Does Type of User Affect Attitude toward 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which category describes you?

• Windows user who LIKES upgrade 1.1.1

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Windows user who HATES upgrade 1.1.1

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Mac user who LIKES upgrade 1.1.1

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Mac user who HATES upgrade 1.1.1

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm curious. Are Windows iPhone users more upset about the recent update than Mac users?

My hypothesis is this:

Windows users may be more likely to modify their PCs, overclock the CPU, add hardware and drivers, etc. Mac users are more interested in doing cool things with cool software. After all, the iMac is a "closed" system with little access for non-techies.

Therefore, I believe Windows users bought the iPhone thinking they would be able to add apps, tweak settings, modify modifiers, etc. Mac users, knew what they were getting into and bought the iPhone exactly for what it is - a cool, unique, one-of-a-kind communication device.

Which are you?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm curious. Are Windows iPhone users more upset about the recent update than Mac users?

My hypothesis is this:

Windows users may be more likely to modify their PCs, overclock the CPU, add hardware and drivers, etc. Mac users are more interested in doing cool things with cool software. After all, the iMac is a "closed" system with little access for non-techies.

Therefore, I believe Windows users bought the iPhone thinking they would be able to add apps, tweak settings, modify modifiers, etc. Mac users, knew what they were getting into and bought the iPhone exactly for what it is - a cool, unique, one-of-a-kind communication device.

Which are you?
I am baffled. Are you really saying that historically (and recently with the iMac comment) that Apple computers are a walled garden environment?

Yeah, those Mac users are so known for lacking creativity and innovation...

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am baffled. Are you really saying that historically (and recently with the iMac comment) that Apple computers are a walled garden environment?

Yeah, those Mac users are so known for lacking creativity and innovation...
Don't be baffled. I'm simply asking if a Windows user is more likely to get into the 'guts' of his computer and tinker with it, so he is more likely to want to do the same with the iPhone.

And, I would argue that Mac users have long been known for being creative and innovative. Consider video systems, music systems, graphics professionals, etc. The stereotype (true or not) is that Mac users are creative and Windows users run spreadsheets - Just look at the "Hello. I'm a Mac" commercials. :laugh2:

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Don't be baffled. I'm simply asking if a Windows user is more likely to get into the 'guts' of his computer and tinker with it, so he is more likely to want to do the same with the iPhone.

And, I would argue that Mac users have long been known for being creative and innovative. Consider video systems, music systems, graphics professionals, etc. The stereotype (true or not) is that Mac users are creative and Windows users run spreadsheets - Just look at the "Hello. I'm a Mac" commercials. :laugh2:
I guess I read you the wrong way. I read it as Mac users being less likely to customize or innovate via software.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I believe at this point in time the argument could go either way. There as many innovative and creative Mac users who mod their software now as PC users. Though there are more programs now available to Mac some are just easier done on a PC. However, it could go both ways.

For Mac, it just seems that everything is done in a more colorful, and "fun" way rather than black, white, and grey on your superclocked Quad Core Extreme, refrigerated, black cased, riced out PC. :p And yes, I own the half sized version being a dual core Alienware PC.

So as of now I believe the differences lie only on the level of visual preference, and the applied use of the software.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
There was no "Killer App" bundled with the latest 1.1.1 firmware upgrade for the iPhone, just an App Killer...

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So, almost 55% of Windows users and only 14% of Mac users hate the new upgrade. It sounds like this might support my hypothesis: Windows users are used to tweaking their systems, so they're more likely to resent Apple's new upgrade, which disabled their ability to modify their systems.

By the way, it could be argued that Apple's reluctance to let people add third-party software to the iPhone is to maintain stability on the iPhone.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I totally agree with you. I am a windows user and was extremley gun shy about this latest update. When I read what happened to Tinman early Thursday, I decided NOT to update. I'm with att I just love to tinker. I'm afraid Apple is jelious or something. You'd think a woman was in charge over there or something.. No offense, ladies... XXXOOO

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Locked, standard issue iPhone on a mac updated with 1.1.1 - like many, i got reintroduced to mac through the iPod. it was brilliant. i was no longer forced to choose which cds to take when leaving the house or limited to the number of discs i could take for a road trip. the iPod was it. saw some sites where people were modding their iPods, changing logos and fonts and whatnot. nothing of value though. nice to know it could be done, but not sure of the purpose.

then i got a mac. then i replaced my iPod. then i got an iPhone.

the iPhone was it. mods were everywhere yet nothing excited me personally. im sure many will disagree. free ringtones? changing the carrier logo? NES (cool to show others but who really played it?). that retarded fish feeding game? it seemed that people were modding because it could be done and now that it can't (at least temporarily), they're ready to jump ship (at least temporarily).

i'd like to know...what was really lost? did i miss out on not modding my phone? was there some app that just was like yeah and all?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I'm not so sure you "missed out." You are correct to say that most of that stuff is useless. However, when you can personalize your phone by adding ringtones and wallpaper and games, it's just super cool. That's all. It proberly pisses off the 15 year olds a lot more than the 40 year olds (me). I'm just a big kid, anyway. Just ask my ex-wife.

Hopefully, the hacks will reappear soon and if someone would convince me that the ringer volume is louder after the update, I might just go ahead and get it. But until then, I'll play Defender and show off my Dallas Cowboy mods and HOT system sounds and ringers. (Did I just say "HOT"?)

No big deal, bro, you aint missing much.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
On a bus now, viewing EIP in full color widescreen. Got a treo at home on the shelf and a BB Curve in the bag on the seat next to me. Given the choice, I reach for the iPhone every time. Its hot in all its standard issue glory

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay, so now we have about 8% of Mac users who responded as unhappy with the update compared with 57% of Windows users who said they were unhappy with the update. What about the rest of you?

Is it that Mac people know that Apple will come through eventually, so they don't sweat it? Or is it the modification fixation that Windows users seem to have?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
maybe its just that more people own windows computers
I also think you'll get skewed results in a forum like this. People who are actually the type to come to a forum about their cellphone are a little on the geeky side of the fence to start with, so the ratio of people who mod their phones to people who don't is probably much different than out in the "real world".

And modders are the annoyed ones :)

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
maybe its just that more people own windows computers
Perhaps. But we're comparing Windows users with Windows users and Mac users with Mac users. 53% of Windows users hate the upgrade and only 6% of Mac users hate the upgrade. We're comparing percentages, not quantities. The quantity of one group over another has nothing to do with it.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I also think you'll get skewed results in a forum like this. People who are actually the type to come to a forum about their cellphone are a little on the geeky side of the fence to start with, so the ratio of people who mod their phones to people who don't is probably much different than out in the "real world".

And modders are the annoyed ones :)
You make a good point. That could skew the number of people who tend to "hack their phone." But, why do so few Mac users (1) hack their iPhones?