

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not certain as I don't deal with unlocking, but I'd so no. It's most likely linked into AT&T someway. Try using LocateMe from Installer. It's not as accurate, but it's something.

Also, if you're on a jailbroken 1.13, what method did you use? If you used ZiPhone, then it's because of unlocking. However, if you used the Dev Team's method or Nate True's method, it's because you used those methods. You'll have to re-jailbreak using ZiPhone.

- John

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't know if Google Maps sticks with AT&T, but I doubt it.

For sure LocateMe doesn't: in fact it often shows that it used a T-Mobile tower when I run it. I think Google Maps uses whatever it can find too--even if it's not being used to make a call.

--
Mike

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
The locate me app never works well with me. It only finds one cell tower any time I use it so, it simply shows me where the cell tower is that it used. Never triangulates anything. I'm using a jailbroken 1.1.1 firmware. Does the 1.1.3. update, with the locate me official app, work any better?

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Might want to be careful about that... I read that a little information from your phone gets sent to Appe whenever you use the widgets...

umurs

Jan 20, 2008
Might want to be careful about that... I read that a little information from your phone gets sent to Appe whenever you use the widgets...
why would Apple care about which provider you use? I mean I get your point but if it was AT&T that is getting the info then I would be suspicious they would try something to stop me using the phone but Apple already got their money, why would they wanna stop me?

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
why would Apple care about which provider you use? I mean I get your point but if it was AT&T that is getting the info then I would be suspicious they would try something to stop me using the phone but Apple already got their money, why would they wanna stop me?
Apple gets a percentage of money for each AT&T Data plan on the iPhone. An unlocked iPhone = no monthly revenue for Apple. That gives them a reason to come after you...

The reason why the data plan for the iPhone is cheap is because AT&T was willing to budge so much to accommodate Apple's needs. Otherwise, the iPhone would be at any carrier's store.