Does Yahoo PUSH work for you?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does Yahoo Push work for you?

• Yes, Yahoo Push works for me and sends my email to my iPhone immediately after it reaches my inbox.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No, I have to retrieve my mail manually from Yahoo.

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 11, 2007
Yahoo push email quit working for me at least 1 month ago. Now, in order to receive ANY email, I have to press the refresh button in the iPhone mail program. Both sending and receiving email on my iPhone works, but the push does not!

Does Yahoo push work for you?

GX1

Aug 14, 2007
Yahoo push email quit working for me at least 1 month ago. Now, in order to receive ANY email, I have to press the refresh button in the iPhone mail program. Both sending and receiving email on my iPhone works, but the push does not!

Does Yahoo push work for you?
NO!:( Mines stopped working as well. I have to manually check yahoo mail. I am going to try and contact Yahoo. It seems that AT&T and Apple cannot help at all. If we look that the big picture as a consumer "new phone/2yr contract " you may have good reason to break it. Free Yahoo Push-email is part of the deal and it doesn't work. I feel like I have to talk or email support from 3 different companies. Apple for iPhone hardware/software, AT&T for edge,VM...etc, and Yahoo for Push-email. That is ridiculous!:mad: AT&T or Apple cannot help.

I don't know why it stopped working, but you have to delete the yahoo acct from your iPhone then re-enter it in again. And you have to do this often (according to Apple support) I didn't buy this iPhone just to refresh my yahoo acct to get it to work on this overpriced phone. I expect the yahoo push to work like it is suppose to. However, since it's free, we probably get crappy service. I will try to contact them later today, but if nothing happens I will pursue the class action route. Some of us signed a contract with the understanding and agreement that these features come with the deal and is suppose work. I really hope they fix this because I really like this phone.:eek:

Sep 11, 2007
I don't know why it stopped working, but you have to delete the yahoo acct from your iPhone then re-enter it in again. And you have to do this often (according to Apple support) I didn't buy this iPhone just to refresh my yahoo acct to get it to work on this overpriced phone.
I have tried deleting my yahoo acct on my iPhone and setting it up from scratch numerous times and it doesn't help. I too am really angry that this doesn't work as promised. It says right here that I get a free Yahoo with "push" email. It also says so in the iPhone users manual on page 44. I am almost ready to go back to the Apple store and demand they make it work or refund me. It's Apple's responsibility to make it work, since they're the ones that promised it!

Last edited by a moderator:

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have tried deleting my yahoo acct on my iPhone and setting it up from scratch numerous times and it doesn't help. I too am really angry that this doesn't work as promised. It says right here that I get a free Yahoo with "push" email. It also says so in the iPhone users manual on page 44. I am almost ready to go back to the Apple store and demand they make it work or refund me. It's Apple's responsibility to make it work, since they're the ones that promised it!

I have had my phone since Sat and yahoo mail works great. Hopefully I don't run into the same problems that you are experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator:

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Mine works pretty well, but oftentimes has what I consider a significant delay. i can't count on it to push as soon as a message is received at Yahoo. This poll needs a third choice, Sometimes, but not always.

Sep 11, 2007
Create new yahoo acct to get push to work!

Just ran a few interesting tests.

Test#1:
I totally cleared my inbox (as suggested by others elsewhere) via the web page front-end for yahoo mail. Next I deleted my yahoo acct info on my iPhone and restarted my iPhone. I then setup the yahoo account again and tested sending mail to the acct ==> Result = NO PUSH. Had to finally check mail manually after 30 min. to receive the test message.:mad:

Test#2:
I created a totally new yahoo email acct via the yahoo web site and deleted the old yahoo settings from my iPhone. Restarted the iPhone and entered the *new* yahoo mail acct info on my iPhone. Next I tested sending email to the new acct. ==> Result = BOOM! Test email arrived on iPhone in 20 secs!:D. Repeated several times with same result!

So... it appears as though there is "something" wrong with my old acct. For the record, I had this old acct long before I got the iPhone, so maybe it resides on an old server, or lacks the proper settings that a newly created acct will have (although it used to work :confused:). Who knows? Anyway, this made PUSH work for me on my iPhone (for now). So what next? My fear is that if I migrate all my old emails over to the new acct and start using it, it will quit pushing like the old acct did.:rolleyes: Oh well, I guess I will just have to try it for a few days and see. Hope this helps someone.

GX1

Aug 14, 2007
Just ran a few interesting tests.

Test#1:
I totally cleared my inbox (as suggested by others elsewhere) via the web page front-end for yahoo mail. Next I deleted my yahoo acct info on my iPhone and restarted my iPhone. I then setup the yahoo account again and tested sending mail to the acct ==> Result = NO PUSH. Had to finally check mail manually after 30 min. to receive the test message.:mad:

Test#2:
I created a totally new yahoo email acct via the yahoo web site and deleted the old yahoo settings from my iPhone. Restarted the iPhone and entered the *new* yahoo mail acct info on my iPhone. Next I tested sending email to the new acct. ==> Result = BOOM! Test email arrived on iPhone in 20 secs!:D. Repeated several times with same result!

So... it appears as though there is "something" wrong with my old acct. For the record, I had this old acct long before I got the iPhone, so maybe it resides on an old server, or lacks the proper settings that a newly created acct will have (although it used to work :confused:). Who knows? Anyway, this made PUSH work for me on my iPhone (for now). So what next? My fear is that if I migrate all my old emails over to the new acct and start using it, it will quit pushing like the old acct did.:rolleyes: Oh well, I guess I will just have to try it for a few days and see. Hope this helps someone.
That is definitely good news!:eek:Shocking, but good to hear. Please let us know how things go during the week. I will do the same thing and create a new acct and try it tonight and through out the week as well.

karllf

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
i setup a new yahoo email for my wife 5 weeks ago and alls working good ... but i had a email with yahoo for around 10 years and its working good for me too , 2 iPhones and 2 emails and all is good .. you think it might be the place you live? i live in the mid west. louisville ky.

GX1

Aug 14, 2007
Nope. I tried it tonight and it doesn't work. Setup new a new account, but it doesn't work. Only when I check it manually i receive email. I think I will be going to the new Kaiser (8925) shortly. This is pathetic! :mad:

Jul 4, 2007
Mine worked for a while and then stopped working. I manually synced all the folders on my iPhone (apparently only the inbox syncs when you refresh on that screen) and then push starting working again for a few weeks. When it stopped working the second time, I tried to sync all my folders again, but it still doesn't work. I finally said "screw it" and deleted the Yahoo! account on my iPhone and starting using gmail again. It may take 15 minutes, but at least I can count on it to work.

It's funny that Yahoo! doesn't work for most of the people who have replied, but there hasn't been any comments from any of the companies involved.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Mine works on and off as well. At one time all mail that was sent to my Yahoo account never made it to my iPhone, After I went in and checked it on my computer and deleted some junkmail it all started working again. Im starting to wonder if you don't check it from time to time via computer if the mailbox is going dormant.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
For what it's worth, mine was working fine and one evening I noticed that it was not pushing. It happened to be the same evening I installed two apps to my phone, Squid and Sketches.

When I saw the push wasn't working I did a reset on my phone (incidentally I still have iTunes 7.3) and reinstalled all my ringtones and 3rd party apps except these two... and push was working again.

So while I cannot scientifically say that these two programs caused the problem, I can say with a degree of certainty that without those two items on my phone push works fine. I'll leave the conclusion for you to draw on your own.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What could be an issue for some...

If you have been guilty of adding, deleting, adding and deleting the SAME Yahoo email account on your phone you are GOING TO HAVE issues. The reason is there is a link that is created in your web Yahoo account. I had a situation where my phone would send but not receieve and come to find out I had multiple links created.. deleted them all and started fresh (including the Yahoo account on the phone) and all is well....as good as well can be with Yahoo.

I seriously don't understand why folks don't use Gmail more...

oh, the "link" is in your account settings and you will have to dig as it has been awhile since I went in there.. it is under account links or something like that.

Sep 11, 2007
If you have been guilty of adding, deleting, adding and deleting the SAME Yahoo email account on your phone you are GOING TO HAVE issues. The reason is there is a link that is created in your web Yahoo account. I had a situation where my phone would send but not receieve and come to find out I had multiple links created.. deleted them all and started fresh (including the Yahoo account on the phone) and all is well....as good as well can be with Yahoo.
To edit these "links", you must use the Classic Yahoo! mail interface and go to Options/Account Information, then in the right hand column at the bottom, click on "Manage Account Links" under the heading "Partner Accounts". If everything is correct, there should be two "Yahoo! Partner's Application" links listed: one for iPhone and one for isync (that is, if you sync contacts from Address Book on your Mac to the Yahoo contacts). You can determine which type of link it is by scrubbing your mouse over the "Deactivate" link and viewing the URL in your browser status bar. The word "iPhone" or "isync" will appear in the URL.

Incidentally, my Yahoo! Push email quit working about a month ago and deleting either of these links had no effect whatsoever. I have also deleted and added my yahoo acct on my iPhone *many* times and have never had more than one Partner link for my iPhone listed, so your information about multiple links for the iPhone is not correct (imo).

I seriously don't understand why folks don't use Gmail more....
I don't use Gmail for many reasons.

One, I want push email on my iPhone. However, since I can't even hear the new mail alert:mad: when new mail arrives, I am starting to wonder what the difference really is between having push email or simply polling for new mail every 15 minutes.

The second, reason that I don't use Gmail is because I hate their user interface. I want my mail displayed chronologically and NOT threaded. Gmail has no option (that I can find) to display my mail in this traditional fashion. It's just my personal preference. The third reason is that I really like being able to sync my contacts from my Address book on my Mac to Yahoo!, rather than constantly needing to re-import my contacts as is required with Gmail.

Finally, I prefer using IMAP and can't understand for the life of me why Gmail doesn't implement it for their users :confused:. After all, disk space is not an issue with Gmail.

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mine works fine, it comes in like clock work. But I do run WIFI a lot so maybe that is helping. I have not noticed any issues at all. i get the emails when I am in my car and they come in pretty quickly.