Does your auto brightness work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I don't see any difference whether auto-brightness is selected or not. Is my iPhone broke or is it doing something my eyes can't see. Best example I can think of is I walk out side in bright sunlight then the phone should go to max brightness?

iBrad

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i had to turn that function off... even though it was somewhat dark in the room, it would randomly go darker, making it harder to see

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
i had to turn that function off... even though it was somewhat dark in the room, it would randomly go darker, making it harder to see
Something tells me this function wasn't integrated very well. I hope it works because it would be sweet to have the screen adjust based on lighting conditions and I don't have to change it all the time

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Ok, I think I just figured it out. The auto brightness only adjusts for evey time you turn the phone on with the standby button on top. So if I turn on the phone when I am out side it goes bright. If I turn it on when I am inside it goes dim. If I turn it on inside and then walk outside with it on then the screen is dim until I turn it off and then on again. I think this is right and glad this feature really does work!

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Ok, I think I just figured it out. The auto brightness only adjusts for evey time you turn the phone on with the standby button on top. So if I turn on the phone when I am out side it goes bright. If I turn it on when I am inside it goes dim. If I turn it on inside and then walk outside with it on then the screen is dim until I turn it off and then on again. I think this is right and glad this feature really does work!
it was better on my sidekick. Whenever i was in the car and i wnet under a bridge the backlight would come on.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I don't think mine works.
Ok, I am still not understanding this auto bightness thing. Last night I tested it with a light on in the room and lights off and saw the screen brightness dim and brighten accordingly but it didn't adjust that much. today I tested the auto dim some more by going outside in direct sunlight and the screen brightens some but not all the way. Then when I walk inside it does not auto-dim. I tested this several times and am positive that it does not auto-dim but only auto-brightens. Anyone else share their experience?

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
from what ive gathered, my autobrightness works awesomely and flawlessly. i can see the screen at the right brightness at night, and in the sunlight without squinting or whatnot too much.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Turn auto brightness on.

Go into a room with a corner lamp. (turn on lamp)

Move your hand slowly in front of the top of the phone. If you are in the phone app, be aware if it senses "proximity" it will turn the display completely off.

You should be able to see the screen brightness change by gradations.