Does your iPhone rattle?

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
flip your iPhone over, so that the black (or white) is facing you.

now, lightly knock on the back (as if knocking on a door)

does yours rattle? sound somewhat like a spring maybe.

mine does, and the closer you knock twords the top the rattle gets worse

AbSoluTc

Jun 11, 2009

Sounds like your hearing the sim tray/card moving a bit. :) I did the knock thing on mine and in the middle, nada. Up near the sim, yes. It's very faint and it's just the sim/tray.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Mine sounds solid as a rock. You might be hearing the sim card or the tray maybe

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Yeah, mine rattles a tad bit when I tap the back of the upper part of the phone... Must be Sim tray

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
One question..Why were you knocking on your phone in the first place? :p

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Hahaha, I was just setting mine down on my mouse pad next to my iMac when it was having its first sync and I heard the rattle. Nothing too big I suppose.

raezilla

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
san francisco, califas

thats not the case for me, but i do hear myself a lot more on this phone then i did on my v1. kinda like a echo but not the service kind that we all know and love

Jun 22, 2009
Thank God i'm not the only one. I also noticed when I put it down on my mouse pad next to my iMac haha. My old iPhone 3G never did it, but this one does. I tried removing the SIM tray and still heard the noise. It seems to be closer to the camera lens. Perhaps something to do with that, or the accelerometer. I guess its somewhat normal then

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
mine also comes from the vibe/ring switch

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
i noticed the interior rattle, also my v1 had similar rattle. my volume button moves up and down sightly.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
My V1 didn't have this rattle. My volume switch also moves a little bit, but not loosely enough to cause this rattle. I wish I could put a little piece of plastic or paper in the SIM tray to "tighten" it up like I could with the old one.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Mine does not rattle, no loose buttons, but I do sense a little vibration when I set the phone down. I assumed it was the camera, which now has a moving part (so it can focus). It could be the sim slot too, or even the vibration device (which seems slightly weaker in the 3gs). Either way, it's nothing worth worrying about IMO.

Jun 26, 2007
Mine also rattles, plus I have a stuck but not dead pixel, so hopefully I can get it replaced.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Did some research and apparently this is a wide spread problem which is affecting most 3GS phones.

I am on my second 3GS and both of them rattle. I spoke to the Genius at Apple and they are aware of the issue and told me to hold on to me phone until there is a fix. He was willing to give me another one but said 99% chance it will have the same problem

Guess we will have to see if Apple fixes this

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
i went in to get my iPhone replaced, due to this rattle and a non flush screen.

he handed me a new phone, with a perfect screen. But it still rattles. not as bad as the first one, but its definitely there. I told the genius that this one had the same problem, his response was " its a brand new phone, they are going to make them how they make them. don't be so picky"

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
I think every phone has this rattle going on. Its gotta be related to the new internals somehow because the previous 2 gens don't have this. Maybe its related to the compass or the camera?

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Mine does. It's either the vibrator or the camera lens.